Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #1

Question No hot water !!!!!

Yesterday I had a problem that completely baffled me. This 2008 Bounder 37D is new to us, so I'm still figuring things out. This is our second outing in this MH. Went to use some hot water and found it was barely warm. Thought "water heater", but it was full on HOT water. Came back inside and turned on the kitchen water and ran awhile, still warm. Turned on the bathroom water and the kitchen water got HOT.

Called the dealer we purchased from and talked to the service manager. He said the bi pass valve must have gotten turned. I checked but it was in the normal position. I turned it off and back on and now I have HOT water again at all locations.

While it is fixed, I can't figure out what was wrong in the first place. Don't want to go through this on a regular so I'd like to know what caused the problem and why moving the bi pass fixed it ?

Bill

Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If the service manager was right about the problem being the bypass valve, maybe there was some type of debris partially blocking it, which was dislodged when you turned it.

fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #3

yep probably crap inside the valve. I had a customer come last week with no hot water. After checking the basics the thought was mixing valve at the heater, but then I thought for half a second and went and checked the faucets and lo and behold the outside faucet shower cold had been left on - thus acting as a mixing valve. Shut it off and hot water again at all locations....
Old 11-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Nuts......On occasion, this problem is caused by the outdoor shower. If it's turned on at the knobs, but turned off at the head, it will cause hot water flow issues. Make sure it's turned off at the knobs.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Yup, I'm in the habit of using the outside shower to bleed water pressure from Hot and Cold before I disconnect the water hose when de-camping, since it is right next to the hose connection. One time I left the knobs turned on, and couldn't figure out for a day why the water in the coach was luke warm at best.
Ooops !
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
If you do not have an incoming water filter....those are the types of reasons to have one. A simple one like this will catch the sediments before it reaches valves and faucets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01725 (2) (640x480).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	78948  
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Nuts......On occasion, this problem is caused by the outdoor shower. If it's turned on at the knobs, but turned off at the head, it will cause hot water flow issues. Make sure it's turned off at the knobs.
Great point there Don. Thanks for the heads up!
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:31 AM   #8

Thanks

Don,

Thanks, I believe you have hit the problem right on the Hot Water. I had been using the outside shower that day, as I was doing a bucket wash on the MH. I don't remember messing with it during my trouble shooting, but I'll bet I did and shut it off !!!

Thanks
Bill
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
#1 cause of the symptoms you mentioned is that outside shower #2 is the inside shower.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
One more thing not many talk about. There is a back flow valve at the HWT THAT may stick. Bug that doesn't tell me why hot in bath and not in kitchen. Still looking for thelogic it this happening.

LEN

Tags
water