Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2005, 08:16 AM   #1

This is crazy, but let me run it by y'all.

My mother in law and current husband are looking at MH. Class A, C, unsure right now. Actually it is her doing, he is along for the ride (so to speak) she is in her mid 60's and he in his early 70's. She has very poor leg circulation, collapsed archs and difficulty walking. He is extremely over weight and has virtually no use of his knees. She has enough problems keeping a minivan in good condition much less a 30' coach. She has bounced around some local dealers and they recommended a special order because she wants twin beds and diesel. Her daughter (my wife) may have her sold on the idea of renting a 28' class C for a weekend and going to a local state park to get a taste of the lifestyle. We are afraid she cannot handle driving the coach, parking, and the routine hook ups. Since we are loosing the battle right now ("You don't want me spending your inheritence!" I could care less, it is the safety of everyone I am worried about.) is there a coach manufacturer that offers a level floor, diesel (front or rear), twin beds, and a low step in height?

This is not a joke, nor is it meant to offend anyone. My wife was in tears last night trying to talk common sense into this lady.

1993 Ford F350 CC Dually
Pafixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2005, 08:16 AM   #2

This is crazy, but let me run it by y'all.

My mother in law and current husband are looking at MH. Class A, C, unsure right now. Actually it is her doing, he is along for the ride (so to speak) she is in her mid 60's and he in his early 70's. She has very poor leg circulation, collapsed archs and difficulty walking. He is extremely over weight and has virtually no use of his knees. She has enough problems keeping a minivan in good condition much less a 30' coach. She has bounced around some local dealers and they recommended a special order because she wants twin beds and diesel. Her daughter (my wife) may have her sold on the idea of renting a 28' class C for a weekend and going to a local state park to get a taste of the lifestyle. We are afraid she cannot handle driving the coach, parking, and the routine hook ups. Since we are loosing the battle right now ("You don't want me spending your inheritence!" I could care less, it is the safety of everyone I am worried about.) is there a coach manufacturer that offers a level floor, diesel (front or rear), twin beds, and a low step in height?

This is not a joke, nor is it meant to offend anyone. My wife was in tears last night trying to talk common sense into this lady.

1993 Ford F350 CC Dually
Old 09-27-2005, 09:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Let them rent the RV and go away for a weekend. Don't give them any physical assistance (advice is OK) and see if they can do it, then go from there. If they find that they are physically taxed in doing setup/breakdown chores they (she) may change her tune.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I certainly agree that if you can get them to rent one first, that is the best thing for them.
But to answer your other questions, a Class A might be better than a C from the standpoint of ease of moving from front seats to the rear of the coach. Both a gasser and a diesel will have steps in the entry way that they have to climb.
If they would not be towing a car and would be using the motorhome to do site-seeing, a Class C might be better.
Either one, as you mentioned, requires maintenance.
Just keep it into them to rent first!!
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:36 PM   #5

I have to agree with renting first to see if they even like the life style of RVing. Renting one is not cheap but it is a LOT cheaper than buying one and finding out you don't like RVing or can't handle the work involved. RVing tends to be an active life style and can be tiring even for one in good health, especially when things break or go wrong and believe me they always break or go wrong. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have to agree, renting would be the best option at this time. I would recommend not just a weekend but at least a week. A weekend won't be long enough to get the true feeling of RVing. I would suggest a park has large sites either pull thru's or backin's. The other thing I've found out fulltiming, you have to get along in a very small space. You don't have another part of a house to go to. Good luck
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Lets say they pass the test of rental and being off for a week. If they do decide to buy I would also recommend a small class A but with a cheel chair side entrance. There are manufacturers that will install these from the plant and this will ease the problem of mobility. Hope they do have fun as this is what it is all about.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:29 AM   #8

Thanks guys. I have only had a 5'r for about 9 months now and never camped prior so my knowledge of units etc is limited.

My wife asked if I would let them camp w/ us and I came up w/ the rental idea. There is a dealer w/in an hr of here that rents them ($225 a day). Like you said, not cheap but beats a $65k mistake.

Thanks for the info on the walk thru and wheel chair accessable doors. I don't think they will be towing. Lord knows I'll never mention it. We are still not sure of what her intention / desire to own one is. That is part of the problem with trying to help her. She has no clear cut plan or vision. Until a month ago she did not realize they had holding tanks. Yep, she thought it emptied as you drove! Unsure of zoning and home owner restrictions for storage etc.

It has been a huge battle and she thinks our intentions are to "sabatoge" her plans. Trust me when she is happy, my wife is happy so I'm happy. My wife kind of "carries" her since her brothers think she is too whacked and gave up on dealing with her.

Oh well, enough rambling. We will push the rental and I will keep you posted!

1993 Ford F350 CC Dually
Old 09-28-2005, 05:20 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Winnebago sells fully handicap equiped motorhomes. See:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/html/pro...s/ability.html

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:30 PM   #10

Agree good idea to rent. Also agree on Class A. If he has knee probles and is a big guy, he's not going to fit in the passenger seat of a C very comfortably. Much easier to move around in an A.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:41 AM   #11

Another area to research would be rv sellers that specialize in handicap style MH's. Check out RVsearch.com.
rvtraderonline.com

Also try a search engine called copernic agent. It searches 8-12 of the larger sites at one time and gives you the results in popular order.

Derek aka Mindcandies
Old 09-30-2005, 10:31 AM   #12

Thanks for the Winnebego link. She has contacted them and they do offer a diesel C. She thinks an A is too large.

I talked to her today and her comment was "If you think by renting one it will change my decision to buy, you are wrong."

Oh well. You can lead a horse to water...

Any thoughts on the the "View" model Winnie? Sprinter chassis w/ MB diesel.

1993 Ford F350 CC Dually
Old 09-30-2005, 05:30 PM   #13

You might try telling her that you are not trying to change her mind, rather to open her mind to what RVing is all about. The reality is often different from our dreams. Good luck I think you are going to need it.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:59 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Novi:
You might try telling her that you are not trying to change her mind, rather to open her mind to what RVing is all about. The reality is often different from our dreams. Good luck I think you are going to need it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like that Novi!
I know with me that was very true. I thought "camping" meant sweating my tail off, uncomfortable sleep, bugs and general discomfort. Truth be told, it is some of the best family time and experiences I have ever had.

1993 Ford F350 CC Dually