Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #1

I have an 05 Winnebago Minnie 24' with an Onan generator. This generator has always been louder than my buddie's older class A generator and I also notice a lot of vibration on the couch inside the motorhome, above the generator. I noticed the generator is not enclosed on the bottom, but perhaps enclosing it would make it too hot. Also seems like it should be on cushioned mounts or isolators. Anybody else have this problem, or know of any cures?
Malibu jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #2

I have an 05 Winnebago Minnie 24' with an Onan generator. This generator has always been louder than my buddie's older class A generator and I also notice a lot of vibration on the couch inside the motorhome, above the generator. I noticed the generator is not enclosed on the bottom, but perhaps enclosing it would make it too hot. Also seems like it should be on cushioned mounts or isolators. Anybody else have this problem, or know of any cures?
Old 09-10-2007, 01:32 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Malibu Jim, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to hve you join us here and we look forwardt o reading of your adventures and experiences. You do not want to completely close off the generator. I needs to breathe. The base inside also is mounted on a spring suspension design. What model fo Onan do you have? By chance did the installation manual remain in the coach? If not you can get a copy from Onan website. Check the installation and if correct you could have an issue inside the "box". Let us know and we will try to help.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:09 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Malibu jim:
I have an 05 Winnebago Minnie 24' with an Onan generator. This generator has always been louder than my buddie's older class A generator and I also notice a lot of vibration on the couch inside the motorhome, above the generator. I noticed the generator is not enclosed on the bottom, but perhaps enclosing it would make it too hot. Also seems like it should be on cushioned mounts or isolators. Anybody else have this problem, or know of any cures? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The generator in the Minnie spins at twice the rpm as those installed in most class A's and by nature will be louder. Check out how the exhaust is mounted and how it passes through the rock guard. There may be some binding there or an extra hanger on the exhaust that could transmit more vibration then normal.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll try to get over and ck it out the next couple days, as I park it over at my son's place.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #6

The generator is an Onan Whisperquiet 4000. Looking at the mounts; it appears to be bolted solid to a frame, which is welded to the motorhome body frame. No signs of isolators or rubber mounts.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Call Cummins/Onan and get an installation manual and verify proper installation. Let them know it is very noisey and you suspect it needs to be mounted differently than it is. If this is true is the coach still in warranty from the manufacturer?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #8

Referring to the rubber mounts/isolators mentioned above, my genset was mounted on those rubber isolators originally but over time the rubber pcs. seem to be missing now allowing metal to metal contact with the genset to the metal frame underneath, hence I have a lot of vibration inside the coach while the genset is running. I have searched high n low for a place who sells the replace Onan rubber isolators and have still found nothing out there. Has anyone replaced their rubber isolator mounts and is so, please share where you purchased them from. I know there are specialty companies out there who you could possibly get a close match but I'd rather get the OEM style that's suppose to be used with this generator. 5500 Marquis I think the model is. Mounted in a 2001 HR Vacationer, 35.5 ft. Thanks!!
Purerock is offline   Reply With Quote