RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Off Site RV

For those who house their Class A RVs offsite, I will be moving and can no longer park my RV at my house. What difficulties do you encounter parking off site? Any suggestions for looking for a storage facility?

russue125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can afford it and there's a facility around- get an indoor (or at least enclosed on 3 sides + a roof). It will save on your maint costs and help preserve your rig in general. Don't know where you live so can't recommend anywhere, just search and look around. Out here near SF Bay Area we now pay $180.00 X 2(have boat also).

Old 04-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

Don't leave anything of value inside, or in the outside storage compartments. Things tend to disappear. Over several months time last year several rigs were broken into where we store ours, along with our own. Police say it is very common in RV storage facilities. Even with fence, lighting, and cameras.
They did eventually catch the guy (a drug addict) through fingerprints, from an unrelated crime. He was selling the stolen items at the local pawn shop, for cash.
We had to replace two outside storage compartment locks that were forced open. Tool box was stolen. More of a hassle than a financial loss. We now take anything of value home with us.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
At a minimum find a covered storage lot, even if it's open on the ends. That will protect from hail, etc and some sunlight. I'm of another thought on security. We don't leave anything of real value and I never lock my door or the compartments. I do have an audible alarm on the coach door. After 25 years as a LEO, I can confirm that if a thief wants in they will get in and do more damage than what they steal. They can take the few tools and my lawn chairs if they want!
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #5

Try to find a place that's on concrete or gravel.

I have used the same place for 3 years that's hard packed earth, you can guess what it's like after heavy rain.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by russue125 View Post
For those who house their Class A RVs offsite, I will be moving and can no longer park my RV at my house. What difficulties do you encounter parking off site? Any suggestions for looking for a storage facility?
We use a storage lot to park the RV very secure with plenty of cameras, lights, and a gate with a code to get in everyone has their own code.
$150.00 per month
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We park (store) our RV out in the open at a storage place 4 miles from home. It's paved (aphalt) and stripped. There is a gate, cameras and we all have unique codes to get in and out.

In our part of South Texas it's $112 a month for uncovered. Covered parking is $175 and indoor storage is $260/mo.

I had covered parking but it was much more difficult parking under the covers due to such close parking to others and the structure holding the roof. We gave up and wen't back to uncovered. (See my thread about swinging the rear of my RV into a support pole and the $28,000 cost to get it repaired)
Old 04-26-2019, 02:15 PM   #8

just google 'RV Storage near me'. many Public Storage lots have space for RVs.
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Due to HOA covenants, we store our coach an hour away at DH's dad's farm. Pros: we have electric hook up, it's under cover & someone to watch over it. Cons: Having to pack perishables & haul to/from every trip & not having it nearby to putz around in it & we have to plan any maintenance we want to do. Can't just do it on a whim in the evenings after work.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #10

Here's a few things I have learned about selecting an offsite storage. First I found that a gravel lot can allow for burrowing rats to pop up anywhere on the lot safe from predators so I'd look for paved surfaces. Secondly try for a space in the middle of the lot, not around the edges, especially if it is surrounded with wooded area. Mice and other vermin don't like to cross open areas where they are vulnerable.

While gates, fences, and cameras should be a must, they don't always discourage all thieves. We had one break in where they cut through a chain link fence, trashed our trailer, stole a few items and killed a perfectly innocent 12 year old bottle of scotch.

Finally it is nice to have power at the site. Just make sure there is enough amperage to run what you need.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #11
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

My thoughts on storing outside vs enclosed

IMO, having an RV parked outside, unused, for long periods of time, is a sure way to watch it deteriorate in slow motion, easy prey for thieves, often run into by other tenants causing damage, great place for rodents and animals to become squatters and ruin the coach and chewing wiring among other things. Before we went FT, I choose to pay more for an enclosed storage stall, 13.5" x 50" with a rollaway door, concrete floor, 20amp outlet for $260/mo. in Houston, TX.

This area not only kept the coach safe, but it provided a great place for months for me to work on it and perform upgrades, kept all my tools and provided an outlet where I could plug in and keep batt's charged all the time. Many of the projects and mod's I did took severals days or weeks to finish. By having it in enclosed storage, at the end of the day, I could merely close up, leave everything the way is is, come back the next day and pick up where I left off. So basically what I'm saying is, an enclosed storage area makes a great work shop too.

I’m not going to spend a lot of money on a nice MH, then spend countless hours and more money upgrading and preparing it for FT and then park it outside where it's vulnerable to robbers, rodents, severe storms, sun, crazy people running into it and all the like. Even it we weren't going FT, I still wouldn't put it outside.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #12

In Central Florida outdoor storage runs anywhere from 60-175 a month for outdoor fenced and generally a 3-8 month waiting list. Indoor $400-$600 a month 1-2 year waiting list
flaglercpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've been using outside storage for 30 years now, at the same storage facility, which is about 6 miles from our house. The yard is asphalt, fully enclosed , with on-site security - people who actually live on-site. It's open from 8am to 6pm daily (except Thanksgiving and Christmas) and we need to show our credentials to gain entry. When the gates close at night they let out some guard dogs for added security. In the 30 myears we've been there we've never had a break-in, and the only damage we've had was when a cabover camper in the spot next to us fell against our trailer during an earthquake. The only damage it did was to make a tiny bump in the aluminum skin of our trailer. Then 2 years ago the creek behind th property flooded during our winter storms and we took some damage from that, but that was our fault because we forgot to update our phone numbers with the office so they could not contact us to move our motorhome out before the flood waters rose.

Currently we're paying about $130 per month; indoor storage in the area runs about $350 per month...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Buy an RV lot.

Samuise is offline   Reply With Quote