Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 03:59 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
NooB in need of assistance please. Fuse issue...

Greetings and salutations,

First off I'd like to say thank you for the assistance and advice given to me on my last minor issue. That problem has been corrected but am now facing another minor problem.
I'll start by telling you about my unit. It's a 25' 2011 Monaco Montclair. I purchased barely used, like new some three months ago, it had 5900 miles on it. It is my daily driver so it does get used but not abused. I travel 12 miles a day with it.

Here's the problem. Three weeks ago I put the slide out to do usual weekly cleaning. ( Vacuuming, dusting, etc.) The slide was out for most of the day. Upon returning the slide it now blows the fuse that controls the light over my dinette. If I put the slide out and replace the fuse all is well until I return the slide when once again it pops the fuse. It does not hinder me from using the rig but it is annoying. I've tried following the wiring to see if there were any issues but have had no luck correcting the problem. Since my rig is now out of the dealer warrantee so I'd like to try and fix the issue without returning it to the dealer. Any suggestions of what to look for? Any and all help/suggestions greatly appreciated...

With sincere gratitude,

Rob
Tampa

GrassShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing comes to mind but check your manual or fuse holder and see if perhaps it could be that someone put a lower amp fuse in at one time. It may be to low [someone put in] causing it to blow. Just a thought.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
What size fuse is in it now, the thing is if it drops down instead of staying on top of the main floor it takes a lot of amps to get that box in
Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
One thing comes to mind but check your manual or fuse holder and see if perhaps it could be that someone put a lower amp fuse in at one time. It may be to low [someone put in] causing it to blow. Just a thought.
It's a 15 amp fuse in there. That is what was i there when I obtained the coach and it had been working fine until the day I left the slide out for most of the day.

Thanks for you reply,

Rob
Old 09-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #5

Is the light located in the slide you're moving? It's possible a wiring is grounding out when you retract it, you may have to look there.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauto5150 View Post
Is the light located in the slide you're moving? It's possible a wiring is grounding out when you retract it, you may have to look there.

Indeed, the dinette and light is in the slide. Everything worked fine until about three weeks ago. I thought it might be a grounding issue but I'm not electrically inclined so I'm not all that sure what to look for.

Many thanks,
Rob
Old 09-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The movement of the slide has somehow removed the insulation from the dinette wires and are causing a direct short. Or has lossened a connection in a way to cause a short. It's unlikely this would be inside the slide itself.

I would extend the slide then go outside and look underneath. You should have one, maybe two cords which are coiled like a phone cord.

If you have a 110v outlet in the slide the cord will be carrying high voltage, so be careful. The 12v wires could be in the same cord or in a separate one.

Just thoroughly inspect all cords/wiring for any kind of wear or rubbing on the slide mechanism.

I'm suspecting when the slide comes in the cord droops and contacts the slide frame.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
The movement of the slide has somehow removed the insulation from the dinette wires and are causing a direct short. Or has lossened a connection in a way to cause a short. It's unlikely this would be inside the slide itself.

I would extend the slide then go outside and look underneath. You should have one, maybe two cords which are coiled like a phone cord.

If you have a 110v outlet in the slide the cord will be carrying high voltage, so be careful. The 12v wires could be in the same cord or in a separate one.

Just thoroughly inspect all cords/wiring for any kind of wear or rubbing on the slide mechanism.

I'm suspecting when the slide comes in the cord droops and contacts the slide frame.
Thank you for the informative reply. I just extended the slide to look for any type of wiring like you mentioned. Nada. Looked under and above the slide. There is wiring on the inside of the slide that looks like it should run to the light fixture but I can only follow it for a short distance. Back to the idea board again. I was really hoping I could get this fixed without having to return it to the dealer.

Many thanks for the help.

Rob
Still pondering!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hmm.. I'm certainly not familiar with the slide on an '11 Monaco. However, the wiring must come from the coach into that moving slide somehow and the movement is causing a dead short. Did you look for any removable panels under there that may expose the wiring?

Failing that, I would post this in the Monaco forum where you would probably get more specific help. Good Luck.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse