Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #1

ohhhh, nan 4 grand no spark

Hey, thanks for the opportunity to get some advice. I have a 95 fourwinds w/ an onan 4000 microlite series 4ky D. It all started to go bad when I replaced the fuel pump that would not stop running on, and on. then, I got it started. After it was warm, I shut it down and changed the oil. It started fine, but it died after a few minutes. Still have correct oil level, but no spark at all. HELP, PLease. Biiglakeubba

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #2

only advice i can think of is look up a cummins dealership they worked on my gen 4 k onan 1993 fleetwood pace arrow in edmonton alberta canada fixed my problem pricy though

Joe

Old 09-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
If the generator gets its fuel from the coach fuel tank, check to make sure the fuel is above the fuel pickup on the tank. The pickup is set high to keep you from running out of fuel and stranding the coach. The generator will quit when you have anywhere between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank in the coach fuel tank.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #4

Quote:
It all started to go bad when I replaced the fuel pump that would not stop running on, and on.
The pump kept running or the unit would not shut off?
Either way replacing the fuel pump would not have solved the original problem. Fuel pump would only stay ON because Control Board told it to.
Did you use a stock Onan replacement fuel pump of an automotive replacement pump? If automotive, is it only 3 to 4 psi? Anything greater will flood the carburator.

When you say "4KY D", Do you mean 4KY Spec D?

KY Service Manual:
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0503.pdf

Read the Control portion (Section 7) first to learn how things work. Then go to the Troubleshooting portion (Section 6) to isolate the problem (Initially it sounds like bad control board). The schematic (wiring diagram) for a Spec D version is on page 12-3 & 4.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
If the generator gets its fuel from the coach fuel tank, check to make sure the fuel is above the fuel pickup on the tank. The pickup is set high to keep you from running out of fuel and stranding the coach. The generator will quit when you have anywhere between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank in the coach fuel tank.
Thanks for the comeback. I finally got off my duff and really dug into the onan service manual I have. The problem is not fuel. I am getting fuel, just no spark. It all seemed to start when I changed the oil. Oil lvl. is up to snuff though I thought that may have been the problem because it has a low oil level shutdown. Anyhow, the book is misleadng and at one point in their huge troubleshooter sends you to the page for oilpan and low oil lvl swtch removal. But, I found the test procedure in another spot. It says, If the low oil level switch is suspect, disconnnect and recheck set operation. I suppose that means trying to start it with the l.o.l switch disconnected. I shall do that today and let you all know what happens. Z out
Old 09-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglakebubba View Post
Hey, thanks for the opportunity to get some advice. I have a 95 fourwinds w/ an onan 4000 microlite series 4ky D. It all started to go bad when I replaced the fuel pump that would not stop running on, and on. then, I got it started. After it was warm, I shut it down and changed the oil. It started fine, but it died after a few minutes. Still have correct oil level, but no spark at all. HELP, PLease. Biiglakeubba
Sorry, I forgot to mention I have fuel pressure. My apologies.