Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Octane Advice?

I have received a lot of excellent advice since joining this forum. I just want to thank you in advance for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience it has really been helpful.

Okay now I have another question. Which octane fuel is recommended for a Ford V10 6.8L engine. I've read where it doesn't pay to run anything higher than 87 octane. Any advice?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Less than scientific for an answer but when we had the class C with a Ford V10 we never ran anything but 87 and never had a problem.

They used to say if your car doesn't "ping" with lower grade gas, don't waste your money on higher octane. That said our little toad doesn't ping on 87 but sure seems to run better on 93.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:53 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It was designed to run on regular unleaded. Any time you change, the ECM has to re-learn how to run on what you give it.

Had a V-10 truck pulling a 5er and had a V-10 motorhome. I played around with mid grade gas several times but could not see any difference except the cost was higher. MPG even stayed the same, though I never stayed with the higher octane for more than a few tanks.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is my take:

Use whatever octane the owners manual or manufacturer says is best. Except for high preformance highly tuned or specifically designed engines 87 octane is just fine and there is no benefit in running higher octane. If you ping have your engine tuned before moving to a higher octane.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Go with the owners manual. We had a 1999 V-10 in a Minnie Winnie and it was not sensitive to fuel...all it wanted was lots of it, so it got what was cheap and never a ping or shudder.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #6

Given the exact same engine conditions, timing, compression, etc, if it doesn't ping on 87, you will not gain performance with higher octane. Lower octane burns faster than higher octane, so you should get more power with lower octane.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Be careful some places, like northern Texas, have 85 octane. If your in the habbit of pushing the cheapest button like I am you will get a surprise about 10 miles after fillup. I did that on a trip to South Dakota. My Silverado ran like a dog for a couple of hundred miles. Tnen I filled up with 93 and all was well. My Ford V10 runs great on 87 and I am very carefull to check which button I am pushing.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
With engines with a "knock sensor", if pinging occurs then the timing curved is changed. You will not hear the pinging but the timing will be retarded to stop the pinging, hence the poor performance.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Buy GOOD gas with proper additives and 87 octane.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The V10 is a low compression engine and is meant to run on 87. The higher the compression ratio, the more octane is needed to prevent detonation, aka spark knock (the fuel igniting before the spark plugs does it). Many folks think the higher the octane the hotter it is, not really so. Low octane will ignite under lower pressure than high octane and high octane burns slower. Just like all others have stated, no spark knock, you're good to go on 87 and 89 or more is a waste.

One time with my 10.5 to 1 compression ratio motorcycle I was forced to use 85 octane. I put in 4 gals and went across the street to a trucking business and bought 1/3 gal of diesel. It smoked a little but sure didn't spark knock or fry my engine!
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #11

Be aware that many fuel stations in the higher elevations out west will have 85 Octane, which Ford recommends not be used.

Consequently, you may have to use the 89 Octane fuel as we've done many times.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #12

A lot of people go by what the greedy oil companies brain washed into their daddies head and was passed on to them. "Super", "Premium", "High Test", etc would give them more power.

If you don't believe what is being preached here, in a safe place, run a line of 87 and a line of 92 on the ground. Light them at the same time and see which gets to the end first. Do you want slow burning gasoline in your engine if you don't need it?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can use 85 octane at the higher elevations where it is sold with no problems. You will suffer a power loss at lower elevations with the same fuel. There is no advantage to using 89 octane in an engine that is designed to use 87, unless you consider the higher cost per gallon an advantage.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i have a car that gets insane gas mileage. about 76mpg. every little thing makes a difference. lower octane yields better mileage. higher octane gets you more power. assuming the engine adjusts with a knock sensor (fairly modern engine). every step up in octane lost me about 3 mpg.