Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a FRED. There is some noise but I suspect it's quieter than a Gasser. Then only time I notice it really is when Starting from a full stop or pulling up a grade. The rest of the time DW and I have no issues with it. You can add sound deadening insulation to the Dog house and/ or fire wall if you need to. I so far haven't seen the need.
As another poster said, take them for a spin and decide for yourself. Your going to test drive them anyway.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #16

My FRED in a C Class is a little less common than the A's, and the engine is probably even physically closer to me. I think there must be a few of us that actually enjoy the muted sound of a turbo diesel engine..its a thing of beauty to the mechanically inclined! Okay, maybe I'm in a minority
Siesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siesta View Post
My FRED in a C Class is a little less common than the A's, and the engine is probably even physically closer to me. I think there must be a few of us that actually enjoy the muted sound of a turbo diesel engine..its a thing of beauty to the mechanically inclined! Okay, maybe I'm in a minority

I too like the quite rumble.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #18

I own a 2014 gas with the Ford V10 but I had the opportunity to drive a Fred with a Maxxforce 7 last week so here is my two cents. At idle, the V10 is quieter. At normal cruising speed, there is not really and difference in the noise level, just a different sound. Hit a hill and the V10 downshifts and builds RPMs, the Maxxforce 7 just lugs along and is much quieter than the V10. Uphill, the diesel is quieter. Downhill, the gasser is quieter. On level ground, flip a coin.

Tags
diesel, gas