Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

All tires sold in the USA are FDOT approved. It doesn't mean a whole lot - just that the manufacturer has complied with DOT standards for tire labeling and certified that they met certain US standards. No testing or anything like that by the FDOT.

One of the shortcomings of the off-brands is that it is hard to find a tire pressure chart for them. Rarely are they found online and the dealer may r may not have one either.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
All tires sold in the USA are FDOT approved. It doesn't mean a whole lot - just that the manufacturer has complied with DOT standards for tire labeling and certified that they met certain US standards. No testing or anything like that by the FDOT.

One of the shortcomings of the off-brands is that it is hard to find a tire pressure chart for them. Rarely are they found online and the dealer may r may not have one either.
Not quite true.
NHTSA does do some random sample testing. I know because I have been involved in some of that testing.
But it costs money and who is going to pay?
I know that the majors do continual monitoring and testing in production and have dozens of machines running 24/7 in their plants trying to be sure that all tires comply. Recalls are unbelievably xpensive at multiple hundreds per tire so they really want to avoid recalls if at all possible. Its a lot cheeper to scrap a batch at the producing plant than to spend the hundreds of dollars per tire it costs to do a recall.

RE what load inflation to use for an "off brand". If you check the links in my signature you can look up the load & infl charts for a number of different manufacturers. You will note that almost all have identical numbers for load & inflation for the same size.

1. get your unit weighed at each corner when fully loaded.
2. Consult the charts to learn your minimum cold inflation requirement
3. Check the cold inflation before the start of each trip.
4. When inflating cold tires do not exceed the Max for the tire or the Max for the wheel.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #17

My 1988 SuperCheif has 8R19.5 Dynatracs ST990's with 110 max on the sidewall. I contacted the manufacturer and they sent my a tire chart for that one tire. I compared the info they sent me to the Michelin chart that is on this site and the numbers were identical, and very close the the Goodyear chart. Based solely on the GVWR supplied by Winnebago, I can run these at 75 PSI.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
My 1988 SuperCheif has 8R19.5 Dynatracs ST990's with 110 max on the sidewall. I contacted the manufacturer and they sent my a tire chart for that one tire. I compared the info they sent me to the Michelin chart that is on this site and the numbers were identical, and very close the the Goodyear chart. Based solely on the GVWR supplied by Winnebago, I can run these at 75 PSI.
Glad you were able to get the info from Dynatracs. I would caution you about taking your GVWR and dividing by 4 or 6 to determine your minimum inflation.

Many coaches have 2% to 6% side to side variation on the same axle and very few approach a 50/50 F/R.

At a minimum get the Front axle and Rear axle weights by them selves. Then untill you get a 4 c0orner weight when the RV is fully loaded, I would suggest you assume that one side carries 55% of the load on that axle. Base the mimimum inflation for ALL tires on that axle on that inflation.

You didn't say if you have duals on the rears. If you do be sure to use the Dual load which is not the same as the single load you used for the front infl.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #19

Good feedback. There are duals in the back. But, my primary rational is that the orig. specs from Winne state to use 70 psi all around based on GVWR I should be safe using those (70 to 75) numbers vs the sidewall numbers. I agree that a more exacting method would be two get it weighed.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Given that your RV is 22 years old it should have had two and maybe three complete tire changes.
If you aren't the original owner I wonder what the original tires were (Load Range)?

8R19.5 are rated at 2835#F & 2680# for each rear at 80 psi which is Load Range D. If your tires say 110psi they are Load Range F which are certainly more expensive that D's or E's.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #21

They are indeed F's...
Old 08-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tireman9,

I am posting this message to you rather than sending a private message because I think others toy with the idea of buying the much less expensive tires even imports.

Question 1: Would you recommend purchasing the Remington tire even though it is being discontinued?

Question 2: Do you feel or have reason to believe import tires are tested sufficiently to use them on a MH?

Dave
Old 08-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Denochs
As those that attend my seminars know I do not make recomendations on specific brands. Or for that matter on tires from any specific plant, state or country.

BUT I think that if you buy tires from a large multi-loaction (multi city or multi state) dealer (like NTB, Tire Rack, Pep Boys, Les Schwab and other similar) or a tire company store you will probably be getting a good quality tire.

This is not to imply that independent dealers do not sell good quality tires but if you ever have a problem, which would you rather deal with. The guy who is 750 or 2000 miles away who sold you a GoodStone or the local tire store owned by BridgeYear?

RE Country or state of origin
I have seen and heard of test results for tires made at some locations that are on a par with the best. I have also seen and heard about some test results that could imply that tires made at Plant-X (note I did not say in Country or State X) may not always be as good as they could be.

So again. Do you think that a major tire company or a large retailer wants to have it's reputation hurt by selling questionable tires?