Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
No one seems to show their Motorhome - wonder why?

We have had our MH for about a year now and have met many really nice people at various campgrounds and RV parks. Shared drinks, breakfast, stories and even helped out with and was helped with repairs. One thing that never seems to happen though is that no one wants to show the inside of their MHs. I have no qualms with it and don't offer just because it seems not to be done. I wonder why?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #2

I think most people just aren't real comfortable letting someone they just met 30 minutes ago into their home.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe the inside is a MESS.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
I think most people just aren't real comfortable letting someone they just met 30 minutes ago into their home.
I think that's the key. It may have wheels but its still my home.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

Most of us have pretty mundane, standard RVs with fairly limited floor plans and accoutrements, so I think the feeling is, "you seen one, you seen 'em all". We often invite folks in for visits, snacks, a sip of wine or dice/card games but it's usually not to tour our RV, unless someone wants to see a version of our specific rig.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In some cases, they are hesitant as they think it is bragging to show it off. In other cases, it is the opposite. Or maybe it is messy. Or perhaps they are afraid of dirt coming in on a stranger. I don't mind if someone asks to come in, I let them peak. Although I have never asked to see anyone else's rig.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #7

We have met several people in camp grounds that offer for us to come inside and have a drink or just to talk. Not necessarily on the first meeteing but as we get to know each other. We always offer the same if the opportunity presents itself. Met some really great people that way. We are very proud of our MH and are more than willing to give just about anyone the nickel tour.
Part of our normal morning routine is making the coach ready for guests.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have an 18-yr old, 27-ft MH.

Most of our campground neighbors have spankin new 40-ft palatial monstrosities that costs 20 times as much as mine.

What makes you think I would want you to see my MH ??

Not gonna happen, sorry.
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
And sorry, if I don't show any enthusiasm if they invite me over to theirs, because I'd probably turn them down nicely.

;-)
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When we got our first MH last year and to some extent when we upgraded this year we were excited to show it off. Perhaps "show it off" was taken to mean that vs us being excited and proud.

Now that we are full timers (still anchored to a job) I think we think more of it as our home and don't quickly invite others just to show it off. Yes, if someone asked we would probably be very happy to do so provided we had it "presentable". The other part if it would be if they were prepared to be in a confined space with 2 big GSDs whom they haven't met yet. (Meeting and greeting Gunny and Thor goes 2 ways and best done outside first. LOL)

I think I also had a teaching experience on this a couple months ago. While at the Spartan factory owners training class we were discussing things in our coaches and one person had a stacked W/D I was interested in seeing. I asked if it would be OK if I took a look at the set up and while they said yes, it seemed that they were a tad uncomfortable but didn't want to be rude. I decided to pass on the visit with no hard feelings. You see, that was actually our first full week of full time and we hadn't yet mentally made the transition from "camper" to "home" yet.

So, I think we are still learning some of the proper etiquette tips and tricks. We look forward to being good hosts and guests for years to come.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
I have an 18-yr old, 27-ft MH.

Most of our campground neighbors have spankin new 40-ft palatial monstrosities that costs 20 times as much as mine.

What makes you think I would want you to see my MH ??

Not gonna happen, sorry.
Funny you should mention that. A few weeks ago I was talking to a guy who had an '84 Wanderlodge. The outside was beautifully restored in it's Blue, Silver & White luster. We talked for probably 30 minutes about them and how there is a dedicated following, how it drives, what he's done to it etc. He camps in it often and we really had a lot in common, but the offer to see the inside never came.

Maybe it's me but it would be like someone standing next to their vintage Ferrari, and not offering to pop the hood or open the door for you to look in. Could be that I look at them more as vehicles and less as homes.

On the flip side, if someone with whom at I had some connection with stopped over my house (110 years old with some historical interest) for whatever reason and I had time, I would think nothing of offering them a quick tour.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #12

I think the feeling of being perceived as pretentious would be one reason.

When giving someone a ride home from a luncheon, I was invited into her house. She then proceeded to give me a tour of her Prevost that was parked at her house. While I enjoyed looking at it because it is way out of our league of what we could ever own or even have ever seen, I did think it a bit strange and can't help but wonder what possessed her to do that as we had not had any conversation about RVs. It felt a little uncomfortable.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We do full time and we have given tours to those that don't RV and wanted to see the inside, friends, family and those that do RV that wanted to see full time or not. Everyone always says the same thing seeing inside and that is "Wow there is so much room. Are you sure there's no slides?" It's just the floor plan is what we tell them, that's why it pays to look until you find what you want and need.
The first thing I do say thou is "Don't pet the cat. He's fine and won't bite but just don't pet him first thing" and it seems most still go to pet a strange cat without letting him smell them and then of course you have now scared him and he hisses ..... but we are still looking for another home for him. Have had him for about 3 yrs but Thom's allergies are just getting way worse but we just don't want to drop him off at another shelter, esp in a ones that are not no kill, that really would not be fair to him.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here's the outside of my '99..............It's not a 2010 that's for sure but it's pretty clean and nice shape that impressed me for being a '99.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote