Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I know a lot of you guys use the scan gauge device to view data from your RV's computer but has anyone tried a wireless device using your smartphone or iPad to watch your performance data? I will be getting some kind of device soon and I think I could see my iPad resting on top of the center console displaying useful data with large readable displays. Anybody do this? And what wireless device, app have you tried?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just ordered bluetooth Elm 327 OBD2 scanner for $7.75 and a $4.95 android app. Have no idea if they will even work together or not. If it does work I will post results in product evaluation section in a week or two. No workie no talkie.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I use Garmin EcoRoute and it sends info to a free "Mechanic" app on my android smart phone where you can choose the info you want. Good info

Here is a review--- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362648,00.asp
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I've been looking at the fusion app for apple. Though the wireless device is a little pricey.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I think I got my Garmin for about $82.00 in Canada. Check out YouTube for info.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:38 AM   #6

I bought a Wifi wireless device that met the ELM 327 spec above. Seemed to power up and was transmitting a wifi signal that I could see. However, I couldn't get either my iPad or iPhone to work with some free software that I bought. I am suspecting from what I have been reading there are plenty of Android solutions out there priced very comfortably. Everything on the iOS side of the house was running closer to 100 or more.

I never did try with a Windows laptop with the device I purchased. May have had some success as there was a disc with some software and drivers but that wasn't the solution I was after.

Hence, I took my pride(25 dollar loss) and bought me a ScanGauge - I leave in the MH permanently now.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Just an FYI, you'll find WiFi, Bluetooth and USB ELM327s. I believe the anything iOS (iPad, iPhone or iPod) can only use the WiFi versions. I believe Android can use any of the 3.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #8

I have the iOBD2 ( https://www.google.com/search?q=iOBD...w=1760&bih=872) wifi I use with my iPad while driving. My 1999 Chevy 454 has little supported for OBD. When on my Dodge it gets more. Always has just enough info to not be worthless
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
I have the iOBD2 ( https://www.google.com/search?q=iOBD...w=1760&bih=872) wifi I use with my iPad while driving. My 1999 Chevy 454 has little supported for OBD. When on my Dodge it gets more. Always has just enough info to not be worthless
What app are you running on your iPad?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John How View Post
What app are you running on your iPad?

There is an accompanying app you download for it.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
I kind of have to agree that I don't see it particarly useful for most people (although newew models might provide more info). I have USB reader that I use with a notebook and about the only thing it's really useful for is finding / resetting error codes.

I certainly don't see myself using it every day or even every week.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #12

Why try to build all this when you can just plugin a scanguagecd and get all the info you want with no hassle? Probably also less expensive in the long run.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote