Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question Not Doing a Lot of Miles - Use Stay-Bil?

In another thread someone brought up the idea that if a MH isn't driven often that it might be a good idea to use Stay-Bil all the time.

Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I've read gas with ethanol starts going bad as little as 30 days after manufacture. If true, fuel stabilizer would be a very good idea.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anytime I get back from a trip, I do two things: Fill the tank, and add Sta-bil. Doing these two things will largely eliminate any fuel or filter problems. When you park it, many times you really don't know when it will be used again, so I just act like it's going to be laid up for an extended period of time.

Keeping the tank full is probably the absolute best thing you can do to minimize any adverse fuel problems. Whether it's gas or diesel, makes no difference, you still need to keep the tank full while sitting.
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #4

Sta-bil is suppose to make the gas last a year. If you fill your tank and add it and use 1/2 a tank there is no need to add more till you use the gas or after it sits for 7-8 months. That's just a waste of money. Granted most people with a $100,000 motorhome don't care about the money, but some do.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ethanol based fuel... I would try extremely hard to find a non ethanol mixed fuel for extended storage. www.pure-gas.org

Storage & ethanol = big $$$$
Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #6

good idea to use sta-bil i've kept it in my back up home genset for years with great results and i put it my mh for good measure but after having to replace the carb on my old gmc 4x4 due to the modern fuel damaging it i will keep it in anything that sets very much
the ethanol in modern fuel is just corrosive enough to eat up delicate fuel system parts and carbs and injectors are not cheap sta-bil is
Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for all the feedback. Not knowing the history of my unit prior to buying it 2 months ago I think I will do the following:

1. I have 1/2 tank of gas now. I have some short trips next week so I will dump some "HEET" into it to make sure I am clearing out as much water as possible. (Maybe none in it but I don't think it will hurt.) That should take me down to about 1/4 tank and I will then fill it up and maybe give it one more dose of HEET. I won't need to use Stay-Bil since that tank will be used up on my trip during the 4th of July.

2. When I fill the tank up during or at the end of that trip I will add the Stay-Bil since my next trip will be at least 3 weeks out.

I think I will also plan on topping off the tank more often. I would suspect that less air in the tank means less moisture to get into the fuel system.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Ethanol based fuel... I would try extremely hard to find a non ethanol mixed fuel for extended storage. www.pure-gas.org

Storage & ethanol = big $$$$

Ask at your local General Aviation airport where the "Mo-Gas" is.
This is non-ethanol, non-leaded gas. It's not 100LL (aviation fuel).
Planes started getting modified to use pump gas in the last 10 years, but we can only use the non-ethanol variety.

Most general aviation airports have pay-at-the pump.

Fuel injected rigs are less picky in my experience with fuel that sits... Your gen-set isn't fuel injected.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Planes started getting modified to use pump gas in the last 10 years, but we can only use the non-ethanol variety.

Fuel injected rigs are less picky in my experience with fuel that sits... Your gen-set isn't fuel injected.
a marina and fuel station near my home both have Non ethanol unleaded in the 89 octane at the pump. Local airport is abit of a hassle and Im still mad with them for refusing to sell 100LL in carry off containers after I was purchasing it for years.
Non ethanol runs about $3.65/gal these days. My rig seems to get better fuel mileage with it... so the $25 extra cost per tank isnt terrible.

I read where Shell issued a statement on 100LL and its sunset plan.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post

It's not actually the fuel injection as much as it turns to varnish and gums everything from the tank to the engine. Plus rubber and ethanol don't get along. The goverment decided to just slip it in the gas without telling people and if you don't read the small print on the pumps you don't know it's in there. Anything above 15% has to be stated as gasohol and anything less it will just say can have up to 10% ethanol. I think it's the goverments way of getting the older vehicles off the road by messing up the fuel systems.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Unless your coach sits for several months at a time, I would not use Sta-bil or similar. Gas, even gas with ethanol, will easily last 3-6 months. The fuel companies say a year if ok.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My gas MH usually sits in Fl. from Sept. to Jan with a full tank and never had a problem.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Unless your coach sits for several months at a time, I would not use Sta-bil or similar. Gas, even gas with ethanol, will easily last 3-6 months. The fuel companies say a year if ok.
I know they say that, but I'm not buying. I've pumped gas out of the pump here that smelled bad coming out. Not all the time, but it's happened several times. Ethanol separates from the gas and it absorbs moisture. How fast this occurs depends on conditions. If you ask me, using a fuel stabilizer puts you in the, "better safe than sorry" camp. It's relatively cheap insurance.

There are a lot of threads on boat forums from when ethanol first came out. There's quite a few horror stories regarding storage of that fuel.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Whatever rows your boat!

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote