Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
We have a bathroom on board for a reason. We use it!

Use plenty of water whenever you flush, and use single ply TP. After you dump, use an RV deodorant in the tank. You should have no problems.

'07 Winnebago Journey 34H - CAT C7, Koni's, MCU's, SS Bell Crank, Safe-T-Plus
'07 HHR Toad, SMI AFO, Blue OX
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #16
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Richard2003 View Post
It smells and at least in the past has been crappy to empty so to speak.
Wife says she would rather use the MH bathroom.
Most RVers I have met agree with me.
I am with your wife... Several thoughts come to mind.

First... For assorted reasons I have spent a few hours lying on the bathroom floor with the toilet in the next room, dissassembled, and the drain pipe open to the black tank.. I rebuilt the riser (floor under toilet) and some other repair work in this area that required removal of the toilet to do the job.

I USE NO CHEMICALS IN THE TANK as a rule and.. Guess what.. It was not stinky at all...

What stinks... Is the GRAY tank... To high heaven!!!!! If it's not properly cared for.

Many folks treat the black with chemicals to control the non-existant stink. Often this results in a stinky tank.

Finally... If the toilet is working properly there is always water in the bowl, the water forms an air-tight seal to the tank below EXACTLY LIKE THE WATER IN THE BOWL OF YOUR HOME TOILET and thus blocks the stink.

Dumping... Well, When I hook up my hose.. It is DRY, and when I unhook, Freshly rinsed out.. So once again. No problem.

Sequence: hook up hose, seal tight.

When you dump, dump BLACK, then rinse BLACK, then dump gray.

When you unhook... Rinse out the hose (hold the sprayer at least 2x diameters from the hose)

I am with your wife.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
When I had a tent, I used the campground facilities. We bought a bathroom on these wheels and my DW can use it whenever she wants. Learn what it takes to add chemical, etc. and learn to hook up everything correctly to dump. It isn't hard, just takes a little effort and it doesn't take long.

Looks like you're in the minority on this one.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
Of course, you could always tell her "If you use it, then you empty it"

Just be sure that your health insurance is paid up.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
Why not compromise? The wife can use the one in the MH and you can use the one at the cg.

Do you have an Fantastic fan in the bathroom? It can draw the inside air out or bring in fresh air depending on the setting. From what I gather the "Fart fan" that comes with many units is limited on what it can do to keep the smell away. For several reasons I'm glad I upgraded my vent system.
2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL by Forest River / 2011 Toyota Tundra
Great Choice for "Living within my means" and Camping for one...
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #20
We are full-time, and we use our toilet as it was designed! No campground toilet seats for us, thank you. That's why we bought the MH. Just like I know my sheets are clean, and I Don't have to worry about athletes foot or getting something else from the shower. No hotel rooms for me. NoNoNo
aldersoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The only time a no 2 is offensive is when someone holds the valve open too long at 60 MPH. Other than that, it has never been an issue. It is our castle, and we WILL use the throne.
JCBBOUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Oh my goodness! Your wife is absolutely right. Why would you even want to use the campground toilet...EEWWWW Use plenty of water when you flush and you will be fine.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #23
Country Coach Owners Club
Sorry, we didn't spend this much money to go use someone else's bathroom. I enjoy my own throne along with a magazine rack.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #24
National RV Owners Club
We dry camped long before we knew it was caller that, we just called it camping.
It was in the trailer or nothing. Didnt have a choice.
greggholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #25
I don't see a problem. Here's what I do. I keep a dishpan in the kitchen sink and catch all the water run from the facet and when full pour in dish detergent swish to create bubbles, then pour down toilet. If you wash dishes, pour the dishwater down the toilet. Keep lots of water in the black tank....enough so that you will fill it fast and empty often. After emptying, pour tank sanitizer down the toilet. If you are talking about normal bathroom odors, keep a plug in air freshner in the electric socket and a can of Febreze air freshner in the bathroom. I recommend Frebreze over Glade or any others. After using the bathroom, spray well and close door upon exit. Next person in finds a very fresh smelling bathroom with their favorite scent. I also have not found emptying the tanks as disgusting as most say. I keep heavy rubber gloves in a plastic grocery bag. I keep the connector that fits into the sewer line in a plastic grocery bag. When I empty, I put on gloves, put the connector into the sewer line, connect hose to RV, put hose into connector in the sewer and empty black tank, close, then empty grey tank, close, disconnect hose from rv, lifting it as I move toward sewer so that all water will empty, disconnect hose from sewer connector and put hose away. Rinse connector and gloves and return to plastic sacks. To do this, I put my gloved hands inside the plastic bag and pull gloves off grabing finger tips from outside the plastic bag so I am not touching gloves. I go inside and wash hands thoroughly, go back and disconnect water and power and get in and leave. Very simple and not nearly as complicated at the youtube video. I also use a grey tank sanitizer. All this takes less than 10 minutes and I am on my way. By the way, I am a 65 yo widow, so if I can do it, you can do it and your wife can do it. Remember the more water you put in the toilet the easier it will be and with no smells.
smiybrneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #26
Bought RV with toilet and will use the toilet in the RV...
No smell except when going(at times) ..fans and air freshener fix that
No worse dumping poo tank than gray tank
The biggest problem is mental....get over what is being dumped....and it's a breeze...if any accidents should occur when dumping tanks...soap and water fix that...No worse than a leaky baby's diaper...which most of us have dealt with
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i would add to the above posts...
we always use our rv toilet .
after dumping and flushing the black tank, i add 2 cups of bleach to 30-54 gallons of gray water about 5 minutes prior to dumping the gray tank to flush out and deodorize our stinky slinky.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:07 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Totally disagree.

THat's why I bought the MH to have all the conveniences with me.

Our MH doesn't smell nor is it all that big of a deal to empty the tanks and keep them clean.

I'm on you wife's side.

US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote