Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Think of Resale Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2003 View Post
I insist that if we are in a cg with a bathroom that number 2 should never be done in the MH...
Wouldn't be nice, to be able to advertise "Never Number Two'd In" in a classified ad? Imagine the value of such a unit.

Okay, nevermind...

My wonderful mother-in-law loves traveling with us, she's had part of her colon removed and suffers from gastrointestinal sensitivities. We all sat down and frankly discussed our bathroom strategy. It largely comprised guidelines offered by our iRV2 think tank.
  • Water is the black tank's friend: use it freely. This includes lifting rather than depressing the pedal to fill the bowl before "using it" as they say in the urban community
  • The vent fan creates noise, as does the water pump
  • The vent fan should be used EXCEPT during the flush itself
  • Use the bidet generously, but with the vent fan switched off
  • I keep a brush by the toilet and purple cleanser in the overhead cabinet, scrub both bowl and throat with a tiny bit of soap, daily
  • A short can of commercial air freshner is kept in the vanity
  • Boondocking, all dishwater goes into the toilet (carefully check the tub for silverware first!)

At the end of each trip, I hook up the Black Tank Flush; after every five or six trips, I supplement that with a wand-job (the wand is useless if an empty tank has sat overnight, it must be wet). We'll often retain a 3/4 full black tank and a full gray tank for the drive home, empty the icemaker into the black right before leaving the cg.

Finally, 5 gallons of water and a treatment pouch are added after every black tank drainage.

As a result, our bathroom has stayed fresh and clean-smelling. Alas, I can't advertise the rig as a "No Poo Special" when time comes to sell/trade.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #86

There is a lot of stuff going on in this thread. Been camping for many many years. We use the facilities on board and dump when we can. Fan on during a flush means nothing to me and never has. Never EVER gotten a face full of smell when flushing with the fan on and we are on camper #5.
The gray water smells at least as bad as the black water tank after about 2 days of sitting so what is the big deal? Use it and enjoy the comfort and wash your hands after you dump. It is not biohazard material.
If we dump within a few days or so we need no chemical. If dry camped for a week or more in the summer, yes.
Windecker

Old 01-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #87

I searched and searched and finally gave up looking for the elusive no-poo special and bought...
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #88

With my 5er, if I waited to dump for a week or two after I got home, you could "smell" the black tank if you got near it. Haven't noticed that with the MH.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #89
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
With my 5er, if I waited to dump for a week or two after I got home, you could "smell" the black tank if you got near it. Haven't noticed that with the MH.
Maybe your " stuff " doesn't stink anymore. LOL

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #90

Workhorse Chassis Owner
To dump or not to dump (inside) That is the question. We do.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #91

I use mine when I don't have to. See post #75.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #92
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I use mine when I don't have to. See post #75.
Me too... Or me #2...

helps to bridge the time between trips. Can't wait to retire and go full time so I can go in the MH all the time... Maybe that is TMI?

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #93

Been thinking about all the posts about not running the fan while flushing and having never had any issues wonder if folks are hooking up the dump tube/hose/pipe (depending on what you want to call it) and opening the valve while at a campground and leaving the valve open all the time. This WOULD allow nasty gasses to inter the coach.
The proper way to hook up your drain hose to a full hook up camp site is to induce a hump in the hose creating a P trap, or leave your dump valves closed full time and only open them long enough to dump when ever you feel the need, then close them back up.
The problem is the sewer gases coming from the dump opening in the ground are very heavy duty so you need to isolate yourself from them. The gray water drains in your house and camper have "p" traps built in to prevent this, the black water system in your RV does not. Maybe that is why some people complain of nasty oder while flushing with the vent fan on?
Windecker
Old 01-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Been thinking about all the posts about not running the fan while flushing and having never had any issues wonder if folks are hooking up the dump tube/hose/pipe (depending on what you want to call it) and opening the valve while at a campground and leaving the valve open all the time. This WOULD allow nasty gasses to inter the coach.
The proper way to hook up your drain hose to a full hook up camp site is to induce a hump in the hose creating a P trap, or leave your dump valves closed full time and only open them long enough to dump when ever you feel the need, then close them back up.
The problem is the sewer gases coming from the dump opening in the ground are very heavy duty so you need to isolate yourself from them. The gray water drains in your house and camper have "p" traps built in to prevent this, the black water system in your RV does not. Maybe that is why some people complain of nasty oder while flushing with the vent fan on?
Windecker
I don't think that's really what we're talking about. Running the fan in my coach while flushing the toilet is a bad idea even if I'm NOT hooked up at all. My Fantastic fan in the head can really move some air and with the door closed it creates some serious negative pressure. When the toilet is flushed, that negative pressure draws a great deal of air directly into the coach from my black tank... which is vented from the roof so there's a supply of air to be drawn in... once it gets circulated through my black tank. Since I'm always standing, facing the toilet when I flush it this results in a very unwanted blast of... bad air in the face as it rushes toward the fan above.

At least this is why I don't run the fan when flushing.

I sure do agree with you that leaving the black tank drain valve open while connected is asking for trouble!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #95

Alpine Owners Club
With the black tank vent up through the roof any time you have the fan on it can draw air up from the tank when you flush, don't have to be hooked up with the valve open.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #96

Monaco Owners Club
My Two Scents' Worth About Stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
With the black tank vent up through the roof any time you have the fan on it can draw air up from the tank when you flush, don't have to be hooked up with the valve open.
With properly working fan and black tank, everyone should always get a facefull when flushing with the fan running. If not, I'd suspect the fan is not drawing air or the black tank vent is clogged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	17109  
Old 01-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #97

Not sure what I am doing wrong but my fantastic fan is on anytime the bathroom is in use and I just don't have that issue
On our last 5th wheel we put a lilstinker on the black water vent cause we did not have a dump at the house yet (which meant we may have gone a month or so between dumps) and that corrected any black water odors.
On the MH we put a vent cap on that vents during travel cause we sometimes would catch a wiff while driving, that also is now corrected.

Curious why some have issues and others do not. There has to be a reason. Think about it, our houses have more or less all the same things going on. Actually that said, I catch a wiff of the septic system at my house outside more often than I catch a wiff of the MH anytime
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I don't think that's really what we're talking about. Running the fan in my coach while flushing the toilet is a bad idea even if I'm NOT hooked up at all. My Fantastic fan in the head can really move some air and with the door closed it creates some serious negative pressure. When the toilet is flushed, that negative pressure draws a great deal of air directly into the coach from my black tank... which is vented from the roof so there's a supply of air to be drawn in... once it gets circulated through my black tank. Since I'm always standing, facing the toilet when I flush it this results in a very unwanted blast of... bad air in the face as it rushes toward the fan above.

At least this is why I don't run the fan when flushing.

I sure do agree with you that leaving the black tank drain valve open while connected is asking for trouble!

Rick
Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #98

The smell should not come up if you flush fast (repeat the flushing if necessary). If you leave the ball valve full opened for too long, then I imagine is where smell will come up, especially if fan is turned on...

HHIDan is online now   Reply With Quote