Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, There are two types of generators. Inverter and traditional (And there multiple types of traditional but they all work alike for this discussion)

Inverter generators.. Like the Honda EU-#000i series, as the load goes up the engine speed goes up (And the noise)

All traditional generators have governors, some they are electroinc, yours is mechanical, and on all of these the engine WILL SLOW DOWN under load, epically a major load (Like the A/C kicking in while you are microwaving lunch).

However it should recover once the A/C starts,, NOTE the sound will be different due to the different load.

If you have the ability to measure frequency.. Watch it.. it will tell you much.

If you do not, But a Kill-a-watt P-3 and plug it in, press the Hz button.. And measure the frequency. If it drops below 50 worry, if it drops below 55 AND STAYS THERE,, Be concerned.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
First, There are two types of generators. Inverter and traditional (And there multiple types of traditional but they all work alike for this discussion)

Inverter generators.. Like the Honda EU-#000i series, as the load goes up the engine speed goes up (And the noise)

All traditional generators have governors, some they are electroinc, yours is mechanical, and on all of these the engine WILL SLOW DOWN under load, epically a major load (Like the A/C kicking in while you are microwaving lunch).

However it should recover once the A/C starts,, NOTE the sound will be different due to the different load.

If you have the ability to measure frequency.. Watch it.. it will tell you much.

If you do not, But a Kill-a-watt P-3 and plug it in, press the Hz button.. And measure the frequency. If it drops below 50 worry, if it drops below 55 AND STAYS THERE,, Be concerned.
I will buy a Kill-a-watt but what does the Hz reading represent or tell me ?

Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #17

generator surges

the hz is the abreviation forcycles. ac power is actualy alternating current the power we get from the power companys comes in at 60hz your gen set is susposed to supply 60hz but that is tied to the rpms the gen set is running at. lights or resistance heat(toster) are not affected buy varaitions inhz motors and electronics can be afected
Old 10-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
And measure the frequency. If it drops below 50 worry, if it drops below 55 AND STAYS THERE,, Be concerned.
Why do I worry below 50Hz ?

and why would I be concerned if stays below 55Hz ?

what do these comments mean ?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:05 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markrving View Post
Why do I worry below 50Hz ?

and why would I be concerned if stays below 55Hz ?

what do these comments mean ?
first, the only ''dumb'' question is the one you don't ask. so please keep on asking questions.

synchronous motors like in clocks and electronic components that are designed to operate at 60 cycles will not operate well at lower frequencies and voltages.
when the genny is running at normal rpm, the freq. is controlled by the governor at 60 cycles and voltage at about 115-120 volts. when the genny slows down due to load or malfunction, the freqs. drop and the voltage drops. low voltage, below about 108-105v, will also damage equipment. when voltage to a high drawing electrical appliance drops, the amps that this equipment draws go up. this is ohms law in action. increased amps means more heat which can cause equipment failure.
hopefully the resources below will explain this better than i did.

RVcruzer.com Electrical Tutorial - Chapter 5 - Generators

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/...s/983-0101.pdf
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #20

Mark:

Frequency used to be measured in cycles per second, which was pretty self-explanatory. At some point in the late 1960s, some clown in the National Standards system decided to rename it after the US auto-rental company (or maybe some ancient German scientist).
Old 10-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #21

I bought a Kill a Watt and checked the Hz and the voltage. Voltage was consistently 123-125 and the HZ was steady at 60-63 the entire time I ran the generator. And I put a load of the A/C and then additionally the Microwave on together and the Hz never dropped below 60 and the voltage never dropped below 120.

So I guess that I should just Ignore the idle speed of the generator ?

There is very minor surging of idle speed under load of the microwave AND the A/c on together but the voltage and Hz never waivered form 120 volts and 60Hz.

Should I just ignore the idle speed on the generator ??
Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #22

gen surging

yes i think you can ignore the sounds that the gen set is making because it is making electricty the way it was intended. no need to fix

Tags
electrical, generator