Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #1

Question Oil

I have heard several folks using Amsoil in there engine and grease for the tranny and rear end. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with the Amsoil product ?
Was thinking of changing my oil out. Need some good feedback on this. If this product is no good that could be quit expensive if something goes wrong.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #2

First of all, I have been testing oil in combustion engines for many years. No matter what you have read, synthetic oil is for real and will increase your engine life and allow you to increase your oil change interval.

I haven't tested Amsoil, but have tested Mobil Delvac 1 for diesel engines (its name has now changed), Valvoline diesel synthetic diesel oil, and Mobil 1 for gasoline engines.

The synthetic oils I have tested provide superior performance far greater than their increased price. After my tests, I use synthetic products in all the systems in my mobile equipment.

The non-synthetic oils are better today than ever before, but aren't equal to the modern synthetic products.

I can just what the negative response will be, but I don't care.

Wil

wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #3

I personally stay away from Amsoil. One of the biggest reasons is their 2 stroke oils. I know motorhomes use 4 stroke but if they don't work well in 2 strokes im not putting it in my really expensive stuff. Many manufactures that make the 2 stroke engines I use (for hobby/completion use) do not recommend Amsoil any more. In fact one manufacture specifically states no Amsoil or warranty will be voided. I just stick with Ford branded oil or Mobil 1. Cannot go wrong with Mobil 1. Many manufactures that use full syn in their cars use Mobil 1. Just my $.02.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #4

No problems if you are out of warranty coverage. Cummins engine states that regardless of oil used, change intervals designated in the owners manual do not change.
This long discussion right here on irv2.com is interesting.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
... Cummins engine states that regardless of oil used, change intervals designated in the owners manual do not change...
That's what my manual says, too.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use Mobil 1
Old 09-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a turbo there is every reason to use synthetic oils. Many New vehicles come with synthetic oil today like the Corvette. Amsoil is usually sold by local distributors who buys it from his local distributor. Seems everyone gets a piece of your dollar. Personally I prefer Shell Rotella for diesels. But, I've used Mobil 1, Royal Purple & Mobil devac when it was available. I had a 92 Pontiac with over 350,000 miles when the transmission quit (guess I should of put synthetic in that too. If you are out of mfgrs warrenty you can virtually double or extend the oil change intervals. I witness one test where vehicles were run over 18000 miles with out changing oils. filters were changed at 10,000 miles. engines were torn down at 100,000 miles and they showed no sign of excessive wear. I have a CAT C-7 and change oil annually. Usually travel less than 12 or 15,000 miles each year. Safe travels... ed
Old 09-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #8

Hocus pocus, magic pixie dust, stars in alignment and various other assorted errata. Stick with Delvac or Rotella, change according to the manufacturers recommendations. Personally I change every 5000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first regardless. Each year I send 1 quart of used to be analyzed for anything odd. Genset is changed religiously at 175 hours or once yearly whichever comes first.

8.3C Engine:
22 quarts Rotella 15w40 - approx $85.00 + $30.00 Fleetgard filter
Genset:
3 quarts Rotella 15w40 - approx $12.00 + $8.00 Fleetgard filter

Cheap insurance in my book. No hocus pocus.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Hocus pocus, magic pixie dust, stars in alignment and various other assorted errata. Stick with Delvac or Rotella....... No hocus pocus.

Seems strange to me that you recommend quality oils such as Shell Rotella, but then go on to call synthetics "hocus pocus"?

There's a lot of scientific data from various reputable sources that say synthetics are superior oils. Mobil 1 is a good example. Most high end auto manufacturers specify synthetics only in their engines. On what do base the "hocus pocus" statement?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #10

If my rig were a gasser, I'd run synthetic (but probably not Amsoil, though I do believe in their lubes). I run synthetic in everything else though, including the diesel generator and tractor. In a Cummins/Cat diesel, with the fact you are not able to extend the oil change interval when running synthetic, I just don't see the point? Especially in light of the fact that a well maintained diesel run on dino oil has a reputation for going so many miles as is?

If it makes you sleep better knowing you have synthetic in that crankcase, I say go for it! I doubt you're hurting anything?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #11

I've only used Rotella in my semi trucks, 15-40. Mobil One in all the gas vehicles. The geny calls for a higher vis so I used 15-40 Rotella for the first oil change. Have since switched to 5-40 Rotella synthetic in the geny but still use plain ol 15-40 in the diesel trucks. I use 5-30 Mobil One in the V10 MH and would like to use the same in the Jenny, but the air cooled Jenny calls for a vis with 40 at the end. Just one oil would be simpler, and the 5-30 M1 in the Jenny would probably surfice, but may be a little thin in hot weather according to the Onan specs. Never use oil testing as I don't believe in it. Just a rigorous service program.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #12

Murf2u, there is nothing inherently wrong with synthetics - I have nothing against them provided those who use it understand you still need to change it just as regularly as traditional blends. Regardless of the base oil used, the synthetics may "last" longer (chemically) before breaking down but they still get dirty. For example... when you send samples to Blackstone labs for analysis the particulate matter contained with 1 quart of used synthetic is exactly the same as within 1 quart of traditional/non-synthetic from the same engine. The oil itself may "last" longer but it's still contaminated with the same particulate from the combustion process. The same oil filtration is used regardless of the type of oil. So where is the benefit? Re-use the same oil and simply change the filter? I think not.

Additionally people run synthetic and suddenly think they can magically extend their oil change intervals to 10k or even 15k miles. That would mean for most of those with motorhomes they may only think they need to change their oils once every 3-4 years.

Regular oil changes with a fresh filter and once yearly oil analysis will catch any problems such as abnormal bearing wear, faulty/leaky injector(s) etc quickly before major engine damage may occur. I'd rather spend $400.00 annually changing oils and filters and having it analyzed by Blackstone rather than deal with a hidden problem that could result in complete rotating assembly failure that for most would cost in excess of $15,000 for engine replacement.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Murf2u, there is nothing inherently wrong with synthetics - I have nothing against them provided those who use it understand you still need to change it just as regularly as traditional blends. Regardless of the base oil used, the synthetics may "last" longer (chemically) before breaking down but they still get dirty. For example... when you send samples to Blackstone labs for analysis the particulate matter contained with 1 quart of used synthetic is exactly the same as within 1 quart of traditional/non-synthetic from the same engine. The oil itself may "last" longer but it's still contaminated with the same particulate from the combustion process. The same oil filtration is used regardless of the type of oil. So where is the benefit? Re-use the same oil and simply change the filter? I think not. Additionally people run synthetic and suddenly think they can magically extend their oil change intervals to 10k or even 15k miles. That would mean for most of those with motorhomes they may only think they need to change their oils once every 3-4 years. Regular oil changes with a fresh filter and once yearly oil analysis will catch any problems such as abnormal bearing wear, faulty/leaky injector(s) etc quickly before major engine damage may occur. I'd rather spend $400.00 annually changing oils and filters and having it analyzed by Blackstone rather than deal with a hidden problem that could result in complete rotating assembly failure that for most would cost in excess of $15,000 for engine replacement.
This is an excellent, factual, well thought out post and I agree with it 100%.

This is the proper use of sample testing in motorhome service. It's not for the purpose of extending the change interval but to see what's going on in the engine.

The same is true for the transmission.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #14

I am not quite sure what all the fuss aboiut changing the oil is. If you do regular maintenance there should be no problems. Since most coaches are older stick with the maintenace program you are suppose to use. If all the truckers would fuss the way we do there would bo no trucks on the road they would all be "playing' with their rigs. Oil and air is what diesels want. Synthetics or regular oil is a matter of choice and bucks. I run on regular oil and have on my vw van diesel for 480000 kms. Cheers Gerald