Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Noooo not again!!! bad differential

Just a year and two weeks and ten thousand miles ago I had my rear diferential replaced at a freightliner dealer because when I drained it for a regular fluid change I found lots of metal shavings and small pieces of metal and the fluid was black, so today I was greasing the chassi and I decided to check the dif fluid and again lots of metal shavings almost like gliter this time its not as bad as last time but its not good. I will be at the dealer first thing in the morning droping it off for them to check it out, I hope that they will be able to warranty this thing, by the way I have a 2006 fleetwood discovery. As any one else had dif problems or is it just my RV? Joe

ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
is this left over from the previous repair? a poor job of cleaning will pollute the fluid quickly if so should be warrantied.
but we do see very fine metal particles on the drain plugs of our fleet trucks at every service it will be a gray mush, we clean the magnets and if we suspect more problems we run a magnet to the bottom and check for flakes.

pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Well I toke it to the dealer and they sad that its probably was from the previous repair so I had them change the fluid and I will keep a look on it. Joe
Old 10-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
rear end again

Have them flush it not just drain it!
savitbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I am sorry to say but that is bad. All those metal particles that were left in the housing have now gone through all the carrier bearings, pinion bearings and wheel bearings and have damaged the races and roller bearings. That oil doesn't just sit in a pool inside that housing the gear meshing while driving is like a pump and that oil is thrown around everywhere with those particles. That differential housing should have been stripped and washed out when it was rebuilt. I think you and that service department to come to some agreement as to either taking it back apart and cleaning it and inspecting and installing all new bearings if required. If not then I would have him sign something on an extended agreement if you have a future bearing failure.
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
They did take it all apart and cleaned it all out checked the bearings and replaced the seals, this time it's not that bad that it's got lots of metal they told me that most likely that was some residue from the previous failure so for now I had them change the fluid and before I put it away for the winter I will check it again. Joe