Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
Probably been discuss but I did not pay attention. I live in fl and going to Nigra falls and I try to change oil every 3000 miles. I was told that syanthic oil would be better?

JIM Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Probably been discuss but I did not pay attention. I live in fl and going to Nigra falls and I try to change oil every 3000 miles. I was told that syanthic oil would be better?

JIM Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I'll give you my opinion, which will not even get you a cup of coffee.

As far as engine oil is concerned, I doubt that synthetic oil provides much advantage over dino oil under normal operating conditions. However. under extreme conditions of heat and stress, syns apparently will out perform standard oil. I put the syn in to give myself peace of mind that I have given my engines (all of my vehicles and generators) the maximum protection that I can provide. Hopefully I will never test the limits of the syn oils.

When I had a gas powered coach, I really appreciated the fact that I had the syns in the engine and tranny when I was crawling up the long grades in the Rockies. My GM powered Workhorse worked hard for 15 to 20 minutes at 4000+ rpms while going up some of the grades in the mountains. I felt confident that the syns were paying for themselves at that point. Additionally, I had no problem with extending the oil change interval to 6k to 7k miles. This allowed me to do an entire trip out west and return home without having to do an oil change.

With a factory recommended oil change interval of 15k miles on my diesel, I'll change the oil once per year or 15k miles. In reality I put on about 12k miles per year and change the oil. I do this just prior to our annual 2 month summer trip so that I have "fresh" oil in the engine when we leave. The rest of the year is spent in good old flat Florida where the engine is almost asleep as we go down the road, so it's under a low stress situation.

I use syns in all other applications on the coach also- trans, front bearings, rear axle, and chassis grease.
'05 Dutch Star 4015, '16 Rubicon OlllllO, & HD Ultra ElectraGlide, NKK14278L
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:40 AM   #4
I would say that 3,000 miles on most engines today is too soon. Even non-syn oil is way better than it used to be and engines and filters take care of oil better than they used to.
Syns can extend the change interval, if you keep the oil clean. There is no doubt that they work better than dino oils at very high and very low temps. They also have a bit better lubricity, but don't look for mileage or power increases.
The extra protection of synthetics is often talked about, but oil related engine failures are rare anyhow.
I use syns in my generator, since it doesn't use much and I feel bad for the poor thing. I use it in my race car since it doesn't mix as readily with the alcohol fuel. My van and wife's car go 5000 miles or more on dino oil between changes. Take this info for what it is worth. There are those with very strong opinions out there about synthetics. I'm not one of them.
Bucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are going to change every 3000 miles anyway, I would not go to the expense of synthetic. Modern oils perform well under a wide range of conditions and it makes little sense [to me] to throw away expensive synthetic oil at 3000 miles.

But I would not change the oil at 3000 miles if it was the middle of the trip - I would be willing to go at least 6000 miles if you have a relatively late model Ford or GM V8. You didn't mention engine model or age, so it is hard to be specific.

The important place for synthetic fluid is the transmission and rear axle. If you don't already have it there, I would suggest changing.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote