Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I am a little confused because Goodyear doesn't list a 225/70R/19.5 in the G149 line
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g149rsa.html
Is that just a Goodyear error? That would have been a great tire if it had fitted my MH.

My MH has been four corner weighed when fully loaded and my tire pressures are corrent as in accordance with Goodyear recommendations. I actually run them a little over the recommended pressures for safety. It was the Goodyear Company representative that told me that my tire pressures and alignment was all correct but I should not have used those tires on the MH regardless of what Goodyear states.
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g647rss.html

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:29 AM   #16

MIKE: I don't have the exact size of the G670 written down...but it certainly is a "normal" size. 19.5".
Original factory supplied....got new tires and shocks at CW at 28,000 miles. Kind of early, yes...I cold have gotten another cross-country trip out of them (5-8,000 more miles), but I had a blow-out just east of El Paso on I-10. (the driver side inside rear).
When the tire guy put the spare (never on the road) against the "good" tire, I was astounded about the difference in height of the tire. I told him not to put the new tire next to the old (the new one, I thought, would then take most of the weight...and I'd have ANOTHER blowout)....so he took the "old" front tire and put that on the rear....and put the "new" tire up front by itself. That was enough reason for me to get 6 new. The spare went back to being the spare.

jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:09 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

So Jim how old were those original tires that had the blow out and 28,000 on them?

I had a tread seperation on the rear inner tire at the five and three quarter year mark on the tires with still good tread on the tires. Those where the old model Goodyear tire and not those newer G647's.

Here is a question for all. As we all know there is a six year old safety age limit on tires from the DOT date on the side of the tires. Do most MH owners get 6 years life out of tire or do you have to change them before the six years due to tread wear?

I have been told by several MH tire places that I should be changing the tires due to age and not because I am wearing out the tread. They say the tread should last longer than the six year life of the tire. Is that what everyone sees?

How many of you MH owners that have spare tire have one that is over six years old?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #18
Edw

I have original 1998 tires on my Seabreeze. Purchased MH last January with 35k miles, had Goodyear truck tire center inspect and told me not to waste my money replacing. weighed the coach and set the pressures right. I check my pressures every travel morning when cold and have not lost a pound. Even bought a small air compressor to keep on board but have not used it yet. We put another 7k miles on them and plan on having them checked in spring. G159 19.5 and looking real good on tread and sidewalls. Thinking of replacing with Mich. for smooth quite ride when needed.

Sea Breeze 31'
Edw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Edw, Goodyear states that their tires should be inspected at the 5 or 6 year mark and not used past the ten year mark. You exceed that ten year mark. The RVIA has also put out a guidline that RV tires should not go over 6 years. The Federal Government is going to make it a law that tires cannot be on cars or any vehicle six years past the DOT stamp date on the tire. They are even going to make it against the law to sell a tire that is over six years old. Your motorhome is ten years old with only 35K miles on it and that means it has been sitting on those tires for a long time which makes it worse. It is not that the tires lose pressure it is the belts separate from age. It is not something you can see on the outside of the tire by inspection. When they go the belt comes off the tire it is an immediate loss of pressure, a blowout. If it happens on the front you are in for a big ride. One thing you might want to consider is just putting the new Michelins on the front for safety. If you read either of the two Motor Home magazines they will warn you time and time again of not running a tire over six years.

If you are going to continue to drive on them then if you suddenly feel a vibration pull over right away because that is the first stage of belt/tread separation making the tire go out of round. If it is a front tire and it goes before you pull over then do not hit your brakes let in slow down slowly.

Goodyear states that tires should not go over ten years old
Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
check out the TST TRUCK wireless tire pressure AND temperature monitor for an early warning of problems with your tires and brakes.
i will probably continue to use michelins when my existing michelins are 10 years old.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:31 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

www.michelinrvtires.com/assets...ife-for-RV-Tires.pdf
Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club

Hi Mike,

The tire size is 235/85/16. The mileage question is a little more complicated. The Toyo’s were on it when I bought the unit. The build dates are 2004. The prior owner had the left front caliper hang up causing the replacement of the Caliper, Rotor, Pads and Tire. (Michelin XPS) Two weeks later the right front started acting up so he had the right front and everything on the rear replaced. (No one told him that the Caliper pins and slides needed yearly maintenance). At that time the Toyo’s Hyparadial M 54 were installed. All tires are the same size. Checking a cross reference the Toyo’s cross with the Michelin’s XPS. They haven’t been in business as long as Michelin. But I haven’t found anything negative about them. I found one article about a dispute with one Motor Home builder about tire issues. Don’t know if it was ever resolved. I’ve put about 5000 to 6000 miles on them. Don’t know what the previous owner did.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I will replace our steer tires after about 5 or six years and leave the rear tires alone until they show visable signs of cracking and deteriation.

You dont want a steer tire blow out. One of my friends sprained his wrist from a steer tire blow out. It pulls that steering wheel with great force.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

My friend was asleep in the back of his MH while his wife was driving and they had a tread separation due to tire age while on the bypass around Birmingham. She could not hold the steering wheel and hit the brakes hard with the front wheels now turned due to the drag of the blown tire. The motorhome went sideways and rolled and came apart. He had a broken hip and she broke both arms but they lived and were not hit by a truck or car. They were lucky.

I have a Steer Safe unit on my MH just in case something happens when my wife is at the wheel or me. Haven't had to test it yet but it does help if you drop on to a shoulder or when truck pass you.
http://www.campingworld.com/sh...uct/steer-safe-/1543
Old 01-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #25

Howdy!

Mike, I don't know why the G149 225/70R/19.5 is not listed on the web-site but I just had six of them put on my MDT. I went with the G149 because G649 were hard to come by in the 14 ply, was advised that they were being replaced.

The G149 is a heavy tire an only comes in a 14 ply and runs at 110 lbs pressure.

Check with the nearest Goodyear Wingfoot near you they should have are can get the G149.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
Old 01-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

My older Goodyear tires I took off were the G149 in the 19.5 and I loved them. They had good wear. When I replaced them about 2-3 years ago Goodyesr said they had stopped making them in my size and to go the the G647 RSA then the RSS which was now the only tire Goodyear offered in my size. Take a close look at the DOT date on your tires and see what year they are. Maybe they were made before they stopped them. I would be real interested in figuring this out.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I recently replaced four 2002 dated Michelins (48k miles) with Continentals (which were apx $100 less each than the Michelins) ...22.5" load range H tires ...because the original Michelin XZA2 tires could not be found. Continentals are pretty common on OTR trucks. I wouldn't go with an unknown/Chinese brand as I have read too much bad info about their reliability. I keep my tires covered when parked, and never park on concrete without a vapor barrier. The four I replaced looked great both outside and in, but 7 yrs was enough for me!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:36 AM   #28

I just replaced my goodyears with michelin XZE+2
they ride better and handle better than the goodyears which only had 24k and were wearing on the otter edges 5 years old ,I had front end checked all ok.