Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Norcold on inverter

I think the board on my Norcold is gone, will not run on gas, all trouble shooting says to replace board. Can I add a extra 200 watt inverter and power the norcold on AC off the house batteries and alternator while traveling? Looking at 300.00 to change board out!
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I run my Norwood 1200 on inverter while traveling. Have not really checked it's power draw. You might want to use a 'Kill-a-watt' power usage gizmo to check the power consumption. You can reduce the power draw by not running the ice maker, if equipped with one. My unit has two AC power cords, one being just the ice maker.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Is the refrigerator operating now on 120 v? If so, you could run it on an inverter, but check around for the control board. Try here:

RV Cooling Unit Warehouse LLC Home Page

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #4
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
I think the board on my Norcold is gone, will not run on gas, all trouble shooting says to replace board. Can I add a extra 200 watt inverter and power the norcold on AC off the house batteries and alternator while traveling? Looking at 300.00 to change board out!
A 200 watt inverter will not run an RV refrigerator on electric. You don't say which Norcold you have, but the Norcold 1200 has 2 heaters, each rated at 225 watts. Other Norcolds may have smaller heaters, but a 200 watt inverter is still not big enough.

It will work, however, if you get a bigger inverter. The MH alternator will keep the batteries charged when driving, but don't park too long without plugging in because the heaters will draw your house batteries down pretty fast.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

And if the control board is bad, it may not run on electric either. The board still has yo read the thermostat and turn the heater on & off.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post

If you have the normal 2000 watt (+/-) inverter that most MH's have you should be able to run the Norcold on the inverter while traveling. We do that all the time!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
And if the control board is bad, it may not run on electric either. The board still has yo read the thermostat and turn the heater on & off.
My thoughts exactly. That's why I asked if it was working on 120 v now. OP can spend a few hundred $$ to repair, or a few 1000 $$ to replace with home fridge.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It runs ok on ac just not on gas! That's why I was thinking about the inverter!
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #9

No reason why you couldn't. 200W inverter wont be near enough tho as others have said.

I am a huge proponent of residential fridges, so my advice is biased. Get a legit RV inverter, typically in the 2000W range and wire that in. Now, you can run your norcold for now (or forever), and replace with residential whenever you like. I see used Magnums for ~$750 online.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #10

If your Norcold 1200 has an icemaker it probably has a 110volt outlet in the outside compartment. You could try connecting the Norcold to that outlet as a trial.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spend the $300 or it will eventually cost more than that to say nothing of the trouble and inconvenience.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote