Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oil Change

I probably know the answer but as someone who always does his own oil and filter changes what does everyone do when they are on the road beyond the recommended oil change mileage? I don't imagine most RV parks want you changing your oil on their property. My wife and I are planing to cross the southern part of the country heading to AZ for the winter and we will rack up the mileage and need to change the oil 2-3 times. I'm going to guess the only answer is to stop at the big truck service centers and pay to have it changed.

Thanks, Mike
StockHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry extra filters with me, if we need to change oil on the road I call around to find someone with doors high enough to fit through and then ask them to use my filters.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #3

There is a company I think calls themselves SPEEDCO. They have places all over the country that will do this. A lot of truck centers will. You could use the suction system which will pull the oil out of your crank case and pump it into a container. You still have to change the filter, but that is not a real messy job.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I usually change my own oil. I have a v 10 ford in a pace arrow 33 foot rig. I carry a piece of green outdoor carpet to crawl around on and I have found a five gallon grease can used by restaurants to hold their old grease. It has a good cap that fits tight and it will fit into my basement compartment nicely. I have an old plastic dish pan to catch the filter and the oil in it. I carry at least two changes of oil and two filters and here is what I do.
We boondock where possible and I find a depression in the land and pull over it. I spread the fake carpet under the coach and take my wrench and my ''grease can'' and the dish pan under the coach. I can set the grease can so that when i take out the oil pan plug the oil naturally shoots into the wide spout on the grease can. I lay there and watch the oil and keep the grease can under the dribble. I usually let it dribble for several minutes and then put the plug back in and put the cap on the grease can. I take the dish pan and put it under the filter and remove the filter almost all the way...... I can tilt it sideways and the excess oil will run into the dishpan. I let it dribble for a few minutes then I carefully remove the filter trying not to let the oil drip down my arm. I put the filter in the dish pan and slide the complete mess out from under the coach and pour the ''dishpan oil'' into the grease can. I drain the old filter as much as possible in the grease can and I save the box that the new filter comes in. I take the new filter and fill it about three fourths full of new oil and crawl back under the coach and install it. the reason for filling it is so you do not get a DRY START. While you are under the coach check your tools and check that everything is tight and like it should be. Come back out and remove the fake grass and pour in the oil in your filler spout. Know how much oil your engine needs and fill carefully remembering the oil you put in the filter. D.F.U. .....(lol)
Now ,,,,,,,, take your old filter and put it into the filter box and put all that in a large baggie and seal it and put the complete mess in your dishpan. put the cap on your grease can tight and put the complete mess in your basement or the back of your truck and you have options.
one. stop at an advance store and ask if they take old oil. they usually do...
two.... I have seen people burn the oil in their campfire but I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BUT IT IS UP TO YOU........
Remember this....NEVER BUT NEVER PUT THE OLD OIL ON THE GROUND........ If you do I will find you and let the air out of your left tandems and ''peeeee'' on your step''..............
All this advise will cost you ten cents and you gotta pay me the next time you see me.....
ps. I have found small garages that will let you use their equipment to change your own oil. I have used their creeper and catch pan. I usually offer five bucks for the use of the equipment and their getting rid of the old oil and filter. Some take the money, some dont but establish a ''price''' before you change your own oil.......

Come Veterans Day lets all remember our Veterans and thank them for their service .......
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stop in most any small town in the US and you will find a garage that will be happy to do it for you at a reasonable cost. Ours is a gas model and I have never paid over $40.00 for an oil and filter change.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
How many miles do you go before you change the oil? Do you also lube your MH when you change your oil?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Man View Post
How many miles do you go before you change the oil? Do you also lube your MH when you change your oil?
I have always used the 3000 mile marker for a complete oil change and lube job. I know it is not necessary, oil does not wear out so they say. However, as hard as oil has to work in a motor home and as infrequently as they are driven, I like this schedule. I do my own and yes I always lube the m/h, that is probably more important than the oil change. I check all the fluids and hoses at the same 3000 interval.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyblueye View Post
There is a company I think calls themselves SPEEDCO. They have places all over the country that will do this. A lot of truck centers will. You could use the suction system which will pull the oil out of your crank case and pump it into a container. You still have to change the filter, but that is not a real messy job.
Speedco is for diesels only, I used them last year and they were great, very reasonable. Oil change, three filters, chassis lube and generator oil change with oil and fuel filter about a $100 less than dealer. You also get to stay in service bay and watch everything that is being done.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockHR View Post
I probably know the answer but as someone who always does his own oil and filter changes what does everyone do when they are on the road beyond the recommended oil change mileage? I don't imagine most RV parks want you changing your oil on their property. My wife and I are planing to cross the southern part of the country heading to AZ for the winter and we will rack up the mileage and need to change the oil 2-3 times. I'm going to guess the only answer is to stop at the big truck service centers and pay to have it changed.

Thanks, Mike
"Change the oil 2-3 times? How far is it across the southwest to Arizona from where you are???

8.1 Workhorse w/UltraPower,Taylor 409 plug wires,AC Delco 41-993 Plugs and OEM Engineering Fuel Filter Adaper
stubeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't get all excited I just typed 2-3 to get the thread started. We will be leaving MD heading to the Florida Gulf then along Rt. 10 to AZ. Thanks to everyone for your input and information.

Mike
StockHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #11

I run synthetic and change it every 5k miles. Walmart sells 5 qts for $22. Not a bad deal IMO.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The distance from Raleigh NC to Phoenix is just slightly less than 2,200 miles on I-40, I just made the run. Going the southern route from Baltimore is about 700 miles farther.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We run Mobil 1 with the NAPA 2 QT filter, Change once a year or 3,000 to 4,000 miles Iowa to AZ for the winter 1,550 miles one way, 5 qts for $22 at Walmart is a great deal.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:12 AM   #14

Also, if you don't want to tote your used oil around, pour it back into the containers your NEW oil came out of, and take it back where you purchased it along with your receipt. I know in many states the law requires that they take back the same amount of oil they sold you.

Seajay,
Take your portable drill, or a hammer and a nail under there with you and just punch/drill a small hole in the bottom of the filter...then you won't have to worry about oil running down your arm And the filter drains at the same time the oil pan does so you save some time

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote