Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #1

Norcold refrigerator on inverter ?

Is the receptacle behind the RV refrigerator (Norcold 1200 series) connected to the inverter? I am replacing my Norcold with a residential refrigerator. If the receptacle is not connected to the inverter what do I have to do to go thru the inverter?
hamfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #2

Your gas/electric fridge will not be on an inverter outlet. It would only go to gas after it killed the batteries.

Look back where the plug is. Some have 2 outlets, one inverter and one not.

I've heard that some duplex outlets are split between the inverter and non inverter wires.

If there is none, your going to have to change the one back there or wire a new one in.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamfly View Post
Is the receptacle behind the RV refrigerator (Norcold 1200 series) connected to the inverter? I am replacing my Norcold with a residential refrigerator. If the receptacle is not connected to the inverter what do I have to do to go thru the inverter?
Hi hamfly,

Welcome to the iRV2 forums.

I had my Norcold 1200 replace with a residential refrigerator by Alliance Coach in Wildwood, FL. When I scheduled the replacement, I discussed your question with their service manager who assured me that they had done many and one of the two outlets for the Norcold was, certainly, on an inverted circuit. Typically, there are two outlets; one for the heating coil (non-inverted) and one for the ice maker (inverted).

To our surprise, neither outlet on my 2009 Diplomat 40SKQ was on an inverted circuit. I hadn't checked before I delivered it for the refrigerator replacement. It turned out to be not too difficult to rectify. The microwave was on an inverted circuit and immediately adjacent to the refrigerator. Pretty easy to extend that circuit into the refrigerator compartment.

One of the tech commented to me that RV's are like snowflakes. They may come off the assembly line right next to each other and they may look alike, but, they're ALL DIFFERENT!

Good luck with your replacement. We were glad that we did ours.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #4

Some RR will work on MSW inverters, some need TSW inverter. What is yours and how many watts?
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrysait View Post
Some RR will work on MSW inverters, some need TSW inverter. What is yours and how many watts?
I have a 2000 watt magnum pure swine
hamfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The Norcold 1200 has tow power cords, one for the fridge and one for the icemaker. Typically the icemaker is plugged to an inverter outlet so it can continue to make ice when the fridge shifts to LP gas mode (the icemaker is 120v only). I don't know if Monaco sets it up that way or not, though. If the coach has an inverter as standard equipment, they probably do. If optional or a dealer add-on, probably not.

When I replaced the 1200 in my American Tradition with a GE residential, I relocated the power outlet anyway, and wired in a separate pure sine inverter dedicated to the fridge. Part of the reason was that my main inverter was MSW, but I also wanted to isolate the fridge from the other inverter loads so I could turn the non-essential inverter off when not needed. Both inverters ran off the same battery bank, though. I also installed a manual transfer switch (a simple DPDT switch) so I could run the fridge direct off shore power, bypassing any inverter. Mostly as a back-up.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

There are two AC outlets behind our Norcold 1200, one on the inverter and the other not! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi hamfly,

Welcome to the iRV2 forums.

I had my Norcold 1200 replace with a residential refrigerator by Alliance Coach in Wildwood, FL. When I scheduled the replacement, I discussed your question with their service manager who assured me that they had done many and one of the two outlets for the Norcold was, certainly, on an inverted circuit. Typically, there are two outlets; one for the heating coil (non-inverted) and one for the ice maker (inverted).

To our surprise, neither outlet on my 2009 Diplomat 40SKQ was on an inverted circuit. I hadn't checked before I delivered it for the refrigerator replacement. It turned out to be not too difficult to rectify. The microwave was on an inverted circuit and immediately adjacent to the refrigerator. Pretty easy to extend that circuit into the refrigerator compartment.

One of the tech commented to me that RV's are like snowflakes. They may come off the assembly line right next to each other and they may look alike, but, they're ALL DIFFERENT!

Good luck with your replacement. We were glad that we did ours.

Take care,
Stu
That's the bottom line, great reply!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote