Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to dee911
Norcold fridge too cold

Our Norcold 4 door fridge is keeping everything too cold. We keep adjusting the temp down (at 2 now), and have tried moving the thermister both up and down since it isn't clear which way is colder. We've tried it all the way up, all the way down and in between. We tried using a small fridge fan on the botton shelf. Nothing seems to make a difference. We get solid ice build up on the fins within days of defrosting them and I have spinach and lunchmeat freezing. We are in the Northwest for a while and in a cold snap with freezing overnight temps outside although we're geting into the 40s during the day - I don't know if the temps outside make a difference since we've been having this problem for a while, even before it got this cold. Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks in advance for any help.

We're in an 09 Tiffin Phaeton.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #2

We have the same fridge and normally set it on 9 to get it cold and once it's cold we turn it down to 7. Usually while on the trip we end up going down to 5 or 6 depending on the outside temps. We have never had it in the cold like you do right now but I do think the outside temp may have something to do with it. We put our circulationg fan in the middle of the fridge on top of the solid portion over the pull out crispers. That seems to keep things like lettuce freezing, but we keep all the stuff you don't want to freeze in the crispers. Our fins do get an ice buildup on them occassionally and when I turn it down one setting it seems to clear that up.

It seems as you have tried all the things I mentioned so it may just be too cold outside or maybe try turning it down to one. It also could be the gauge or thermister isn't working. The funny thing is everyone puts down Norcold because they say it doesn't get cold enough, but that hasn't been our experience. Good Luck

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #3

This may be only a temporary solution, but you could try switching to propane, or electric depending on which gives you the best results.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The Norcold has a defroster that comes on about every 48 hours ( I think that's the number....it's been awhile). Your defroster may no be working. A leaky door seal will also cause the refer to ice up.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:10 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee911 View Post
Our Norcold 4 door fridge is keeping everything too cold. We keep adjusting the temp down (at 2 now), and have tried moving the thermister both up and down since it isn't clear which way is colder. We've tried it all the way up, all the way down and in between. We tried using a small fridge fan on the botton shelf. Nothing seems to make a difference. We get solid ice build up on the fins within days of defrosting them and I have spinach and lunchmeat freezing. We are in the Northwest for a while and in a cold snap with freezing overnight temps outside although we're geting into the 40s during the day - I don't know if the temps outside make a difference since we've been having this problem for a while, even before it got this cold. Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks in advance for any help.

We're in an 09 Tiffin Phaeton.
It sounds like your thermistor may have failed. If you totally disconnect the thermistor, the fridge goes into backup mode and basically runs wide open on a time cycle. See page 17 of the service manual linked below for information on the backup mode and instructions on how to test the thermistor. I don't know if this is for your exact model, but the basics should be the same.

http://www.photo-graphic.com/files/Norcold1200.pdf
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you for the help and suggestions. We'll check into them and see what happens.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
It sounds like your thermistor may have failed. If you totally disconnect the thermistor, the fridge goes into backup mode and basically runs wide open on a time cycle. See page 17 of the service manual linked below for information on the backup mode and instructions on how to test the thermistor. I don't know if this is for your exact model, but the basics should be the same.

http://www.photo-graphic.com/files/Norcold1200.pdf

If it's not the thermistor then it may be a defective main control board. Your best price on these will be from David Force at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse. I bought one from him last year for the Norcold 1200 for $185 where Camping World was asking about $250!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you to everyone for the help on this. Turns out it was indeed our thermistor. We replaced it (easy job) and the fridge is humming with no more ice on the fins and no more frozen spinach. Yay!
Old 11-28-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update they are helpful.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold