Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
No water help

I just left Alburqurque and about a week ago my water lines froze. It was probably the 4th time they froze but they usually thawed out mid-afternoon. Well I am in Florida now and I still can't get water. I doubt highly the lines are still frozen. I can't fill my tanks or hook it up for system use. Any suggestions??

Martino78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
You don't say if the pump is actually running and that is a critical factor in where we start giving advice.

Multiple freeze-ups are bound to cause problems ranging from split pipes to wrecked pumps so it covers a wide field.

Can you hook up to city water and see whether water is pouring out somewhere, or whether everything works ok. That would narrow it down.

Sure you have water in the tank or did it split and drop the contents. If you can't fill the tanks, then isn't that the first problem to be solved?

Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Letting your pipes freeze over and over sounds like you are flirting with disaster to me. If they burst you could cause a lot of damage. You may have split the pump open. You might want to try draining all the water out of the pipes and then do an air test to see if any pipes or maybe the hot water tank or pump has burst.
2000 winne 37g
winniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
The pump seems to be running. The water from the tank is all used up. I hook the city water up and it isn't leaking anywhere. I don't think I have a burst line anywhere or I would probably hear it or see it running out.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Forest River Owners Club
Those water pump sounds can be misleading. There is a slight difference in sound from just "Running" to "Running and Pumping water" from the pump. Bet your pump is just running and has lost its prime---not actually pumping water. Your input to the pump is not getting water due to air in the line, input filter clogged, etc. If your water tank is out of water, the pump will lose its prime and even after getting water back into the tank, it sometimes takes awhile for the pump to actually start pumping water again due to air in the input line. Open your pump filter on the input to your pump and hook up to park water. Set your water valve to the "Fill Tank" position. If you don't have water there now, and your tank is not filling, then the problem is between the pump/water tank and input water connection/valve. You may have a clogged one-way water valve located just after the input water connection(Located right behind it--behind your panel) or water valve problem. You don't need the pump when on shore water, but you can use it to boost water pressure for showering, etc. Just remember that when the pump is on, you are using water from the water tank also. Sounds like your problem is near the main water input connection/one way check valve, the water direction valve (Fill tank or put water into coach) or the water lines in this area.
Jim and Connie, Silver City, NM
2016 Rockwood Ultralite 2608WS
3 lb. Teacup Chihuahua on board
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Martino78,
The key statement is that you can not get any water to the coach lines or fill the fresh water tank. I do not know your coach. However, the problem must be between where shore water is connected and the water tank fill point/direct to the coach point. This is usually a single valve. Find this valve and work it a bit. If there is still no water, you'll need to remove the panel in the utility bay to expose what is behind the shore water input connection.

This may sound dumb, but make sure you have water coming through the hose and getting to the coach.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
If the clear plastic filter housing at your pump has a crack from being frozen it will allow an air leak and the pump will not prime itself. (don't ask how I know)

Have a nice day - Darrel
2007 3912 KSDP w/350HP ISL Cummins
2003 Grand Cherokee toad w/M&G Brake
Darrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Found the problems folks....it was the shore water valve. The valve you connect the hose to. I went to camping world and bought a new one just to check before I brought it into be looked at. Changed it out hooked up the water and boom tanked filled up and water worked like a champ! Thank you all for the input!