Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #1

No power to outlets in kitchen

Anyone have a 2009 Phaeton QTH that can help me with some wiring issues?

I have no power to the two outlets above the counter next to the sink. The outlets say they are "GFI Protected" but they themselves are not GFI outlets.

I thought that maybe they were protected by another GFI plug somewhere earlier in the run but the only other GFI plugs I find are in the bathroom, the shower/sink area across from the bathroom, and the area below the cabinet in the salon area.

Oddly enough,all of them work except for the one below the cabinet in the salon area. I pulled the GFI Plug out and found there is no power going to it.

So in all, I have no power to the outlets above the counter by the sink, and no power going to the one GFI plug below the cabinet.

I have reset all the other GFI plugs and flipped off/on all of the breakers in the power box (in the bedroom) but this hasa had no positive effect.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Look for another GFCI master in the basement area either in the wet bay or storage area. It's also possible one of the Molex connectors that plug together in the basement ceiling area may have pulled loose from the slide going in and out.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Look for another GFCI master in the basement area either in the wet bay or storage area. It's also possible one of the Molex connectors that plug together in the basement ceiling area may have pulled loose from the slide going in and out.
Yes, now that I"m thinking about it, there is another GFI outlet in the basement area, and it doesn't work either. I'll pull it apart but I think what I'm going to find is there isn't any power going to it either.

As for the connectors, I've checked them pretty close but I'll go down and do it again.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
yup. we had a GFCI in one of our basement storage cabinets.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
yup. we had a GFCI in one of our basement storage cabinets.
Was it tripped and you just reset it? Or was it damaged and you had to replace it?
Old 09-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Was it tripped and you just reset it? Or was it damaged and you had to replace it?
tripped. reset and all was well.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
tripped. reset and all was well.
What year/make is your coach and where in the basement did you find it? I'm not seeing anything in the basement except normal, non-GFI outlets.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #8

i don’t recall in which compartment it was located...likely the curb side but it won’t help you as we had the dealer install it for us in our 2000 itasca suncruiser. i had planned to use it to keep a power tool charged but that didn’t prove to be practical. never used it much after that. it tripped shortly after we bought the MH new in 2000. i recall overfilling the fresh water tank via the gravity fill port on the curb side and two of the storage compartments got a lot of water in them. that might’ve been the cause. we no longer have that coach. if you’re not finding it then maybe you don’t have one.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:35 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1) My GFCI is on bottom side of wall cabinet looking up above the sink? 2) GFCI will not test or Reset if no power to it, but will also not test/ reset if defective.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #10

Thank you everyone for you efforts to help me solve this problem. I have looked for a separate "tripped" GFI plug but I have not found one. And I don't think I have overlooked it either as I have been pretty thourough.

Today I decided to disconnect the shore power and let the inverter take over. When I did, the one outlet below the cabinet in the salon are suddenly came to life. The outlets by the kitchen counter top are still dead.

So I'm looking at this as being 2 separate issues and I'm going to work on them one at a time.

Why would I have power at the plug when the inverter is on but not when the inverter is off?

More info:
  1. The inverter is original equipment.
  2. The inverter passes shore power through to the coach regardless of whether it's on or off.
  3. All the other inverter supplied outlets are working regardless of if I'm on shore power or inverter power.
Looking for suggestions...
Old 09-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Did you check the breakers on the inverter. If it's a Magnum, can have two on the side of the inverter.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #12

Our Xantrex inverter/charger also has two breakers on the side.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Did you check the breakers on the inverter. If it's a Magnum, can have two on the side of the inverter.
Thank you Don. The inverter is bolted to the roof of the basement, so it's upside down and a real pain to get at. But after fishing around a bit, I found a plug that had come loose.

It was not visible when looking in at the inverter, you had to get up inside the basement and start feeling around. So while feeling around for a breaker, I found the connection and plugged it back in.

And suddenly, we have power!

Tags
no power, power