Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Off-Road Diesel

They say the only dumb question is the one not asked. I'm hoping the smart guys in this forum give me that grace.

I noticed a couple of stations out on the west side of Orlando sell "off-road diesel", of course it cost quite a bit less.

So my pea brain gets to thinking, I have an older RV ('97). Is this off road diesel just the stuff they used to sell before the mandates for the ultra low sulfer? If so, is it safe to run in my older RV?

OK, let me have it.

David

DEG503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Yes, it's safe to run in your 1997 vintage diesel, but since the road tax hasn't been paid on it, it's highly illegal!

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I might be able to live with illegal. But not highly illegal. I'm guessing if I pulled up to that pump they would laugh me out.

Second thought, so it's not that the stuff if cheaper to make, it's just not taxed?
DEG503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
It's to be used in farm equip, etc, it has a dye in it and if it ever shows up in your vehicle evens yrs down the road means trouble.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabop View Post
It's to be used in farm equip, etc, it has a dye in it and if it ever shows up in your vehicle evens yrs down the road means trouble.
It always amazes me that we seem to have enough manpower to police something like red dye in diesel fuel and cannot manage to have enough staff to keep suspected bombers off airplanes.

The problem with getting caught with the dyed diesel isn't that they slap your wrists - they slap your wallet and hard. It is typical of governmental programs that the stiffest fines go to those who try to avoid paying even the road tax by buying the cheaper diesel. Murder, bank robbery - all OK but just don't use untaxed diesel. The fines are $1,000s.

Cynical, who me?
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They would'nt let you pump it in your Mh tank. They have even more to lose than you.
You could fill 5 gal cans though. Commercial trucks have a much better chance of being caught.
Probably slim chance that a MH would be caught. Unless they check the fuel when you have your emission test.
Kind of a hassle filling it from 5 gal cans though
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #7

How much are you going to save verses the hassle of getting it then worrying about getting caught
Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #8

Back in Alberta I've noticed many vehicles with 'FARM' plates that certainly are not farm vehicles... SUV's, Lexus, etc I sure hate it when someone is taking advantage of me when they don't pay their fair share of taxes.

Eh!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksrus View Post
Back in Alberta I've noticed many vehicles with 'FARM' plates that certainly are not farm vehicles... SUV's, Lexus, etc I sure hate it when someone is taking advantage of me when they don't pay their fair share of taxes.

Eh!
Yeah, it's just like when they had the 'Hummer Tax Loophole' for about 4 years (large SUVs like Hummers, Excursions and Escalades could be written off under the same tax provisions as farming equipment (Loophole In Tax Code Means Big Tax Breaks For SUV Buyers | KOMO News - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Seattle, Washington | News Archive))
Old 01-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Probably slim chance that a MH would be caught.
That's probably true...unless you have the misfortune of running across a road block where the police are checking just for this situation. Happened a few years ago on AZ-95 between Quartzsite and Parker.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
....or unless you stop in a rural town for lunch on the day that the livestock auction is going on. It's not unusual for all diesel-powered vehicles to have their tanks "dipped" by the authorities on those days, although they are primarily looking for the farmers and ranchers who have filled their trucks from their off-road diesel tanks.

Rusty
Old 01-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Dyed diesel is not cheap

<<....or unless you stop in a rural town for lunch on the day that the livestock auction is going on. It's not unusual for all diesel-powered vehicles to have their tanks "dipped" >>

They no longer dip to test. They use an battery powered sniffer that tests the tailpipe, with the engine off. It can tell if there has ever been road diesel in it. Next door farmer got hit with a $ 5,000.00 fine. He was at a farm auction. Welcome to Texas.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoadjuster View Post
They no longer dip to test. They use an battery powered sniffer that tests the tailpipe, with the engine off. It can tell if there has ever been off road diesel in it.
Well, how 'bout that? Technology marches on. Ain't it wonderful.

Rusty
Old 01-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was always suspicious that someone was looking up my tailpipe. EEK it's my dear old Uncle Sam, cold nose and all. VIVA LA 2nd amendment !!!!!!!!!!!

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote