Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #29

Mike, I made sure I purchased fresh tires I've had that problem before. The G149 225/70R/19.5 are new DOT on the tires are 4508.

"Happy Trails"

chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:38 AM   #30
MIKE CANTER: to answer your question....the tires (original) were 5 years old. I know the "rule of thumb" is that RV tires "should" get replaced at 5 or 6 years...but my originals showed absolutely no sign of sidewall "cracking" or anything else. I suspect, that without that blowout I could have gotten a couple more SAFE years out of them. However.......
Lots of threads here (and other sites) about improper inflation, etc., and when I had that blowout, I asked the repair guy if he THOUGHT it was my fault (under inflation, over loading, etc.,) and he said "no...you hit something". At least, that made me feel better.

So here we are. Once again, I'm sticking with the original product (Goodyears)...they're a first class product. I tend to stay away, as much as possible from foreign-made brands...having made my career in manufacturing, as long as AMERICANS make a 1st class product...well, I'm funny that way.

2001 Dolphin 5330 F-53 Chassis
Toad # 1 :2007 Chevy HHR/auto (4 down)
Toad # 2 :2011 Ford Ranger 4WD/auto (4 down)
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
One called Simitoma (Japanese mfg) and another called Ohtsu (sp) which are perported to be manufactured by Bridgestone. There's another called Hurcules that I have no info about.
Sumitomo and Ohtsu are usually built in the same plant. Sumitomo is built by Sumitomo, a very large diversified Japanese. IIRC Goodyear may still have a 25% stake in Sumitomo.
Neither is owned by Bridgestone.

However, Bridgestone and Toyo have recently signed a pact to share technology. I don't know if this will affect pass/lt only or med truck too.

Hercules medium truck is imported to the US from China. Hercules private label was started in the 50's and is reported to be the 7th most recognized med truck tire.
Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #32
Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I'm going to replace my two front tires . . . I'm looking at Toyo's. My traveling companions have them and like them quite a bit. But my rear tires, even though they are 10 years old, show absolutely no signs of cracking, wear, etc. and have tons of tread left. I just can't see replacing all four of those right now. I may replace two - the ones on the outside, and keep the inside ones in place.
GraciesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Like they say in the army...you never hear the one that hits you. You will not see the evidence of the belt coming loose from looking at the outside of the tire. Right before it goes it will become out of round. I have had a car tire do that and actually saw it before it went but the reason I looked was because I felt a vibration start up. The problem of losing the belt on a tire is not so bad on the back but it can do a lot of damage. That belt starts flapping loose and really tears up things before it finally separates. If it is the outer tire then you are most likely going to mess up that body panel around the wheel well. The inner tire coming apart can also mess up things. Now most of the body panels are made so they can more easily removed so they can be replaced. The other problem with a rear tire coming apart is if you are on a rain slick road. It is not fun. The right rear outer tire gets the most abuse from bumping curbs without knowing it while making those tight right turns in town. The first time you have a tire come apart at highway speed it will make a believer out of you. Also think of that poor little car being towed behind you when the pieces of tire start hitting it.
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #34
Duals are best replaced in pairs. It would be best to save up and replace all four rears at once.

Originally posted by GraciesMom:
I'm going to replace my two front tires . . . I'm looking at Toyo's. My traveling companions have them and like them quite a bit. But my rear tires, even though they are 10 years old, show absolutely no signs of cracking, wear, etc. and have tons of tread left. I just can't see replacing all four of those right now. I may replace two - the ones on the outside, and keep the inside ones in place.
2007 Presidio 39D

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #35
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
even though they are 10 years old, show absolutely no signs of cracking, wear, etc. and have tons of tread left
It certainly is a personal choice, but you are really pushing the recommended safety envelope by running on 10 yr old tires. I just replaced my rears in December at 7 yrs. Like yours, they looked great both outside and inside, but I was not willing to push them beyond 7 yrs. I have had several rear blowouts over the years on trucks. Controlling the vehicle is normally not an issue with a rear blowout, but the explosion and the flying chunks of rubber can do amazing damage to both the motorhome and the toad.

As mentioned, it is not a good idea to replace just one in a pair of duals. Different brands in the same size will be slightly different height, and even if you get the same brand the old one will be worn more than the new one. Whatever the reason (brand or wear), the slightly taller tire will be carrying more of the load and therefore likely to be damaged.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #36
Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Got Toyo's on the front and left the Goodyears on the back. Everyone that looked at them can't believe they're that old. Not one crack, no tread separation and great tread. They are in amazing shape. Will replace them soon. Had to get tires on the tow car too - got Toyo's for it as well. Smooth riding!!
GraciesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:41 PM   #37
I'm going to weigh in on the Chineese tires here. Please bear with me.

About 5 years ago, I upgraded my 14" rims on my 1970 Mercury Cougar to much wider 17" rims. i looked at various brands and ended up with Kumho tires. Don't know if they are chineese or japanese but they have performed flawlessy on a car that gets uses once a week as my toy car.

I just upgraded my 17" factory rims on my 96 Impala SS to 20" rims and had to shop for tires again. I had BFG G Force T/A's on the car since new. I would not get more than 30k miles on them. I ended up going with Hankook for my Impala and all I can say is WOW. I was expecting a rougher ride since I was going from a 17 to a 20 and to an off brand tire. The ride is smoother and MUCH quieter than the T/A's. The tires are fantastic. I can get back to you in a couple years for more feedback.

My 02 8311 has only 13k miles on it and has Goodyear G647 or something like that on it. One of my rear tires blew out a few weeks back since it appears that i drove on it while it was flat for a bit. Once I filled it up and plugged the hole, the tire sidewall blew after 2 miles. The tires looked like brand new but they are 7 years old so I started doing my homework again on tires. The Goodyears were going to cost near $2500 and that was too steep for me. I found some GT's at allen tire and I bought those for $1480 installed. GT stands for two chinese words that I can't remember but they are chinese. Went on a small trip this past weekend with them and they handled perfectly and rode nice and quietly.

The Allen tire guy had a bunch of tires available and what he said made sense... will I wear these tires out or will they get aged before they wear out. he said that if I can't wear the tires out, then consider the off brand tires cuz I won't have issues with them. he also said that if I am a full time RV'er, then he highly recommended the Goodyears because they are better.

I hope this info is helpful to some. For me. I save $1k when I needed. I am sorry that I could not buy american but $1k is $1k.
2002 Sea Breeze 8311
Zogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #38
Originally Posted by redboots View Post
My only comment on your tire selection choice is, if you purchase one of the lower priced and lesser known brands and you require a replacement out on the road, where are you ever going to find one? Having to buy a mis-matched tire to get you home, and then having to buy another one to match once you get there will probably eat up any difference in original cost. Just something to consider in your decision. I see no real reason to replace them every 5 years unless they are showing some signs of distress, like dry rot. Why not invest in a tire pressure monitoring system and run them a little longer if wear isn't the problem?
I agree, otherwise there's nothing wrong with any of the other brands and would go with Bridgestones unless I could beat their price, which I did with a set of Goodyears. I'm planning on 10 years for these like the last set of Michelins. Since that time Michelin went through some severe sidewall cracking problems, but not sure when it began and when it ended if indeed it did end.
07 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_C9 Clatterpillar_ Allison 3000
1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (SOLD)
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #39
I've had great performance from my Chinese tires. I now have them on every vehicle I own including our MH and have had them for years.

Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #40
National RV Owners Club
The tires in Corona was at Canyon tires 951 3711704 I believe it was Brian that I worked with 760 total for 2 installed and balanced 235/80/22.5
Noleakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I suspect there are plenty of entirely acceptable Chinese tires. But there have also been some very bad ones, resulting in some recalls of Chinese passenger car and trailer tires in the last two years. I just don't know the Chinese brands well enough to know which are quality and which ones may have come from the manufacturer(s) that were putting out the crap tires.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #42
I replaced my Class A MH Goodyear's (at 5 years and one blowout) with Ohtsu tires about 2.5 years ago, so far they have worked well. We have put about 15k on them without problem.

Jack and Jane

2001 Damon Intruder 369
Intruder01 is offline   Reply With Quote