Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #1

"Off brand" tires and psi.

Just purchased a 2000 Bounder a few months ago. The previous owner had just put new tires on it a few months and 200 miles ago. The steering tires are "Dynatrac" and the rear tires are "Advance". I have never heard of these tires and was looking for some input. I had a blowout years ago on another motorhome and do not want to experience it again. However, I also don't want to replace brand new tires if I don't have to. Also, I know that everyone recommends having all four corners of the MH weighed and then adjusting tire pressure according to manufacturers charts. I will be going on a 3 hr trip in a few weeks before I will have the chance to have my MH weighed. Max pressure on these tires is 125psi, I believe. What pressure would you recommend until I can have my rig weighed?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too have not heard or seen those brands of tires before. But just because I have not heard of them does not make them a bad tire. My suggestion would be to read the chart on the wall by the drivers seat of your Bounder and see what Fleetwood recommends for tire pressures. I have a 2003 Southwind and Fleetwood recommends my 19.5 tires should have 95 lbs. I would think what Fleetwood specs on your chart should be a safe pressure, unless you feel you have added more then the normal amount of supplies in the RV or are hauling a trailer. In that case maybe bump up the pressure 5 lbs.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Stump Jumper,
Look on the wheel and see what the maximum pressure is, for the wheel. Many time this is less than for the tire. As for the PSI to run, until you get your coach weighed, the previous post is a good suggestion.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both Dynatrac and Advance brands are made in China.
Tire Defects - Private Label and Private Brand Tires

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #5

The tag on the motorhome (to the left of the driver's seat) says 80psi but this would be for the tires that were on the coach in 2000 right? The current tires show a max pressure of 125.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Stump Jumper,
You are correct about the tag to the left of the driver's seat. Please remember to check your wheels to see what the maximum PSI is. Gut feel says it will be less than the maximum PSI of the tires.

One does not want to use the maximum pressure on truck tires by default. Have the coach weighed and put the correct PSI in the tires according to the weight being carried.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Anybody heard of WANLI truck tires I have two 255/70R/22.5 on my front. Fairly new. Never heard of this brand. They are regroovable S3073

China product.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Nuttmann
If it were me and factoring in your stated fears I would consider putting "name" tires on the front. Just because something is made in China does not mean it is poor quality. For example Ipods are made there and they are very good quality. I bought a used Saturn for a tow car. It had new China tires on it when I bought it. The tires are fine so far.

But on my RV I have Michelin and a set of Goodyears on the tags. IMHO and this is only an opinion. Michelin are the best tires made. After that I think very highly of Bridgestone, BF Goodrich, and Goodyear. I have heard very good things about Toyo tires on motor homes, but have not owned them. The tires just mentioned are the only ones I would buy for my coach.

A coach tire blow out on the front is far more dramatic than a car. That is why I don't mind the off brand on my Saturn. That said, when I have to replace the tires I will likely go for one of the above mentioned with the addition of a couple more brands like Firestone, Kelly, Cooper.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had Dynatrac tires on my old coach and never had a problem. They never cracked like the Michlins.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #10

I have had Dynatrac tires on my front wheels for 3 years now with no problems. I run mine at 95psi based on the weight at the scales. However, I also have Yokohama tires on the rear wheels (85psi) and they have been excellent. Will replace my Dynatrac with Yokohamas when due.
I would not like to run any tires close to the max. rating stated on the side wall.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #11

my only advice for tires no matter what type of vehicle is this: Your vehicle only makes contact with the road in 4 small areas under your 4 tires (motorcycles being an exception with only 2 small areas). I'd never use "off brand or "cheap" tires. Always go with mid-range to upper end tires for safety reasons...it's not worth it to go cheap with tires.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my Pace Arrow the sticker at the drivers side states 100 PSI front and rear. There are specification stickers in a rear closet and that states 95 front and 85 rear. The latter is correct. The Fleetwood stickers in a rear closet will give you everything from paint codes, interior materials and colors, all weights, tire size and inflation info and a lot more.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I always add five to the tire PSIs that the coach recomends, and never had a problem! To hard and hard ride and to soft is dangerous and wears tires! The Coach makers know whats good for that rig! allegro5
Old 07-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs down

Only "known" tire brands come on my MH. Are the tires DOT approved?

TW is offline   Reply With Quote