Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #43

The Lady and I use the campground facilities for 2 when able. That means it's not raining/nasty out, reasonably near by, and the facilities are clean.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This reminds me of the current thread on Showers; whether you use your RV one or the campground ones.

I use my entire RV; that means all of the bathroom.

I started in an 18' TT (in fact I lived in it, once, for two months) and now have a 32' MH. I have never had an issue with a smell from the black tank.

However, that being said, you need to take care of your black tank. Make sure that the vent is working properly, make sure that you use enough water and also to rinse the tank at appropriate intervals.

Taking just a few, simple, measures can keep your black tank from being a problem. If you type, into the iRV search engine "Black Tank Maintenance" you will find some very good posts on what to do and when. The first thing that I was taught was to be sure to 'prime' the tank by putting in enough clean water- after you dump. The system- to work properly- needs enough water to break down waste. Not enough water (and do not leave black tank open at camp ground) will allow for your tank not to dump everything.

I spent the money on an RV, to have all the conveniences of my house, so I am with your wife- I use them.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #45

When I'm in my MH and working on it in the driveway and I have to go, guess where I go?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #46

I have the facilities in my TT and I use them. I hate having to use the CG facilities when tenting. Most are disgusting. I really dont get what all the fuss is about. Its a simple easy process to use and maintain and when done so it works like a charm.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #47

Welcome to the forum. You got a MH to use, so use it. We have no odors in ours and you won't either if all is done correctly.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've always been told to "use it like you stole it." Not sure that works in this case but we always use our own facilities. I only use the CG facilities if I am walking by and have an "emergency."
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Been in a RV for over 15 years and have used a campground shower once (because we were winterized) and never used the toilets. Like my own!
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #50

Last weekend, my black tank got full because I didn't realize I had to jack up my MH to get the last 10 gallons out. I used the outhouse at the dunes and they are very well maintained. In fact, the cleaning guy had to wait for me to get done to clean the one I was using. They clean them several times a day.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #51

Alpine Owners Club
I had to use the pit toilet at the campground in Moab a couple of weekends ago. First time since I bought the TC several years ago my posterior has touched a toilet seat I didn't own. The rig was winterized and I didn't want to mess with flushing lines and dumping when I got home for just a 2 night Jeep trip.

After one trip to the john I was wishing I had gone to the trouble. Neither rig has any smells or problems with buildup in the tanks. Just use plenty of water when flushing and a TP that breaks up quickly and enjoy the facilities you paid for.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I have driven as far as 22 miles back to the campground to use the bathroom. I once asked her to not use the bathroom on the last leg of the trip. After i picked myself up off the floor, I got busy and made a depression era dump station. At home. It worked great for 26 years until we moved. I made another one where we live now. Most of the time if we stay in a state park, instead of lining up at the dump station, I just drive home and dump here.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #53

KZ RV Club
Sorry, DW here. What does one do, then, if one must visit the facilities in the middle of the night?! I'm not leaving the coach at night!! No, in my opinion, we RV because we like all the comforts of home, and that includes a toilet. If you properly maintain your black water tank (flush it regularly, always use chemical, conserve paper, use marine-grade paper) there shouldn't be an issue with smell.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It has a toilet and a black tank meant to be used for both #1 and #2. If you use proper procedures, it is not a problem.

I agree that the wife has more sense here.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #55

Wish we could just use the rugs like the dogs do..
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
My wife and I have driven as far as 22 miles back to the campground to use the bathroom. I once asked her to not use the bathroom on the last leg of the trip. After i picked myself up off the floor, I got busy and made a depression era dump station. At home. It worked great for 26 years until we moved. I made another one where we live now. Most of the time if we stay in a state park, instead of lining up at the dump station, I just drive home and dump here.

Ok, I'll bite.....what is a depression era dump station?
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote