Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #1

Question about OBC II.

I have a 96 ford with a 460. It has a OBC II connector and just before I purchased the motor home I went to a parts store and asked the guy to read the OBC to see if any codes had been erased or stored. When he hook up the OBC reader it would not read or connect to the computer.

He mentioned that even though it was a 96 and that was the fist year that Ford went to OBC II and it might not read it.

Can anyone confirm this?

I also was wondering if there is a fuse for the readout port. I did find a fuse box with 4 or 5 fuses in it, under the hood on the right side. One of the 5A fuse was bad and I could not find them in the user manual.

To date I have not had a chance to take it back to the parts store and try again..

Any info would be helpful.

BARNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is the same way look under the hood for the ODB-1 plug mine has both and my auto xray won't read from either plug. As for the plug being dead from fuse I beleive it comes from the computer so if it was dead the computer would be as well.

1996 GulfStream Conquest 31feet May 2011
1984 SouthWind 27feet loved for 6 years
1 Wife 6 Kids
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
It is fused on the later models. If I remember right it shares the fuse with the cig lighter.
Most RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
2000 National Sea Breeze F53
1998 CRV Toad
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Well that sucks. I wanted to buy the UltraGauge so I could monitor fuel, RPM and other things under the hood.

It reads the info from the OBC II connector. Maybe I'll ask Ford.

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Found this on the internet.

The Connector

Pin 2 - J1850 Bus+
Pin 4 - Chassis Ground
Pin 5 - Signal Ground
Pin 6 - CAN High (J-2284)
Pin 7 - ISO 9141-2 K Line
Pin 10 - J1850 Bus
Pin 14 - CAN Low (J-2284)
Pin 15 - ISO 9141-2 L Line
Pin 16 - Battery Power

The Five Flavors of OBD II
While the parameters, or readings, required by OBD II regulations are uniform, the auto manufacturers had some latitude in the communications protocol they used to transmit those readings to scanners. Naturally, each felt they had the one true way, so we have five different OBD II communications protocols in use.
The big scanner consoles costing thousands of dollars include the decoding software and firmware for all five protocols in their units, making them universal. Less expensive units, for home or small shop use, are usually customized for a specific communications protocol. Be sure the scanner you are using suits the protocol of your car.
What Communications Protocol does my vehicle use?
As a rule of thumb, GM cars and light trucks use SAE J1850 VPW (Variable Pulse Width Modulation). Chrysler products and all European and most Asian imports use ISO 9141 or KWP2000 circuitry. Fords use SAE J1850 PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) communication patterns. All 2008 and newer model year vehicles use CAN.
There are some variations among captive imports such as the Cadillac Catera, a German Opel derivative, which uses the European ISO 9141 protocol. If you have first hand knowledge of other such variations, please send them in and, together, we can build a more complete listing.
On 1996 and later vehicles, you can tell which protocol is used by examining the OBD II connector:
  • J1850 VPW --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 2, 4, 5, and 16, but not 10.
  • ISO 9141-2/KWP2000 --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 4, 5, 7, 15, and 16.
  • J1850 PWM --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 2, 4, 5, 10, and 16.
  • CAN --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 4, 5, 6, 14 and 16.
If your vehicle has this style connector, but doesn't have these pins populated, you probably have a pre-OBDII vehicle. To add some confusion, even having the connector with the contacts shown above is not a guarantee of OBD II compliance. This style connector has been seen on some pre-1996 vehicles which were not OBD II compliant.

I guess it isnt so universal after all
Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Scan Guage says it works on all but Deisel engines in 1996 Fords.
ScanGaugeII - Compatible Vehicle List
They read several protocols

1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The auto parts guy should have been able to swap out the adapters and get it to read...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
Remember auto parts store guys are NOT mechanics...they have NO business attempting to any sort of vehicle diagnosis with their hands....the adverts of them being able to do this is a sales gimmick....nothing more....

Your coach may be titled as a 96, but could actually be a 95 chassis...which of course is OBD-1. Some info is available with OBD-1. When OBD-1 appeared, it seemed amazing it could give what info it did, then OBD-2 came in 96..and it made OBD-1 seem historic
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
On another thread the problem was solved but not in my favor.

Even though the Ultra-Gauge website says it should work on a 96, E350, non diesel vehicle, it dont.

I guess only the 96 California vehicles were required to be OBD2 compliant in 96. I have both OBD1 and ODB2 plugs on this motorhome and even though the OBD2 plug had power it would not scan the port. Only the ODB1 port will work.

I have confirmed the Ultra-Gauge does work on another car (1999 GM).

Oh well, I dont think Ultra-Gauge will do anything for me, I have opened a support desk ticket and I'll wait and see what they say.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by BARNES View Post
I have confirmed the Ultra-Gauge does work on another car (1999 GM).

Oh well, I dont think Ultra-Gauge will do anything for me, I have opened a support desk ticket and I'll wait and see what they say.
Larry, How did that work out for you, the trouble ticket that is. Anyone respond?
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
Yes, they did respond and told me that I could ship it back for full refund.

I decided to keep it and use it on something else.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
On the OBD-1 Ford all you need to pull codes is a paper clip. I've been doing it for over 10 years on my Bronco and other friend's/family member's Ford trucks. Just need to figure out if you have 2 digit or 3 digit codes and keep a copy of the codes and what they mean on hand, that's what I plan on doing.

Bob Kulhanek 1995, 29 ft, Coachman Leprechaun, Ford E-350, EFI 460, 4.0 Onan Gen

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote