Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #1

We do some camping at Nascar races and are not pleased with the noise level on our genset.(assume our neighbors agree)
It is a Generac 5500, what would be a nice quiet replacement.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #2

We do some camping at Nascar races and are not pleased with the noise level on our genset.(assume our neighbors agree)
It is a Generac 5500, what would be a nice quiet replacement.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:02 PM   #3

On Newmar diesels the Onan quiet diesel has become the standard although my '98 DSDP has a PowerTech (not as quiet) diesel.

I've never checked but perhaps Onan and/or PowerTech offer a quiet gasoline powered genset.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:00 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spoonman:
It is a Generac 5500, what would be a nice quiet replacement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Genturi Exhaust Adapter may do the job for you and be a much cheaper alternative.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdo...-System/skunum=14041
Old 11-22-2007, 05:37 AM   #5

Thanks for your responses,Neil, we use a genturi exhaust but the noise comes from the genset itself. Don`t know if it is the high rpm of the engine or generator. Had it to service center while in warrantee and they pulled unit and checked belt & pulleys but no better.I bought a dog house insulating kit from C-world and insulated the compartment which helped a lot when in the motorhome but did nothing to quiet the noise for our neighbors.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:08 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spoonman, I believe the ONAN Marquis 5500 Gas PLATNUM (Fuel Injected) is the lowest rated DBA genset for your class and rig size. It produces 67 Db at !/2 load which is typical for RV use.

ONAN Gensets - Compare Site

Good Luck - Glenn
Old 11-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #7

Spoonman, if you have a gas genset you might want to check this out:

http://hicklinpower.com/honda_ev6010_rv_generator.asp

Good Luck, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

At least half the noise of most gensets is vibration, not exhaust. That's why the Genturi doesn't do much for the problem, no does a muffler.

A better quality engine (finer tolerances) cuts the noise dramatically - a Honda or a Yamaha, for example, A deisel is actually quieter too, because it weighs a lot more (dampens vibration) and runs at half the RPMS of a gasser.

Last, a DC generator with an inverter to produce AC (like the Honda EUxxxxi series) is much quieter because it eliminates a lot of the rotating vibration/noise of the mechanical alternator. A DC generator + inverter can also throttle down when the load is light, which a mechanical generator cannot (it has to maintain RPMS to keep the frequency and voltage correct).

So your best choice would be something like a Honda EU6500is (I'm guessing a Honda EU3000is would be too small). But we are talking a lot of bucks as well as retrofitting the fuel lines to fit to the Honda.

If you want to stick with gas, one of the newer Onans is probably a modest improvement over the Generac. But only modest, I'm afraid.

Here's an idea. You probably don't need 5500 watts most of the time anyway, so how about using a portable Honda eu1000i for the routine loads (battery charging, tv, etc.) and just crank the big one up when you need a lot of watts? You won't even know the Honda is running.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spoonman:
Thanks for your responses,Neil, we use a genturi exhaust but the noise comes from the genset itself. Don`t know if it is the high rpm of the engine or generator. Had it to service center while in warrantee and they pulled unit and checked belt & pulleys but no better.I bought a dog house insulating kit from C-world and insulated the compartment which helped a lot when in the motorhome but did nothing to quiet the noise for our neighbors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An Onan Marquis Gold or Platnum properly mounted should do the trick. Mine is quiet enough that many have to walk around the coach to verify that it is running. Most of them have Class C coaches with high rpm generators that make a ton of noise and they are not accustomed to what being able to run at half that rpm does to cut down on the noise levels.

I also have installed the EC30 AutoStart module from Onan which has paid for itself in fuel savings in the first few trips since I installed it.

Shop around the RV sales lots and audition the various choices in generators that are in the rigs at you local dealers and hear which ones may be suitable to you.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:45 AM   #10

Thanks to all for good advice & interesting links.
Dick
Old 11-24-2007, 12:58 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NeilV:
[QUOTE]
I also have installed the EC30 AutoStart module from Onan which has paid for itself in fuel savings in the first few trips since I installed it.

Neil,
How do you save fuel this way? With fuel pushing $4, I'm interested in the payback.

Spoonman,
I have a Onan 7.5 fuel injected model that is very quiet.

But ....
I also use a little Honda 650 gen. I bought a 35 amp bat charger at Kragen/Checker for $69 (the common type you see in a big box on wheels) and use the quiet little Honda to keep the coach batteries charged. This allows me to power my dual sat tuner/dvr and two Sony lcd tv's all day long and into the night without running the bat down. Besides being quieter, it is much more fuel-efficient. The Honda will put out 500 w continuously for about 6-8 hours on gal of gas. My Onan will consume gal in 1-2 hours. Also, what I did was take the guts out of the charger and mount it up under the coach near the batteries and hard-wire it in to reduce loses from the cable clamps. We dry camp a lot at the sand dunes, desert and mountains and this set up has worked for me 9 years now. That little Honda just keep's-on-truckin' all these years.

BTY, can't wait to get NASCAR season going again!

Happy Trails,
Duner
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:32 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duner:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NeilV:
[QUOTE]

Neil,
How do you save fuel this way? With fuel pushing $4, I'm interested in the payback.

Happy Trails,
Duner </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duner,

I just set the Autostart and walk away. The generator starts only when the AC calls or the batteries need to be topped off. Even if I use the house AC while driveing the EC30 unit will only run the generator when the thermostat is calling for AC and then automatically shuts it down. The higher the cost for gas the greater the return.

I travel with animals and the temps are usually in the high eighties to high nineties. Before the EC30 I would have to leave the generator running the entire time while now it runs only when there is a need.

Also saves me on maintenance and oil changes.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:07 AM   #13

Bill,
The more I think about it a portable would be my best option. Will probably sell my mh and look for something else in the not too distant future.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
our onan 6500 gold is very very quiet
most of the noise you can hear is air flow from teh cooling flow

inside the rig its almost impossible to hear it running
we have been very pleased with its operation

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote