Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jacks down, your a guilty camper!! Shame on you!! Slides out, Shame on you too!! Chairs out and your really pushin' it!! I never see this at the rest stops. Why do people do this at Walmart? These violators of common sense ettiquette I suspect are litterers and midnite dumpers too. Shame on you if you're blushing!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #44

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
These violators of common sense etiquette I suspect are litterers and midnite dumpers too. Shame on you if you're blushing!!
I take offense at this statement I do use my jacks and slides as stated in a previous post but I do not litter or dump in anyone's parking lot.

What do jacks and slides have to do with the intent to stay longer than one nite. I agree that setting up camp ie awning, wheel covers, chairs, and the barbie are over the line.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #45

Workhorse Chassis Owner
And I contend you are abusing the priveleges of all those who follow the rules of ettiquette.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, lets stay calm here. I've never stayed at a Wal-Mart yet, but have thought about it. As far as useing your jacks goes I don't see anything wrong with that. Also if you park out of the wayand at the edge of the parking lot and extend your slideout out over the curb at the edge of the parking lot so it's not intruding into vehicle right of way or any side walks I don't see anything wrong with that either. But your visit should be limited to 1 night only and no chairs or bbqs. Just my .02 worth.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #47

In most cases it is not Wal-Mart but the local community that passes restrictions against overnight stays. We have a Wal-Mart Supercenter up the street from where I live that used to have two are three RV's over nighting several times a week. Some of them would have their slides out, jacks down and several times I had even seen grilling being done. Then all of a sudden I stop seeing RV's in the lot anymore and I asked inside the store what changed. It seems that our local community passed an no overnight parking ordinance because a few, not all, RV'ers were staying for days it was felt they were actually camping. There are now signs in the parking lot prohibiting over night parking and our local Sheriff actually chalks the tires on RV's and converted vans to see how long they are parked. Some people just spoil it for everyone else I guess.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #48
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Time out!

Our rules do not permit discussing one another.

From our rules;

"Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation,and national origin are not acceptable."

Thanks!

Time in.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
What I meant by "seldom" is that it isn't wide-spread and constant across the country. I do understand that destination points like Kissimmee are more likely to have more than just a couple of people who ruin it for others. I know that we saw quite a few RVs at the Wal-Mart in Rapid City but, again, no one seemed to have jacks down or slides out. We've visited a lot of Wal-Marts during our travels and have yet to see a single RV that wasn't parked there just as we were, ready to pull out immediately. Perhaps ours is just a very limited view and the "camping" problem is more widespread that I think. The other forum's inability to pull up an offending photo or two seems to confirm what we've seen. Seldom certainly doesn't mean that it never happens.
My guess as to why there are no photos of the offending parties is that there is no reason for anyone to take these kinds of pics. I am not suggesting that folks should be evicted, I want to be able to continue to use this option when necessary. Why in the world would I want to "prove" that there is a small batch of "ugly" RVers who have no respect for the privilege being offered or the effects they might be having on other RVers. If you need pictures to prove this is happening you can't be talking to many other RVers as I suspect many more have seen one or more of these offenses than have not.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #50

Craig CO Walmart does not allow overnight parking but did refer overnighters to KMart. I doubt we will ever stop in Craig to spend time or money again. I'd recommend others bypass this town as well.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #51

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
My guess as to why there are no photos of the offending parties is that there is no reason for anyone to take these kinds of pics. I am not suggesting that folks should be evicted, I want to be able to continue to use this option when necessary. Why in the world would I want to "prove" that there is a small batch of "ugly" RVers who have no respect for the privilege being offered or the effects they might be having on other RVers. If you need pictures to prove this is happening you can't be talking to many other RVers as I suspect many more have seen one or more of these offenses than have not.
Perhaps. I've personally never seen one and none in the camping group that I've talked to have reported them either. While I was born in NC, I like the "show me" States mottol. Again, I'm not denying that it happens, I'm simply suggesting that it isn't as wide spread as it often represented to be. And, yes, pictures would help verify that it does exist. There are certainly enough pictures posted of other situations and anomalies that people come across. Call me cynical but there seem to be a lot of campground owners on the sending end of the accusations. I'm amazed at the amount of "civic spirit" that they demonstrate in calling attention to this awful practice, not that they have any financial stake in the outcome of the parking bans.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:53 PM   #52

wal mart parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
check this free website for walmart locations that allow overnight parking and those who do not. the rule about asking the manager on duty still applies. this is parking, not camping.
Walmart Store Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide

i did not see any in this guide that said overnight parking was allowed, all said no overnight parking allowed.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:04 AM   #53

what do you people who stay at wal-mart do for air cond,???do you run your generators???what if your bed is in a slide out??? new to motorhome and just wat to know how you handle this if you are not staying in a campground????thsnksfaye
Old 10-16-2009, 03:01 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
i did not see any in this guide that said overnight parking was allowed, all said no overnight parking allowed.
the blue balloons on the state maps allow overnight parking, the red ones do not.
if you find the status has changed at a walmart, plz update the database. the old saw gigo is in play here for sure.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:04 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
what do you people who stay at wal-mart do for air cond,???do you run your generators???what if your bed is in a slide out??? new to motorhome and just wat to know how you handle this if you are not staying in a campground????thsnksfaye
we run the genny and put the bedroom slide out a little bit if necessary. we park where this will not bother anybody.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:41 AM   #56
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I run the generator as long as necessary.

If I can park along a curb with grass on the other side, I put the bedroom slide out. If not, no slide is out.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote