Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #15

Costco couldn't get them when I was trying to buy them.

dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
dvkiel
Keep an eye on the sidewalls of your Michelin tires... mine are developing sidewall CRACKS at only 3 1/2 years of age!
Mel
'96 Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvkiel View Post
Yes that was the problem with the tires when I bought the unit, so I replaced all 6 tires and immediately also bought tire covers as well. Thanks for the info.
dvkiel
Unfortunately buying $3,500+ worth of tires every 3-4 years is way above my pay grade.
I will be driving with my fingers crossed for at least 3 more years.
No more Michelins for me..... my next set of 6 will be good tires, (like Goodyears or Dunlaps).
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 10-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #17

Anyone
Would you be concerned about sidewall cracks like these:

on Michelin 9R22.5 XZE tires with manufacturing dates of 0711, making them 40 months., (aka: only 3 years and 4 months) old?
An inspection report, written by "Pomp's, The Tire Professionals", (my local Michelin tire dealer), states:
[quote] This condition "somewhat normal" for the Michelin brand tire. Condition "should" not be a safety concern. Suggest the tires should be inspected again after one calendar year. [end quote].
NOTE: the quotation marks in the above report are as written.

That report does not exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Anyone
Mel,

My Michelins looked exactly like that when I replaced them earlier this year with Goodyears. The only difference is mine were eight years old. I didn't know they could sidewall crack this fast.

By the way. Love the Goodyear 245 75 22.5 tires. The ride seems smoother and quieter, but could be just than new tire afterglow! Got all six for $2800 out the door.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #19

Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you buy tires online from a company like simpletire, how hard is it to find someone to install them?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
OR if you buy them for even less at a Sam's Club or Costco!
Mel
'96 Safari
Good advice, Mel,
Make sure you check the date codes before they install them, and you might want to take the tires to a truck stop and have them balance them and install them, as most Sam's and Costco do not have the big tire balance equipment, and if they do have it, they do not know how to use it!
Old 10-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=mel s;2254747]Anyone

on Michelin 9R22.5 XZE tires with manufacturing dates of 0711, making them 40 months., (aka: only 3 years and 4 months) old?
An inspection report, written by "Pomp's, The Tire Professionals", (my local Michelin tire dealer), states:
Quote:
This condition "somewhat normal" for the Michelin brand tire. Condition "should" not be a safety concern. Suggest the tires should be inspected again after one calendar year. [end quote].
NOTE: the quotation marks in the above report are as written.

That report does not exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Mel
'96 Safari

Mel, that tire is probably on the sun side of your coach, where you park it the most, and from not being driven enough. Pomp's tire is a very good, reputable, tire dealer, and I would do just like they say, just keep an eye on them, and I think you will be fine! My tires on my semi that were Michelin's were the same way, and they got exercised every day, and Pomp's did that work too, as I replaced all 8 at the same time! But they were down to 4 and 5/32 tread, so I figured I got my money's worth!
Old 10-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mant View Post
If you buy tires online from a company like simpletire, how hard is it to find someone to install them?
Mant, any truck stop or truck tire dealer will mount and balance them for you, so not to worry!
Old 10-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #23

[QUOTE=guardrail53;2257799]
Quote:
Anyone

Mel, that tire is probably on the sun side of your coach, where you park it the most, and from not being driven enough. Pomp's tire is a very good, reputable, tire dealer, and I would do just like they say, just keep an eye on them, and I think you will be fine! My tires on my semi that were Michelin's were the same way, and they got exercised every day, and Pomp's did that work too, as I replaced all 8 at the same time! But they were down to 4 and 5/32 tread, so I figured I got my money's worth!
guardrail53
Thanks for the reply.
Those cracks are on the sun side, (outward face), of 4 of the 6 three year old Michelin XZE tires on my coach.
I don't know, (and frankly don't want to know), if every sidewall on every one of my six Michelins is cracking.
When I upgraded from Goodyears, to what I thought were the "best tires in the world", I did not expect that I would have to "keep an eye on them", (aka: worry about my $3500+ tire investment), because the former 2 sets of 6 Goodyear tires had no sidewall cracks when they where replaced at 8 and 7 years of age.
Your information makes me feel somewhat better, (but definitely NOT comfortable, happy, or satisfied), with my choice of Michelin tires.
Thanks again.
Mel
'96 Safari, (driving with my fingers crossed for 3-4 more years)
Old 10-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
dvkiel
Keep an eye on the sidewalls of your Michelin tires... mine are developing sidewall CRACKS at only 3 1/2 years of age!
Mel
'96 Safari

Mel, my previous tires had the same cracks. For three years but my tire dealer confirmed they were still safe. I drove them to just over six years of age. Drove me crazy knowing the cracks were there and I felt the age was old enough. Rather be safe than sorry. BTW, I didn't replace with Michelin.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 10-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
[QUOTE=mel s;2257957]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post

guardrail53
Thanks for the reply.
Those cracks are on the sun side, (outward face), of 4 of the 6 three year old Michelin XZE tires on my coach.
I don't know, (and frankly don't want to know), if every sidewall on every one of my six Michelins is cracking.
When I upgraded from Goodyears, to what I thought were the "best tires in the world", I did not expect that I would have to "keep an eye on them", (aka: worry about my $3500+ tire investment), because the former 2 sets of 6 Goodyear tires had no sidewall cracks when they where replaced at 8 and 7 years of age.
Your information makes me feel somewhat better, (but definitely NOT comfortable, happy, or satisfied), with my choice of Michelin tires.
Thanks again.
Mel
'96 Safari, (driving with my fingers crossed for 3-4 more years)
MEL: FWIW, part of your cracking issue may be caused by lack of use, IF you stay parked a lot. Also, the Michelin "XRV" tires commonly used as OE on lots of MH chassis have extra UV resistance built into them because this lack of use issue common with MH. The XZE tires you have most likely don't include the "extra" UV protection because they are primarily intended for long haul truck use, where age isn't normally a problem. FWIW, the cracks you have are not severe enough to demand immediate replacement, IMO, but you will need to keep a close eye on them. Michelin offers a crack comparison tool (chart) and you can usually get them at a Michelin booth at RV shows or rallies.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
[QUOTE=edgray;2260754]
Quote:
MEL: FWIW, part of your cracking issue may be caused by lack of use, IF you stay parked a lot. Also, the Michelin "XRV" tires commonly used as OE on lots of MH chassis have extra UV resistance built into them because this lack of use issue common with MH. The XZE tires you have most likely don't include the "extra" UV protection because they are primarily intended for long haul truck use, where age isn't normally a problem. FWIW, the cracks you have are not severe enough to demand immediate replacement, IMO, but you will need to keep a close eye on them. Michelin offers a crack comparison tool (chart) and you can usually get them at a Michelin booth at RV shows or rallies.

Edgar's, you are correct and my dealer used a gauge to measure them which was his determination they were safe. Mine was stored inside my building so sun was not a factor. We used it fairly often but not as often as we use a MH these days.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD