Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2009, 04:55 AM   #1

Off Brand MH Tires

I need to replace the tires on my RV. I've been shopping and of course the so-called best tires out there are Michelin or Goodyear. And they are also the priciest. I have run across some other brands that are far less expensive - One called Simitoma (Japanese mfg) and another called Ohtsu (sp) which are perported to be manufactured by Bridgestone. There's another called Hurcules that I have no info about. Has anyone out there either heard of or used these tires or any other "off brand" tires that they could comment on? Does anyone know of an RV tire rating service or forum where one could get some insight into the RV tire world (price vs quality vs ride, etc)? The RV tire thing is sort of a dilemma - you certainly want good reliable tires on your RV but it is also a little painful to watch $2000 sitting in your driveway most of the time - I never wear these things out, they just have to be replaced every 5 years because of age factor. Any advice out there? BTW, I am looking for 225/R70-19.5 tires. Thanks, AMW
seabreezeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:29 AM   #2

My only comment on your tire selection choice is, if you purchase one of the lower priced and lesser known brands and you require a replacement out on the road, where are you ever going to find one? Having to buy a mis-matched tire to get you home, and then having to buy another one to match once you get there will probably eat up any difference in original cost. Just something to consider in your decision. I see no real reason to replace them every 5 years unless they are showing some signs of distress, like dry rot. Why not invest in a tire pressure monitoring system and run them a little longer if wear isn't the problem?

Red Boots Ranch
redboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #3

Don't fool around with tires or brakes. Some "bargain" brands (read: Chinese) have been PROVEN to be inferior...they cheated with safety features during manufacturing. Sumotomo..advertises alot...but I don't recall seeming them on motohomes (I really don't look, anyway)...I replaced my Goodyears with Goodyears. Reasons? Goodyear makes a 1st class product. Goodyear is what came with my motorhome....and...even tho different manufacturers say their tire is the "same size", there ARE differences...and while a "difference" doesn't matter when mounted by itself on the front....the SPACING between the rear tires is very important. Some "same size" tires rub or bump each other under certain conditions...something you don't want or need. Make sure BOTH rear tires (on each side) are the same brand and size. Keep them inflated properly.
Bottom line: many times a "bargain" is NOT a "bargain". Quite often the "so-called best" of ANYTHING....there's a reason for it.
And....you've bought a VERY expensive toy. You wanna go cheap and save, what....50 bucks on TIRES?

Good luck whatever you do!
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #4

In the 225/R70 19.5 you are pretty limited to what specific brand and model tire is avalable.I know the Goodyear has a G647 avilable and I believe that is all for them. Michelin offer the XRV, and the XZA models. My old Goodyears in the 8R19.5 size went on for ever without any unusual wear but five years went by and I had to replace them. I thought that since Goodyear had been so great I would use them again so I couldn't get that older tire anymore so I bought the new G647 RSA tire. The first set started to wear off both the inside and outside treads and all tires. I have weighed my MH fully loaded and even called the engineers at Goodyear and made sure I had the correct tire pressure. After 5000 miles the wear was really bad and Goodyear said they had a problem and to take the tires in. Goodyear swapped them to the RSS series and the wear slowed down but was still there. They still haven'tfixed the problem. I went back to Goodyear and they sent out a factory rep and he said my alignment was off. I argued that it was OK for the first set of Goodyear tires so why not these. I had both the front and back alignment checked and found nothing wrong $$$$$$. I called the factory rep up and he told me I should not have bought that tire model and size for my MH because they were designed for emergency vehicles and were too agressive for a MH. I told him that the Goodyear catalog recommended them as the ONLY tire that Goodyear offered for a MH with my size tire. He blew me off and said it wasn't a Goodyear problem and the original installer should swap them out for another brand of tire. Sure. I am waiting until they wear down enough and I am going to put on a set of Michelin XZA tires. I have talked to other MH owners that used that same Goodyear tire in the same size and they also have the same problem. The Goodyear tires appear to work very well in the large 22.5" tires but not in the 19.5" tires. So you don't go through this same BS I would highly recommend buying Michelin and not Goodyears in that 19.5" tire size.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club

I have Toyo on the rear and Michelin on the front. The local Goodyear dealer recommended the Toyo over Goodyear. Claim’s they are equal to Goodyear or Michelin but somewhat less in cost. Haven't had any problems with either one.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #6

Jonelsr, what size are your tires? How many miles do you have on them now. Did you put a wider tire on the front or are they the same all around? Which Michelin do you have and which Toyo do you have?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #7

I just replaced my 7 year old michlins with new michlins.Putting off brand tires on to save a few dollars might work but one blowout could erase any savings . I my opiniln body damage or possibly worse is not worth the saving.I guess i'm not a gambler.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #8

Having worked in the Tire industry for 36 years I can say without doubt that there is a difference between better grade and lower grade which equates to price
Goodyear,Michelin both build quality tires with heavy tensil strength. The equates to twists per square inch of the wire. The quality of the rubber compound also comes into play
Availability is a big thought.
Stay with one of the two that build RV quality tires
Boater4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #9

I had posted the following and got this response on another forum. I was seeking info on the Kelly KRP in 225 70 19.5
My spare was $221 including M & B
--------------------------------------
CARVAL Motorsports
Curious if anyone is using this tire brand. Kelly is an Goodyear owned subsidary. Here is my situation:
Current tires, Michelin, on vehicle when I purchased this past May. Blowout on tag axle in September on way to track. Partial sponsor (Flynn's Tire/OH, PA, WV)sets me up with a Kelly KRP to replace spare. Our unit is in storage now, but I am replacing ALL tires in spring. They felt this was a comparable tire, less expensive to GY or M. Of course, I will do better $$$ through them, but they also carry GY and can order M. I am fearful that I may buy these, mount them on the RV and find that they are rough or harsh riding. That is my number one concern. I do feel that they will perform in the other areas of compare to the other manufacturers. (2-4000 miles per year) Any input.

Sixpack98
Kelly is/was a Goodyear subsidiary and is an excellent tire. That said, Goodyear has closed most of the Kelly plants and moving production to China. The Tyler Texas Kelly plant was one of the most productive Goodyear facility but management thought it more cost effective to consolidate production and/or move production off shore.
------------------------------------------
CARVAL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 AM   #10

Here is a look

http://www.kellytires.com/comm...al/products/akrp.htm
Wow, I just tried this link and it goes to Goodyear. Click on the Kelly tag at bottom and navigate
CARVAL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:41 AM   #11

Mike Canter: one of those times that our experiences are so different with the same product....I have no idea what you're talking about.
My G670 19.5s were replaced by exactly the same....no problems whatsoever.

Just stay away from the Chinese stuff.
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:20 AM   #12

Jim that is real intersting. What I see is the outer tread ribs on both sides of the tires wearing on all six tires. The wear is the same regardless of position. It looks like a wear pattern caused by the tires being underinflated but they are not and Goodyear agrees with me that the pressures are correct. The rest of the tread is OK. I run 110 lbs in the front and 97 lbs in the backs. How many miles did you get out of the first set and how many do you have on the second set. What actual size 19.5 tire do you have?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:57 AM   #13

Carval, I had Kelley ArmorSteel radials on a Safari Trek that I just sold. They were great tires, never had any issues with them at all.

Red Boots Ranch
redboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #14

Howdy!

I recently replaced my Michelin 225/70R/19.5 on our MDT. My research led me to Goodyear G149. I've had problems with Michelin standing behind there product on two occasions it was always my fault (under inflated / over inflated). I'ved had tire claims with Goodyear and they have always stood behind there tires.
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote