Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
When we were looking, we came to the conclusion that all of the salespeople we dealt with in and around central Misssouri, were either used car salesman or in a couple of cases were recently released from custody. I hate being asked right off the bat, what is your price range and what payment can you afford? We finally bought from an individual and the day we agreed to buy ours, Reliable RV in Springfield, Mo called(after 3 weeks)to inform us they had decided to accept our offer. I just can't stand to deal with salesman that treat me like an idiot or think I believe anything they say. Several years ago we decided to trade our 86 Gulfstream in on a newer Class A, again dealing with Reliable and it was the old pressure tank sales, one would talk for a while and then other would come in and take over. They were trying to get me to give them mine and pay full asking price for the one they were selling, plus add on what I still owed on mine. I looked at them like they were nuts and didn't go back to that dealership for several years. Hate high pressure sales tactics and refuse to deal with any company that utilizes them.

2000 Pace Arrow 33v
10 Kia Soul-05 HD Ultra Classic
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #16
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sadly, it's not just RV salesmen that are like that, You have more or less described ALL Commissioned sales staff. No matter what the product.

That said.. There are exceptions, There are a few who like Kris Kringle in Miracle on 34th St will send you to a store which better meets your needs.

But like Kris Kringle (The real one) they are kind of rare.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There are some fine ones out there and DeMartini did not disappoint us. I own a sales and service facility although not RV's and will not tolerate a salesperson that does not fit the customer to their needs. No commissions. TLC. Think like a customer and know our products. If another vendor suits their needs better, tell them. Forty years at the same location proves our methods serves us and our community well.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
Most things are relative, and my thoughts are that if RV salesmen are compared to Life Ins. salesmen, the RV sales persons become saints! Just my thoughts. Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Good advice given.

Just KNOW what you want, ask for the offer in writing and tell them you'll be back the next day.
John & Diann
2014 Dutch Star 4364 - 2011 CRV EX-L AWD
JohnT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Be careful, even if you do get things in writing they may turn around and still do what they want.
Not RV but our toad. Specifically said that we wanted to register it in MI and they said no problems. 3 weeks later we get tags in the mail at our MI address for CA. Their reasoning "well even if you drove it in CA for one day you still have to have it registared in CA, everyone that drives here even for one day has to register it here in CA."
Now we have to double pay taxes, tags and stuff to get MI plates on it ..... gjhajkfdheljkh
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #21
You will find all kinds, as previously stated. The one thing I find interesting is that very few sales people seem to actually own and use an RV.

I guess the other thing I would add is that present day sales people do not seem to be as pushy as they used to be. I can walk on a lot and just tell the person that I am just looking and they will walk away, saying if there are any questions come see them.
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I purchased both of my RV's from the same salesman. He actually owns a MH and gave us some very good advice. No high pressure and told us to go home and think it over before we made such a big purchase. So to answer your question, there are honest salesmen out there but they are probably few and far between.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #23
We just came home from a dealership in Tulsa (Camperland). The salesman was great. He actually happens to be my brother's next door neighbor. We had a good time, I bought a used class A from him. He knows, and I told him too, he's the one that'll have look my brother in the eye every day, so take care of me. He did, I felt good about the deal. My brother said Eric was a great guy with a big heart.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #24
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
We just came home from a dealership in Tulsa (Camperland). The salesman was great. He actually happens to be my brother's next door neighbor. We had a good time, I bought a used class A from him. He knows, and I told him too, he's the one that'll have look my brother in the eye every day, so take care of me. He did, I felt good about the deal. My brother said Eric was a great guy with a big heart.

Throughout the years, we got to know 2 great car salesman..one Ford & one GM/Chev. They been there forever for a reason. Can be trusted, where we found that every new vehicle we purchased there was always a great deal without the nickle & diming. Never pressure sales. Both salesmen want to make sure we get exactly what we need without all the bullcrap. As example, our Cadillac salesman is over 65 years old (semi retired)...when we first met him he was running all over the car lot to get us what we need while browsing. That was impressive. Super nice guy and still today...once in awhile he will call us and see how things are going...including the family and all that. Relationships is a great sales tactic that many cheesey salesmen underestimate imo.
Josewales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #25
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To be sure there are some fine salespeople out there but they are rare. The reason they are fine is that they have escaped the mundane, they mature away from what they are told to do by sales managers when they first learned the business.

The reason sales people continue to be cheesy is because it works much of the time. It is up to consumers to change the behavior. Methods for doing so have been spelled out in this thread.

My son in law is a sales manager and he has a loyal following of customers who have stayed with him when he has changed agencies, end of statement.

It is very possible to combine selling and decency but you must reject desperation; sell the vehicle not your integrity and you can have longevity as a salesperson, and in the process make a lot of money.

I would think that on line purchasing has mellowed much of that behavior in car sales. Price it and buy it then pick it up is a good way to go, still I hear of salespeople changing the deal or adding on when a customer arrives for pick up. Cheesy.

We keep things a long time. We have purchased a car and an RV in the past ten years. For the record my RV sales person was fine just inexperienced. I got my 28% off so it was fine just a bit clumsy.

Our car salesman was slick polished and experienced but when he came in and said "well we just cannot accept your offer so let's part as friends"; I smiled and said fine shook his hand and walked out the door. The sales manager was right behind me and we went back in to write up the deal.

I wasn't offended and do not blame them for trying.

One good cheese deserves another.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #26
Many RV salespeople are "cheesy", some are not. Keep looking for the good ones. When you get a high pressure one don't walk, run away.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #27
When faced with the first dumb question like "Are you going to buy today?", I usually pause, look the salesperson in the eye and ask "Seriously?". The conversation usually moves to a higher level of intelligence from that point on. If still necessary, I'll ask about how he/she is doing in meeting sales quotas. If somebody is going to do the intimidating in this transaction, then it may as well be me. While establishing rapport has its place, we are sitting at this table to conduct business, not discuss our "feelings".
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #28
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most salespeople I've met just plain "Lie through their teeth". Everything that comes out of their mouth is plain annoying and frustrating.

TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote