Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oil changes

We will be going to the East coast this fall, probably leaving Ca. in late August heading for Nova Scotia. The object is to go down the East coast and do some leaf peeping, taking in the Fall colors. My question is, where can I get an oil change? we will put on 7-8 thousand miles and I would like to change at about 3-4 thousand. I know that you diesel guys use Speedco, but what about those of us in gas rigs? Thanks in advance.

Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Craig,
The CGs I stay at always seem to have a CG map with a variety of services being offered. I have seen oil changes being one of these services. Lacking that, I'm sure the CG staff would know a reliable local shop that would handle the oil change.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
paz

Many Walmarts will change oil in RVs. Call ahead and check.

Lots of people don't trust Walmart, but I always stand behind the fence next to the service area to make sure they get the filter and drain plug tight, and to make sure what oil they are putting in. The one I go to where we winter in FL isn't very thorough on the lube, though. I crawl under myself with a hand-held lube pump and go over everything when we get back to the campground.

You can also check the Workhorse web site for approved service centers near where you're going to be.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No Walmart for me, car, truck or MH!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:45 AM   #5

Last year we drove our gasser V-10 from the Seattle area to Key West, FL and back. I always change my own oil and filter and most other maintenance if I can. I doesn't take long to scoot under, drop the oil and filter, replace the plug, and replenish the oil. I am most comfortable doing it myself. FYI
Old 05-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #6

Almost forgot, we will be making some of your same trip but plan on leaving in September from Washington State to Nova Scotia and back. Hope to see you out there.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #7

3-4000 miles for an oil change? That's quite frequent and likely unnecessary. Have you checked the owners manual to see what the recommended oil change intervals are? I know the automotive oil change franchisees would like us all to be wasting our money changing our oil way too often but I didn't think this had spilled over into the RV industry.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #8

put mobil 1 syn. in it and change it when you get back home. on my corvette the mauuel say change once a year or 30,000 kms. i go 18000 on my deisel pickup before change
Old 05-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
3-4000 miles for an oil change? That's quite frequent and likely unnecessary. Have you checked the owners manual to see what the recommended oil change intervals are? I know the automotive oil change franchisees would like us all to be wasting our money changing our oil way too often but I didn't think this had spilled over into the RV industry.
Check your owner manual under severe service frequency, motorhomes are considered in the severe service category so 4,000 miles could be correct.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Many Walmarts will change oil in RVs. Call ahead and check.
Surely this doesn't apply to Class A motorhomes ? I have never seen a Walmart that could accomodate a 40ft rig?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
There seems to be a new business nitch growing in certain areas throughout the country for mobile lube service like this one. You call them, make an appointment and they come to you, as long as your RV park will allow it.

Here is another one.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had not heard of the Mobile service, if that catches on it would be convenient. I wonder how the campgrounds would feel about it.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #13

Many truck stops also have repair facilities that you can also get an oil change done.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:52 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Had not heard of the Mobile service, if that catches on it would be convenient. I wonder how the campgrounds would feel about it.
There are some parks that don't allow any repair or maintenance of vehicles on their premiss however I think this is different. The lube services have the tools and equipment to do a fast clean job and they take away the old oil. Like anything else that's new, it takes time to catch on but eventually the parks will allow it. If your interested and there is one in the area where you are I would talk to the park owner and let him see the equipment they have to ease any concerns about them making a mess.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote