Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
No power to starter solenoid

When in start position, I have no power at the solenoid to engage the starter.

If I tag 12v to the solenoid post, it will start.

I believe the wire goes to neutral switch on transmission then to ignition switch.

can anyone tell me how to trace the wire or solve the problem?

This is a 2005 40' Alpine.
Jestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #2

There is probably another solenoid in the circuit. The ignition switch, thru the neutral safety controls that.

That solenoid switches the higher power from the batteries, to the starter mounted solenoid. That slave solenoid will be somewhere between the batteries and engine.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
On my rig there is an "ignition solenoid" that controls the chassis fuses activated by the ignition switch.

That solenoid is located at the chassis fuse board.

I discovered that the ground had failed. Installed a new ground wire and location and off we sent.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestan View Post
I believe the wire goes to neutral switch on transmission then to ignition switch.
Your starter system will have a second relay ( solenoid ) in the heavy gauge wire that runs to the solenoid on the starter, that your powering up to work the starter.
The second relay , gets its ground from the transmission control module , when the transmission is in neutral, and gets the low amp 12 volt power from the ignition switch, and provides high amp 12 volt power to the solenoid on the starter. This second relay is usually between the chassis batteries and the starter, and because it's part of the chassis wiring could be mounted to the frame.
This photo is a common type of starter relay ( solenoid). Your's may not be identical , but has the same function.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2016, 07:12 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks. can you tell me where the wire goes from the solenoid?
Old 10-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestan View Post
When in start position, I have no power at the solenoid to engage the starter.

can anyone tell me how to trace the wire or solve the problem?

Can you tell me where the neutral switch is located?
Old 10-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #7

The starter relay gets power directly from the battery , on one side (one of the larger post) and the other side goes directly to the starter solenoid.
I've replaced the starter relay twice, in 7 years in my coach.

The neutral sense function , is internal in the transmission controller; however there may be a fuse, or another smaller relay, in the circuit, between the controller and the starter relay.

Look around the engine compartment , for a 5 inch square box, about 3 inches high, with 3 or 4 wiring multiple connectors into it's sides.
Right hand side of the photo below.
Second photo , shows cover removed, these are from my Freightliner chassis.
Third photo is a similar , box from a Spartan chassis with Cummins engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242 (640x360).jpg
Views:	262
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	141861   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243 (640x360).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	141862  

Name:	IMG_0507 (640x384).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	141863  
Old 10-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #8

Here's another photo showing my main starter relay, mounted on a plate, on the frame between the batteries and the starter; visible only from under the coach; before I changed it the first time . Red arrow. The other two items are 135 amp fuses to protect the 30' run of cable from the batteries ( coach and chassis ) to the front of the coach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Batery fuses.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	141864  
Old 10-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #9

All good input but none are from Alpine owners. The secondary starter solenoid for the 05 Alpine is on the backside of the rear bulkhead [not frame side] in the battery compartment [said another way--on the front bulkhead in the compartment were the air filter is located]. The solenoid is a std., continuous use solenoid, similar to what is pictured above. Starter and main solenoid are powered full-time thru large bat cables from the battery compartment. The secondary solenoid has two larger wires [10/12 gauge] coming from the bats and going to the main solenoid; and two smaller wired--one is a ground, the other comes from the ignition key switch in the cab. The secondary solenoid is subject to failure but you need to verify that feed wire from ignition switch is providing power in the start position. The ignition key switch is also subject to failure [owners often hang lots of junk on their key rings--not good for ignition switches].
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:38 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
All good input but none are from Alpine owners. The secondary starter solenoid for the 05 Alpine is on the backside of the rear bulkhead [not frame side] in the battery compartment [said another way--on the front bulkhead in the compartment were the air filter is located]. The solenoid is a std., continuous use solenoid, similar to what is pictured above. Starter and main solenoid are powered full-time thru large bat cables from the battery compartment. The secondary solenoid has two larger wires [10/12 gauge] coming from the bats and going to the main solenoid; and two smaller wired--one is a ground, the other comes from the ignition key switch in the cab. The secondary solenoid is subject to failure but you need to verify that feed wire from ignition switch is providing power in the start position. The ignition key switch is also subject to failure [owners often hang lots of junk on their key rings--not good for ignition switches].
Thanks Old Scout. Solenoid is okay. I am not getting 12 v to the solenoid which comes from the ignition to activate the solenoid. I believe the switch is fed by the neutral start relay located in the transmission VM. I am looking for tbe physical of that relay and/or transmission VM.

Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The starter relay gets power directly from the battery , on one side (one of the larger post) and the other side goes directly to the starter solenoid.
I've replaced the starter relay twice, in 7 years in my coach.

The neutral sense function , is internal in the transmission controller; however there may be a fuse, or another smaller relay, in the circuit, between the controller and the starter relay.

Look around the engine compartment , for a 5 inch square box, about 3 inches high, with 3 or 4 wiring multiple connectors into it's sides.
Right hand side of the photo below.
Second photo , shows cover removed, these are from my Freightliner chassis.
Third photo is a similar , box from a Spartan chassis with Cummins engine.
Thank you. I do not seem to have that black box in my Alpine. I have the fuse box but no neutral start relay
Old 10-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #12

Ok--before you get all excited trying to find a "black box" based on input from some other brand of coach, recommend you confirm you are getting power from the start position on the ignition switch. Ignition switch failure is a fairly common problem with your era of coach......
PS--less common but possible--the Allison shift display panel or the Allison tranny ECM may have failed. My shift display recently failed so no neutral sensing for ignition. If shift panel failure, no gear selection display on panel.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, solenoid, starter