Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2016, 05:13 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
No propane

On the road yesterday and had the LP tank filled. Reads full on the panel. Had the switch off while filling of course. This morning it's cold so we went to fire up the furnace and it will not come on. Next I tried the gas cook top. Not for heat, just to see if it works. No gas there. Oh and yes the switch is back on.

My first thought is to test the switch. Still dark out and cold so I'm waiting for it to warm up to do any testing.

Any ideas for me?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2016, 05:38 AM   #2

Does it have a manual valve ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:39 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the regulator go bad and it would not pass through the propane. It's easy enough to replace and is cheap enough. When you can go outside after turning the gas on. It may be freezing up which could cause this problem also. It also depends on how cold it is where you are and the blend of propane you have. My first thought is the regulator failed.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Not sure on manual valve, will check. I watched the guy fill it and didn't see him shut off anything.

Will have to look for the regulator also. We just woke up to this latest disaster.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:55 AM   #5

The person who filled the tank should have shut off the manual valve. Did you open it?

If you opened it there may be air in the lines that you need to run out. I'd do that with the stove. YMMV.

If you tried that and still don't have flow turn the valve fully off, give it a minute and turn in back on in case the excess flow device tripped. Repeat above. If that does not do it then jump on all the other failure modes.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #6

AND they almost never turn the manual valve back on again because that is your responsibility.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The person who filled the tank should have shut off the manual valve. Did you open it?
If you opened it there may be air in the lines that you need to run out. I'd do that with the stove. YMMV.
If you tried that and still don't have flow turn the valve fully off, give it a minute and turn in back on in case the excess flow device tripped. Repeat above. If that does not do it then jump on all the other failure modes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
AND they almost never turn the manual valve back on again because that is your responsibility.
HD4Mark & Tony Lee
I agree that the OP's problem could be caused by "a closed manual shut off valve" on the tank.... OR by a "tripped excess flow device in the tank".

If/when I open the manual shut of valve on my tank rapidly/fast the excess flow device in the tank will trip and prevent the gas from flowing.
(To reset the excess flow device I must close the manual valve fully and then slowly re-open it).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Here is what I have so far. Keep in mind I'm at a truck stop. Where the remote fill is there is an emergency LP shut off switch. Not a valve. It was "on" meaning the gas is shut off. I did not see him touch it, would have been easy for to him to do though. Tried it in "off". Still can't light stove with the LP switch on the panel on or off. Can't smell gas at the stove.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #9

Everything was fine prior to having it filled?

Do you have a residential frig, or a gas/electric? If gas/electric is the gas side of that running?

You should be able to hear the air or gas (whatever) when you turn a stove burner on, even if it won't light due to low gas content.

Not familiar with your systems. If you can't hear the stove when turned on, something has the propane shut down. It could be the emergency valve you're talking about, an interior LP monitor that's been shut off, the manual valve (at the tank) mentioned earlier could be turned off, it could be a frozen up regulator, or the high flow valve built into the regulator could be tripped.

Regarding the tripped high flow valve, that potential seems odd if the tank actually had been filled without turning anything off. So that remains a possibility, but not real likely.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:05 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If there is a manual valve it's on the tank and the guy eould have has to crawl under so that not it. The fridge is a residential. I capped off the line to the old fridge a fee years ago.

We will be in a CHANCE where I can get under and take a better look. Was hoping it was something stupid but it's looking like not.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:06 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Stupid auto correct. You get the idea
Old 10-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #12

Hired help may have over filled the tank...this can cause the emergency cutoff valve to operate.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Here is what I have so far. Keep in mind I'm at a truck stop. Where the remote fill is there is an emergency LP shut off switch. Not a valve. It was "on" meaning the gas is shut off. I did not see him touch it, would have been easy for to him to do though. Tried it in "off". Still can't light stove with the LP switch on the panel on or off. Can't smell gas at the stove.
HD4Mark
I have never seen, (or heard of), an ASME tank, (aka: permanently mounted on board RV tank), without a manual "service valve", (aka: "shut off valve").
"C" in this picture.

I believe even those tanks with "remote fill" and and/or an "emergency LP shut off switch" have a manual service valve on the tank itself which a propane pump jockey is required by law to close, (shut off), while the tank is being filled.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #14

Because your propane tank is mounted between the frame rails, they installed a remote, electric shut off valve, fill fitting and bleeder valve.

According to WB, there is also a manual valve, directly on the tank, only reachable by crawling under the MH.

If the excess flow valve tripped, you may need to shut the manual valve off for a minute and then slowly open it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane