Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #99

Here's a thought. Maybe it is the type or design of the toilet that makes the difference.
With the water flowing down the tube to the black tank, maybe, just maybe, it creates an air flow that counters the fan pulling the odor out.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #100

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've read this thread and many others on the same subject over the past 6 months. I've only been Rving for about 6 years, so I know there are MANY folks here that have done this many more years than I have. That said....

I have NEVER had a clog, a dumping problem or a smell problem, ever.
We don't use CG facilities, even if they are available. We don't use a "LOT OF WATER", actually we concentrate using as little as possible. DW only uses the expensive household TP. Yet, I hear all these experienced folks having all these problems with black tanks and the smell of grey tanks and their sensors. What are you folks using as additives (if anything) in your tanks?

I will admit I've rarely camped where there was a sewer dump on site. So I have learned to do things to a bit differently. Like conserve water and concentrate on tank capacities. So are all these problems centered around staying a CGs with on site sewer dumps? I just don't get it.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #101

I had my 5er for 11 years with minimum water use and never had a smell or clog problem.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Just a thought, some of the fans have a 2 way fan, mine only pulls air out of RV. If it pulled in it would not cause smell when toilet flushes.
Rebel
Old 01-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #103
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelone
Just a thought, some of the fans have a 2 way fan, mine only pulls air out of RV. If it pulled in it would not cause smell when toilet flushes.
Rebel
EEK. There is a reason why the fan pulls air out of the RV.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #104
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
I had my 5er for 11 years with minimum water use and never had a smell or clog problem.
I have a bridge for sale.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #105

Put me in your group. We dry camp most of the time, maybe that is the difference? I still say there has to be some sort of fundamental reason why some do and some don't (have smell issues).
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon69 View Post
I've read this thread and many others on the same subject over the past 6 months. I've only been Rving for about 6 years, so I know there are MANY folks here that have done this many more years than I have. That said....

I have NEVER had a clog, a dumping problem or a smell problem, ever.
We don't use CG facilities, even if they are available. We don't use a "LOT OF WATER", actually we concentrate using as little as possible. DW only uses the expensive household TP. Yet, I hear all these experienced folks having all these problems with black tanks and the smell of grey tanks and their sensors. What are you folks using as additives (if anything) in your tanks?

I will admit I've rarely camped where there was a sewer dump on site. So I have learned to do things to a bit differently. Like conserve water and concentrate on tank capacities. So are all these problems centered around staying a CGs with on site sewer dumps? I just don't get it.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #106

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Put me in your group. We dry camp most of the time, maybe that is the difference? I still say there has to be some sort of fundamental reason why some do and some don't (have smell issues).
Windecker
Nobody is talking I guess Windecker. I *suspect* they use no kind of additives or something formaldehyde based. I don't know what your secret is, but......I've had septic tanks most of my 40+ years of home ownership. I know when they work, when they don't and the reasons for both. Built my present house in 2005, a few years after I retired. Have never pumped it out and never will. To know it's working good, I take the lid off a few times a year and get a good whiff and check for solids. No smell, workin' good! If it's smelling a bit and see excessive solids floating, I contribute that to the bleach the DW uses doing the laundry. So I just add some bacteria.

The same principle works in holding tanks. The only difference is how long it remains in the tank. If left long enough with no bacterial killing agents, everything will turn to liquid and CO2. However, holding tanks *usually* don't sit that long before needing a dump. Perhaps since we conserve water and probably dump 50% less, ours has the chance to turn everything to liquid. I've never taken that chance though. I always pour a little Rid-X in my tank after it's emptied. That makes SURE there is plenty of bacteria right off the bat. Also, I NEVER flush my tank, that just gets rid of the remaining bacteria, which is waiting for all that chow, in the next tank. ..... One of the reasons I never want to be reincarnated as a bacteria.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #107

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post

I have a bridge for sale.
....and the world is flat and everyone is lying. Me thinks living like an ostrich is a dark place to be.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #108
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have found that adding rid-x as jlyon69 mentioned helps greatly. I add a little each time along with oxiboost or oxiclean to each tank. I found out they are peroxide oxygenation that react to organic material. We have been totally surprised how well it has worked. Now we can #2 at will.

Best part is that it no longer smells like a porta Jon with the funky blue chemical smell. Don't use in any holding tank that you may poor bleach into. Bad reaction when you mix oxiclean with bleach. But in the black tank they do wonders. Give it a try. It takes about two weekend trips or two weeks to build up the bacteria.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #109

Not sure, maybe.
I don't think putting bleach into a plastic tank is good for the plastic
Yea, I don't flush the tank but maybe the last use of the year and always leave a little water in there to lube the seals. Before I had indoor storage I would use RV antifreeze to keep things lubed.

Not flushing the tank and adding Rid X sounds backwards to fixing the problem doesn't it
Maybe you guys are onto something. I sure would like to figure it out because it appears there are several people that would benifit. Maybe it is as simple as doing less but honestly that sounds backwards!
Windecker

Quote:
Nobody is talking I guess Windecker. I *suspect* they use no kind of additives or something formaldehyde based. I don't know what your secret is, but......I've had septic tanks most of my 40+ years of home ownership. I know when they work, when they don't and the reasons for both. Built my present house in 2005, a few years after I retired. Have never pumped it out and never will. To know it's working good, I take the lid off a few times a year and get a good whiff and check for solids. No smell, workin' good! If it's smelling a bit and see excessive solids floating, I contribute that to the bleach the DW uses doing the laundry. So I just add some bacteria.

The same principle works in holding tanks. The only difference is how long it remains in the tank. If left long enough with no bacterial killing agents, everything will turn to liquid and CO2. However, holding tanks *usually* don't sit that long before needing a dump. Perhaps since we conserve water and probably dump 50% less, ours has the chance to turn everything to liquid. I've never taken that chance though. I always pour a little Rid-X in my tank after it's emptied. That makes SURE there is plenty of bacteria right off the bat. Also, I NEVER flush my tank, that just gets rid of the remaining bacteria, which is waiting for all that chow, in the next tank. ..... One of the reasons I never want to be reincarnated as a bacteria.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
I have found that adding rid-x as jlyon69 mentioned helps greatly. I add a little each time along with oxiboost or oxiclean to each tank. I found out they are peroxide oxygenation that react to organic material. We have been totally surprised how well it has worked. Now we can #2 at will.
Aren't those two things at odds with each other? I thought "oxi" products killed bacteria.

Quote:

Windecker
I think the rubber seals are at more risk than the tanks themselves. Most of us who have used bleach to disinfect tanks use it very sparingly and never leave it in the tank for more than a couple of hours.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #111

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Not sure, maybe.
Yea, I don't flush the tank but maybe the last use of the year and always leave a little water in there to lube the seals. Before I had indoor storage I would use RV antifreeze to keep things lubed.

Not flushing the tank and adding Rid X sounds backwards to fixing the problem doesn't it
Maybe you guys are onto something. I sure would like to figure it out because it appears there are several people that would benifit. Maybe it is as simple as doing less but honestly that sounds backwards!
Windecker

Sorry if you misunderstood. The bleach I was referring to was from laundry the wife does at home. Eventually it will kill most bacteria in our septic tank, so that's when I add Rid-X. We NEVER use bleach in either holding tank on the MH. Using bleach and/or any product containing formaldehyde kills the bacteria that turns organic material into water and CO2.

"Not flushing the tank and adding Rid X sounds backwards to fixing the problem doesn't it"

No. I don't flush the tank between dumpings. That keeps some of the bacteria in the tank....which aids in breaking down waste in the next round. After I see any liquid in the tank from up top (meaning the drain pipe is now full) I throw in extra Rid-X just for good measure. By the time you start adding solids, the bacteria has multiplied enough to turn any solid waste to liquid over night.

I have recently switch from Rid-X to a different product for use in our MH. It has much more concentrated bacteria, and so far seems to work better/faster. It's also in a liquid form which is easier to use and less messy than the powered Rid-X. Also only 2 ounces for 40 gals. I use in the grey water tank too. It eats any solids there as well, as well as any grease or build up, which keeps level sensors and gauges working properly....no smell in grey either.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
I have recently switch from Rid-X to a different product for use in our MH. It has much more concentrated bacteria, and so far seems to work better/faster. It's also in a liquid form which is easier to use and less messy than the powered Rid-X. Also only 2 ounces for 40 gals. I use in the grey water tank too. It eats any solids there as well, as well as any grease or build up, which keeps level sensors and gauges working properly....no smell in grey either.
Can you tell us what is the product that you recently switched to?

Sheila

~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote