Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #1

Noise level driving front end diesel vs gas.

I'm looking at Tiffin MH. I was thinking of going with gas due to cost but noticed an open road diesel used for a good price. In comparing a gas vs diesel is one more nosier than the other driving with the engines in the front. I realize those with engines in the back are much quieter.
Keithmq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have had both and the front engine gas unit can be very noisy, especially when the fan kicks in. In both my diesels pushers I really can't hear any engine or fan noise.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a FRED with GM engine, was no louder overall than my current gasser. Both get loud when fan kicks on. Gasser is louder when pulling hills as it steps up the RPM higher than a diesel. Suggest to drive it and see what you think.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #4

One disadvantage of a pusher is that without the engine noise to drown out everything else, wind noise gets to be the most annoying noise you have.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
One disadvantage of a pusher is that without the engine noise to drown out everything else, wind noise gets to be the most annoying noise you have.
Agreed

It's a problem I will take tho!

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
When driving my DP with the generator (sitting in the front) on and AC's cranking, you can hear the generator but it's just a constant hum, not really annoying but it is noticeable.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I never notice my genny running when I'm on the road. It's very quiet. Even if it were noticeable It would be minor.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithmq View Post
I'm looking at Tiffin MH. I was thinking of going with gas due to cost but noticed an open road diesel used for a good price. In comparing a gas vs diesel is one more nosier than the other driving with the engines in the front. I realize those with engines in the back are much quieter.
Since you are asking about front end diesel versus gasoline, I'd say drive them both and see for yourself. Good luck with your choice!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #9

Keep in mind the later Ford gasser (3 valve per cylinder 6.8 liter V10) no longer use the engine mounted fan with the viscous clutch. They now have 2 electric fans mounted to the radiator shroud. There is no more howling of the fan when the coolant temperature rises.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #10

My 2013 Allegro Open Road is not noisy at all other than the few times I'm driving up a steep grade. Heard a DP heading out this morning from our camp ground and it sure was loud. He woke everyone up. Can't imagine one of those diesel generators running up front under driver's seat
Old 06-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #11

If you are overly concerned about noise which will definitely stop you from listening to your heart beat, but very little more, simply add blanket insulation to the dog house and fire wall. Going beyond that, you will have to plug your air conditioning, heating, and all fresh air outlets. Plus, you will need to add insulation to all windows and opennings, and well, you get the idea. Years ago, I had a very noisy Ford 460 with a cooling fan that roared like a jet engine. My mechanic, at the time, added a flexible vaned clutched fan that had to really get hot before being noticed.

If noise is a real issue, get some noise cancelling headphones.

You should not make your decision on type based on noise, it's a very small issue.
UncleRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A diesel engine up front might be noisier than a gasser. I never drove one. I do however,
Have a diesel Genny up front in my rig. Its quiet. You really can't hear it. Its a Onan quiet Gen. When I go outside I can hear it run, but it hums. Not anywhere near the noise of my main engine in back. I have to go outside to hear that also, or back in the bedroom.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:13 AM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
My 2013 Allegro Open Road is not noisy at all other than the few times I'm driving up a steep grade. Heard a DP heading out this morning from our camp ground and it sure was loud. He woke everyone up. Can't imagine one of those diesel generators running up front under driver's seat
Well you need to ride in a MH with a front mounted Onan as you will be surprised. When I am running I have to look at the lighted switch for the gen. to even tell that is on. When stopped it is more of a slight vibration rather than noise.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #14

Ya, if it weren't for the light on my onan I wouldn't know it was on! When parked and you fire it up you feel a slight vibration then you don't know it's there.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas