Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I am sure if you posted your location there is more than one of us that would be happy to drop by and give you a helping hand. If you are at home in Austin Texas like your profile states it is a little far for me but I am sure you are not the only IRV2 member in the area. Like all the others suggested I say get away from that shop now!!

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #16

Ted: Most RV AC electrical systems include an inverter/converter that when operated in inverter mode provides power to most of the standard 110VAC duplex electrical outlets. The inverter/converter contains an internal transfer switch that switches the duplex outlets between shore/generator power and inverter power. The inverter typically includes one or more AC 15, 20, or 30 amp circuit breakers that control these switched circuits.

If the transfer switch internal to the inverter failed then you most likely would still have power to the air conditioners, water heater, and other high power circuits that never receive power when running the invertor. Any competent shop technician should be able to easily identify and isolate this problem and should have informed you that the inverter/converter had failed, vice the transfer switch that switches between shore and generator power which was previously discussed.

If your questionable repair shop is replacing the invertor/converter then the cost could be as high as quoted, however, the shop should clearly state exactly what failed.

On a side note, my inverter/converter (a Xantrex Freedom 1500) failed to switch, as described above. The switched outlets would not receive shore, or generator power, however, they did receive power from the inverter. The Xantrex freedom inverters include an over voltage protection circuit which when triggered blows a small 1/4 amp fuse internal to the inverter. Replacing the 1/4 amp metric micro-fuse (a cost of about $3.00) solved the problem. A repair shop wanted to replace the invertor at a cost of over $2000.

Good luck and if the shop can not provide clear info about what failed and why the high cost then as stated....get the heck out of there.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Converter for AC to DC... Inverter for DC to AC... So, in this case, the Converter would be bad... Which is why I asked him to post a pic of the unit the shop is calling a 'transfer switch' to be sure its not the converter.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Woke up this morning to no shore power, no power from generator either. The inverter was working normally. After checking every thing I knew to check, I called a mobile repairman. He found a small wire had come loose on the backside of the inverter, (Magnum2000) he plugged it back in and all returned to normal. The back side of my inverter can only be seen with a mirror and a flashlight. Thank God for an honest repairman, he could have sold me an inverter or transfer switch and I wouldn't have known any better.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think Roadking has the answer.

The Xantrex (if that's what you have) has a transfer switch on the front end that will display that exact failure symptom when it fails. A normal (generic) transfer switch will still pass power from one of the two sources for almost any type failure. NOT SO, the Xantrex. That little fuse that Roadking mentioned is the usual culprit, but there are other failures that could cause your symptoms. Xantrex transfer switches will NOT pass AC through if their switch does not have power. It's a poor design, but that's the way it is.

Do you have an Inverter, and is it a Xantrex?

I agree that you need to have the shop identify the specific failure and allow you to take pictures of it to post here. Even if the shop is honest, and it's the TX switch part of the Inverter that they think is bad, they are still in a position to rip you off.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #20

Exclamation Get your provider in the loop!

If you have a service contract get them on the phone ASAP!

Have them work directly with the service company to work out the details, they are well aware of normal issues as well as charges.

If the shop is trying to pull something the insurance folks usually catch it.

If you are at a truck service facility you may be in trouble as they may not have a person qualified to work on 120/240 VAC equipment, the question needs to be asked as your safety is at risk!

Make sure you ask your insurance company to VERIFY the qualifications of the service facility and for them to recommend a suitable one if you need to pull your unit out of where it is
Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Go to the shop and ask the guy to physically show you what he is calling the 'transfer switch'.. take a pic and post it.
That's a great idea. They are closed on Saturday so Monday I'll do that. I will also call Good Sam to talk to the claim rep working with them to hear what they've had to say.
Thanks everyone. I will post a follow up on Monday
Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just got off the phone with the tech rep and he is waiting on Good Sam. He said "trust me I know what you're talking about with a 200 dollar transfer switch".... yours is not an ordinary "transfer switch".. If that were the problem we would have had you out of here days ago. "Yours is an automatic transfer switch which runs the rest of the coach"... "you have an automatic start system and Good Sam is gonna bitch about the price and probably send an adjuster out"... but that's ok we know what we're doing. Guys keep in mind I'm trying to run my business as well as take care of this so I simply haven't had time to go yank it from him, do it myself, or find another place. It's a busy time of year for my business and I need the RV next week. Otherwise I would have already taken the RV somewhere else. SO I will post an update later today or tomorrow. But, does any of the above ring true to you guys? These guys are the largest fleet maintenance co in Austin and they take care of the city buses, city of austin fleet, good will, etc. I just think they are legit. THoughts?
Thanks
Ed
Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #23

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Go to any electrical supplier in town and tell them your problem. The electrician on staff can test and replace the transfer switch if that's what is wrong. Sounds like the shop just wants the money and doesn't have qualified staff
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tedward1555,
There is no new information in your last post. It would seem a call to the manufacturer wit the coach or VIN number to determine what was installed in your coach is in order. Since your service contract company is now involved, whatever needs to be done, your out only the deductible. When all is said and done, it would be great if you could post what they actually replaced and what was the Brand/Model, etc of the part that failed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
If your insurance will pay for the repair minus your deductible, keep your focus on your income providing business.

However, you may not have the rig for next week.

If you have an auto gen start system and the transfer switch inside the inverter is bad, it could be an expensive repair.

If the problem is the exterior dedicated transfer switch that directs flow from shore or gen power, it is the less expensive and easily replaced item.

My setup has both types of transfer switch.

I have found that an infrequent customer in a large shop seldom gets the most prompt and cheapest repair resolution because he does not represent a large future income stream. The fleet owners get those benefits.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
We finally got things worked out today and Good Sam is going to pay the price TFM wants to charge less my deductible of $250. And the part really does cost $717.77 according to Fleetwood. And GS is allowing the shop a 20% mark up and they've agreed to 5 hours of labor. Dean it is the more expensive one with the automatic start system. Gary I will post a complete report later this week when I get the receipt so I can give part number or nomenclature and everything. I suppose the problem was that Good Sam, Fleetwood, and Texas Fleet Maintenance were confused or mis-communicating which transfer switch it was and what the correct part number and price was. Seems Fleetwood has one part number, but the manufacturer of the part has another, and the parts retailers had another... all very confusing but finally everyone is on the same page and hopefully I'll have my rig back Thursday afternoon. Thank you all for your help and again I'll post a bullet point follow up by the weekend.
Ed
Old 02-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tedward1555,
Congrats on getting this all worked out. Hopefully, the coach is repaired to your satisfaction and you will be on your way as scheduled.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 Pace Arrow does anyone know where my transfer switch is? I don't have an inverter.