Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not a Happy Camper in Oregon

Started a 5 day journey on April 18, made it 95 miles before the check engine light came on so we took it to Freightliner Northwest in Coburg, OR to find out we had a blown oil cooler on our 2008 Tiffin Phaeton with a Cummins 360, a week later after heading home we came back to pick it up again.

We stayed at the Premier RV Resort in Coburg for 2 nights then got back on the road for 5 more nights but only made it 20 miles when the Motorhome overheated, after 5 hours on the side of the road where after calling Good Sam to tow us they told us they couldn’t find a tow company to come get us and that we should call 911? Luckily we have AAA Premier RV and they sent out a rig to come get us and take us back to Freightliner Northwest in Coburg, OR.

The next day they found out that a bolt from the EGR fell into a water jacket or hose??? and wedged into the water pump breaking it and the belt running it. After spending 3 more nights in a hotel room we went back to pick up our coach, they blamed it on a bolt that had backed out of the EGR and when they pulled out the Oil Cooler and stuff it must have fell in, they believe that it wasn’t their fault so they tried to charge me an additional $1000 over the $3200 I had already paid!???

Not a Happy Camper, I was pissed and they brought the price down to $388, still not happy but couldn’t fight them on their own turf so I paid and left to never go back and to do more research on the problem to see if they should have fixed it for free and paid for the Towing and Hotel bill! Now we are on the second half of our 10 day getaway waiting for our Kids & Grandkids to show up so we can take them to Wildlife Safari Park in Winston, OR.

Not Happy Campers, at least not yet!!!
sshaulr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 05:20 AM   #2

Deep breaths. I hate when shops take advantage of people.

Just relax wait for the family and enjoy wildlife safari. It's a great place. I grew up about an hour from there and always enjoyed visiting the park. I'm hoping on my next pilgrimage back to Oregon I can run my kids through that park
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:47 AM   #3

The bolt got inside the cooling system as a direct result of their work, so they are responsible for any damage and inconvenience caused . . . however getting resolution probably wouldn't be worth the effort. There is a section on the forum here that you can post experiences, both good and bad about shops. Someone will chime in and direct you to the right place. I too hate it when shops take advantage of people, and make them pay for damage the shop caused. Try and get over it, and get back to enjoying your RV!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #4

I understand! I've been in your situation. It's over, let it go. You got the grand-kids now, enjoy them and chalk this up to history.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I certainly understand how upset you must be, and it seems to be clearly their fault, but proving it is something else entirely.

This may be one of those times that you just need to FIDO it! (Forget It and Drive ON)
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing I would call GS and ask if they know what the 911 system is for. Finding a tow is not one of them. Who ever told you that should be drawn and quartered then fired.

Maybe asking a mod to move this to the Cummins forum someone smarter then me and Freightliner will chime in. It shouldn't make any difference if a piano fell in there, they caused it. I thought that the EGR gases went through the charge air cooler not the water system.

Your money your choice but I would fight it.

Enjoy Wildlife Safari. Went the past two years with the grandkids they loved it. And I enjoyed it nearly as much.

Just looked at where you are from as I never heard of it. Need to tell everyone your just down the road from Valsetz. LOL Your close enough to Coburg to drive back and forth to rag on them.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
Community Moderator

i feel your pain.
this is exactly as what #20 and #21 post said in this thread click here.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #8

I see that the family owned dealership in Medford, Witham Freightliner is now part of Freightliner NW... I knew the Witham family for over 20 years and would have suggested you see them... but alas they are no longer there..

At one time over the past 20 years I used to deal with most of them... frankly there were only a few I'd trust to work on my trucks.... and now doing a google search of those I find they are gone... after all I've been retired for 8 years...

I always believed that an great independent truck shop was always worth its salt when it came to truck repair... just my thoughts...
Old 05-03-2018, 09:00 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Call Freightliner and open a claim. It's not the $388.00, but the fact that they screwed up and billed you for it. Freightliner can investigate and let you know the outcome. I wouldn't go after the hotel room, but would certainly want any tow fees back.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:04 PM   #10

I would simply file for remedy in a small claims court. Let the judge decide. If they don’t show up you automatically win then you can file a writ of garnishment and take the money from them.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:38 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Write to Good Sam and get them involved. You should h=not have to pay for their screw up. They owe you for lodging and food and you should not have to pay for the repair that they caused. They are responsible for the damage.
While you are at it have Good Sam pay for the wrecker service also. It's part of their contract t provide it.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #12

I have terminated Good Sam for this same reason. Used them twice and both times it was we can’t find anyone or call back tomorrow??? Use AAA now.
Bummer on the hassles, familiar with it, it’s in the past, look towards time with the family.
rampage42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #13

This is where having Prepaid legal services pays for itself in an instance. I can guarantee you that if you had called them on the spot they would have an attorney contact them personally rather quickly and the bill would have been $0.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
This is where having Prepaid legal services pays for itself in an instance. I can guarantee you that if you had called them on the spot they would have an attorney contact them personally rather quickly and the bill would have been $0.
which prepaid legal service do you use?
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote