Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #1

No Power to Upfront TV

So we arrive at our destination yesterday, and we have no power to the upfront TV. All else checks out. I expect that this is due to the failsafe mechanism that keeps you from being able to drive while watching TV. But I have no idea how that works. What should I be looking for?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
The relay could be stuck try cycling the ignition a few times. if all else fails you could use a short extension cord to bypass it till you can have it checked. The outlet itself contains the relay in some cases if you can get to it you could pull it and replace it your self.

mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The outlet interlock is driven by a simple 12v line that is on when the ignition is on. That operates the relay that mudpuppy described. Unplug the tv from the outlet and plug it in elsewhere to see if it works - that will tell you right away if the problem is the interlock or something else.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can see several possiblities. The interlock relay is #1 on my list. They can go bad.

Broken wires, Loose screws, Tripped breakers, (Including one in an inverter hidden smoewhere if the rig has one) more or less finish the list in no particular order. OH, I forgot one... Toasted TV.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #5

Thx. But where would the interlock relay be located? I can't get to the outlet. It is hidden in the TV compartment.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanker View Post
So we arrive at our destination yesterday, and we have no power to the upfront TV. All else checks out. I expect that this is due to the failsafe mechanism that keeps you from being able to drive while watching TV. But I have no idea how that works. What should I be looking for?
I can sit on the dash and see behind the TV. Perhaps you can also.

In any event, in many installations one outlet is interlocked while the other is hot full time. Just plug into the other outlet and see what happens.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like the other Hamguy (I'm a ham too) I can sit on the dash and see the back side of the TV, worked out good cause the guy who plugged mine in did so on a Monday I think (Did it wrong)

The outlet is in the compartment next to the TV, however, easily seen if you look to the rear behind the radio/Home Theater system. Though far as I know not a rule.. They usually put the plug where it can be gotten to without tools.

So my TV (Front one) is in the compartment next door (Bedroom was behind TV though)
Microwave in the cabinet next door

That kind of thing.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #8

Resolution to problem.

I called Forest River yesterday and the access I needed to get into the tv cabinet was in the rear,a panel that was velcroed in place. When I pulled the panel off and felt up into the area behind the tv, I discovered that the power plug had vibrated loose from the outlet. So nothing overly complicated here. I did discover the device that locks out the tv while driving. It plugs directly into the outlet, and the tv plugs into it. The interlock was fairly heavy and is what vibrated loose. So I removed it and am now on the honor system. That won't be a problem.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanker View Post
So I removed it and am now on the honor system.
I removed mine also. If you have in-motion satelitte, it sure makes verifying you have satelitte when parking. I turn mine on and then park, if it goes out, many times I can move just a little and it will find a hole to the sky.

Tags
power