Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Water heater drain.I installed a water spigot that way you just open spigot to drain.That is you have room,or a brass petcock for drain.Use teflon tape on threads.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Here's what I think about the plastic plug....it won't destroy the threads if it breaks or crossthreads. I'm careful and use teflon tape on the brass plug.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry about the plug breaking off Bob, I'm sure you've gotten it out by now. As far as replacing the plug, I would suggest you check out replacing the plastic plug with an Anode Rod instead. It protects your water heater from corrosion by attracting the various corrosive elements in the water to the rod rather than the interior of your water heater. The Atwood rod is made out of magnesium and the Suburban Anode rod is made out of aluminum, so you need to know which heater your rig has. We've used them in our previous coaches and the seem to work as promised. I just installed a new one in my rig that has a drain valve in the plug for draining the tank as well.

Protect your water heater from corrosion. Anode Rods attract corrosive elements in water, so they attack the anode rod rather than the interior of your water heater's tank. Simply remove the plastic drain plug and insert the anode rod. Atwood Anode Rod is made of magnesium; Suburban Anode Rod is made of aluminum. When replacement is necessary, unscrew the old one and insert the new one. Anode Rods are easily replaced and should be checked every three months.
AkTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks AkTrek. I appreciate the information. It is an Atwood unit and so far, I have not removed it but have an appointment on Thursday with my local RV tech who will do it for a very minimal cost. He has some work to do on my Dometic fridge anyway.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #19

Our pre-owned water heater came to us with a galvanized plug pre-attached. It will leave us in the same condition because it is stuck in place. I drain and rinse via the temp- pressure hole. Real pain, install a plastic plug if you can!!! HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We got it done today using a heated tool much like a large screw driver. After heating it up real good, it was placed in the drain and after several minutes, the remains of the old plug was easily removed. Much like Jerry Forwood's post the other day....thanks!

Lesson learned: There are more than one way to do it; don't overtight the nylon or plastic plug and keep a spare or two on hand.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoastieSCPO:
Lesson learned: There are more than one way to do it; don't overtight the nylon or plastic plug and keep a spare or two on hand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find it's only necessary to give a couple wraps of Teflon tape on the plastic plug and tighten only as tight as your fingers can turn it. Or at most a half turn after it's as tight as you can turn it by hand.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote