Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #1

Noob here...are all RV salesmen cheesey?

Last month my wife and I started doing our homework before buying a new MH for the new year. This includes visiting all the RV lots here in Calgary AB area. Knowing and seeing some of the deals that our American cousins offer, we are very open to purchasing one south of the border if we can't find a similar deal up here. Also, we are well aware of the 20-30% drop in price in negotiations...as numerous blogs and searches advised.

With that said, our visits to the RV lots has been undesirable. Always 'our product is better' and brushed off soon as the salesmen realized we are not there to buy one today, but only doing our homework in the new year. We had one salesman asking what price we are looking for. I replied 'a price that competes with south of the border'. He said he can easily do that. Good I thought...then all of a sudden an extra $10k in fees haha. I told him I am more than willing to spend a few hundred bucks on a plain ticket. And so on....

Point is that I have come to a quick conclusion that RV salesman can not be trusted. Makes car salesmen look like saints.

Is the cheesy sales tactics normal in the RV industry?

Once we targeted a reliable MH, our approach will be 'here is our offer...take it or leave it'! And spare us the bullcrap

One big worry, if the salesman reflects the business....one can only imagine what the service is like once the MH leaves the lot.

Cheers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the wonderful world of RVs. There are a few professional sales people in the industry, but for the most part, I would not trust an RV or truck sales person any further than I could throw an elephant.

Just do your home work, make a reasonable offer and be prepared to walk away. Also, make sure anything promised as part of the deal is written as part of the contract. DO not sign the papers at delivery or give them the money until you are 100% satisfied with the RV. They seem to forget really quickly that you were a customer last week.

The last RV we bought (used) I went over it with a fine tooth comb and we were ready to deal. They were throwing numbers and add on items. I let them finish and I got out my check book and told him I would write him a check for $XX,000.00 right now for the unit, with the following adds, our trailer as trade, tax, title, license and 3 year extended warranty (XtraRide Platinum) and no more dealing. He was gone about 15 minutes and came back and said DONE DEAL. They completed the paper work for the contract and we were gone. We picked it up a week later and all items were taken care of, we moved out of the trade and into the newer trailer.

Just remember it is your $$$$ and they need to meet your expectations to get it.

Ken

Old 09-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

Short answer - yes.

As mentioned, do your (own) research!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #4

Josewales,

First, ALL rv salespersons are not cheezy gladhanders. That said, ALL of the five Entegra salesmen with whom I worked were Class A fraudsters! I did an enormous amount of chassis, engine, coach maker research before making my first salesman contact. My choices were narrowed down to either a new Entegra or a used very high end coach, either an American Eagle or an American Heritage. After speaking with the Entegra salesmen, meeting three in person, the bride and I decided to focus on finding a used Heritage at or below the new Anthem price. We found just what we were seeking and the salesperson Greg Matricito was as good as my Mercedes seller! Call him at Lazy Days in Tuscon, AZ. He played no games with us and followed up on every large and tiny item we negotiated. He even brought our attention to things we did not notice, and had the repaired or replaced.

All the Best,

Captain Stan
Old 09-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the salesmen. You should have no problem negotiating at 30% off MSRP.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #6

When you make an offer that makes them look at you like you have 3 heads, you have set the low point in negotiations. They took my offer two times.

20 to 30% is ballpark. Go for the jugular! Last time I got 43%.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sales

I agree they suck to no end.
I just met a couple from Texas that has purchased a Tiffin -Phaeton- beautiful coach and they are, technically out of warranty, in a dilemma with a service guy in another state that really messed their coach up... these guys just were approved by Tiffin.. So I told Bill to call the top man and see what he says ... Bob Tiffin called him back to review his case.... A man is coming from CA. to check it -drivability- so they can take it to Red Bay Alabama to be repaired UNDER WARRANTY !! sounds like that is where I am going.

Sales guys --- Always Always be aggressive with them - they are born that way .... lies and cheats are in their DNA .... If you cant get it in writing all bets are off... good luck
Old 09-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you like abuse buy new!
But... Whats wrong with used?
I never met a salesman I liked no matter if he or she was selling pencils or rocket ships.
People who buy new are great,they soon realize they made a mistake and pass on the savings when they decide to sell.
Unless...........Financing is an issue?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josewales View Post
Point is that I have come to a quick conclusion that RV salesman can not be trusted. Makes car salesmen look like saints.
Is the cheesy sales tactics normal in the RV industry?
Cheers.
After working at a auto dealership for 34 years, I thought I was up on every salesman's trick in the book. Then for a unit that the DW and I both fell in love with in Montana and fell victim to their tactics. Even if you think you've covered all the bases, the worst of them will find a way to slip it to you.
I have no idea, how many salesmen worked at the dealership over the years , but I can name the three I would trust, what they had in common , they had their own list of repeat customers, and got 99% of their new customers by referral from their existing customers. Honesty paid off in spades for those three.
For the rest of the purchase process, I'm with "TXiceman" and his advice.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I've been researching used pickup trucks to use as a Toad and came across a great article on Edmund's.com. They had a new writer go undercover as a car salesman for 2 months. Great insight into the vehicle sales life & recommend it to all.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #11

When we lived in Calgary we bought a RV from Midtown RV in Penticton. As we had a driver's license from AB. and were bringing the RV back to Calgary, we only paid the gst and not BC provincial tax. You might want to extend your search to BC as well, importing a RV into Canada from the US is another story. We have done that as well, you just have to know what you are doing. We just bought another RV from Midtown but now that we live in BC the tax break is another story.....
Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeachland View Post
When we lived in Calgary we bought a RV from Midtown RV in Penticton. As we had a driver's license from AB. and were bringing the RV back to Calgary, we only paid the gst and not BC provincial tax. You might want to extend your search to BC as well, importing a RV into Canada from the US is another story. We have done that as well, you just have to know what you are doing. We just bought another RV from Midtown but now that we live in BC the tax break is another story.....
One of the three that I would trust , works at Midtown now. Sadly , when we were looking; 4 years ago; they had nothing in stock we were interested in.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My experience is that salesmen and women all go to the same school. They have the same patter and the same tactics and the same lame questions anticipating the same lame responses they have learned to receive from us. The really good sales people have broken that mold but they are rare.

It is not personal do not make it so by being offended and do not worry if they seem offended, it is part of the "game". Prepare yourself and use your skill it is a simple game. Just be honest and straight and stick to it. For instance I told a sales person if he came back with a different deal then I was not accepting it, well he tried predictably and I left only to be followed by the sales manager who wrote the deal. It was their plan all along to get a bit more money but when they could not a sale is better than passing over a few hundred, and in RV parlance sometimes a few thousand dollars.

To insulate ourselves we need to be knowledgeable about what we want to buy. Getting experience practicing buying is a good thing. What I mean is a few failed attempts just adds to experience. Use it wisely and learn to stick to the subject at hand, getting yourself the best deal you can on that day.

Know the price you are willing to pay, listen carefully, don't buy anything after you have agreed to a price no matter how good it sounds. One sure way to secure the deal you want is to walk away. They will follow, or call later. There is no such thing as a deal "I can only offer today".

Don't fall in love with the rig you want until after the sale. The same is true of the sales person, he/she is not your friend (during negotiations), and may never be. Friendly is fine but don't feel sorry for them they will not make a deal they cannot afford, you might.

If you have it in writing or in your drive way then you have it, otherwise it is smoke until you get the keys.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #14

Great feedback folks!

Bottom line. Figure out at stradegy and stick to it.

Roger that.

Thanx!

Tags
sale