Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2016, 08:33 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Norcold Class Action

For those who have not joined the class action what's your reason?
For those who have what's your expectations?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post

I've had four Norcold refrigerators over the past several years and never had a problem so I'm not joining.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #3

Never heard of anything, but 12 years on and my fridge is awesome so dunno what the issue is anyway.

Update, since posting the above I did a few searches. Sure is a lot afoot. I had no idea.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:01 AM   #4

I don't own a norcold but there should be one more question. Who's pockets are getting fatter from this law suit not the consumer.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I don't own a norcold but there should be one more question. Who's pockets are getting fatter from this law suit not the consumer.
We've had 2 Norcold refrigerators over the last 16 years and neither of them has given us a problem. No harm no foul no need to join a class action.

As for Tha_Rooster's comment I believe the lawyers and the law firm will be the only winners. A couple examples are a class action against Ford in the 70's The lawyers walked away with a couple million, the principals of the suit each got around $50,000.00 and the remaining 10,000 or so participants got a coupon for $500.00 off on a new Ford car.

The company I worked for had their 401K investment managed by an outside firm. The company however reserved the right to dictate where the money was invested. A group of employees thought the outside company was charging too much, and money should have been invested differently.

They hired a law firm and began a class action suit. In the end the company settled for $7,000,000.00. The lawyers got $3,500,000.00. Each of the 6 principals got $500,000.00 and the remaining 5,000 members of the suit split the remaining $500,000.00.

If you weren't a lawyer or a principal in the case you ended up with $100.00. Those initiating a class action suit are only looking for people to sign up to support their position and line their own pockets. They aren't in it to share the proceeds if there are any.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:27 AM   #6

I own a couple of Toyotas, and apparently there was a class action about their whole unintended acceleration thing. (I thought that was all b-hockey anyway??)

Anyway, as a participant by default (not electing out) with not one but TWO applicable vehicles - well, me and my blazing $29 settlement share didn't have to brown bag lunch that week.......
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post

I expect nothing but will take whatever the division of the settlement is. I have had several no colds that have had minor problemsin the past I currently own a nor cold ( you can only file on one refrigerator ) that occasionally doesn't want to work properly .
The more people that file the less money there will be! it's a fixed pot of money , divided. Estimates provided were up to $1600 -$1700 for an average number of filings for those who currently own a older 1200 Norcold , down to just a couple hundred bucks or less I would happily take the money and replace my current Norcold ( to a residential) if not , and I get nothing , no biggie as cost me nothing except a stamp to file.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #8

If this was for their a/c units I'd sign-up...but I haven't had issues with three of their refers so...
Old 07-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
So what if you don't join the suit and you have had the recall fix installed on your unit and it catches fire sometime? Has Norcold ever or I wonder when the settlement is thru, make an announcement to discontinue using your refrigerator and it's no longer their responsibility? Just wondering.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
By the time the lawyers leading the case get theirs, there won't be much left for those who signed up.

We got involved in a similar case with an insurance company class action...we got all of $17 (which was about average for those who signed up) out of the millions they paid out to settle the case. The lawyers got the pie, plate and crumbs...we got only to smell the pie.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No problems with my 10 year old Norcold fridge so what harm has occurred to me to justify joining?
Old 08-02-2016, 12:20 AM   #12

We were included in an AT&T class action suit involved billing issues. We received a check for $.10 ... a dime. So you know where we stand on joining a class action lawsuit!
Old 08-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #13

i expect about a dollar three eighty. got a penny from a class action involving the steel in a shotgun barrel, never cashed the check.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:37 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Our Norcold is dead! New Samsung on order. We are joining, but expect very little $.

Tags
class a, norcold