Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #1

I am planning a ~3000 mile trip next spring and was wondering if I should get an oil company credit card. I have the usual MC, Visa, and Discover cards already. I am currently using the Discover card as I get 5% discount on all gas purchases. Just don't know if I will have problems finding a station that takes the Discover card.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #2

I am planning a ~3000 mile trip next spring and was wondering if I should get an oil company credit card. I have the usual MC, Visa, and Discover cards already. I am currently using the Discover card as I get 5% discount on all gas purchases. Just don't know if I will have problems finding a station that takes the Discover card.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:44 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
HI; the only disadvantage would be if the
bill incurred a late payment fee then all the savings will disapear. Also, if there stations
that have access in & out. i would read from your signature (30'+towed) might not be a problem.my rig is 37' + saturn towed. i have to choose carefully in - out. my short trips 200+/-
doesn't amount to much savings;but gas in east tn. can't compare to your area. good luck.
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Discover offers a gas cash-back card that is accepted at most stations. It is all we use and pay the balance monthly.

No reason to use a gas company card.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

No reason at all to have an oil company card. Rare is the station that doesn't accept Visa/MC and Discover and you could always carry another card as a back-up. It's good to have two cards (kept in separate places) in case one gets lost or stolen or some accounting snafu invalidates one of them. It happens.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #6

I try to use Flying J for our fuel needs. They cater to MH folks and with the FJ RV Club card they offer discounts. Now being a thrifty New Englander, translation cheep yankee, I use the Discover discount credit card for the discount and the Flying J RV card for more discount. Adds us when buying 125 gallons of diesel at a time.

1990 Foretravel with Detroit Diesel power.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I too have found Discover to be the best all around. It is accepted almost everywhere, especially the major fuel retailers and coupled with the Flying J, and it's affiliates, does add up to some savings. Also Discover has the best online statement, makes it really easy to pay on time thru the computer banking we use.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #8

BigRed

We also use the Gas Discover card and also the Flying J discount card (use them both when filling up at Flying J and get an additional
1 Cent off per gal). Go here to get your free Flying card www.flyingj.com and click of Loyalty club.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Starting this month the Discover Card is only good for $100 with the 5% rebate per MONTH. That's about 34 gallons. And, the cap is the same $1200 a year.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Consider the American Express Cash Back Card. One gets 5% back on fuel, groceries and pharmacy. 1% on everyting else. There is no limit to the cash back rebate. There is no cost for the card. All fuel, grocery and pharmacies I patronize accept the AMEX card.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
Consider the American Express Cash Back Card. One gets 5% back on fuel, groceries and pharmacy. 1% on everyting else. There is no limit to the cash back rebate. There is no cost for the card. All fuel, grocery and pharmacies I patronize accept the AMEX card. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the AMEX card is the Blue Cash Back card you will not get 5% cash back until you charges exceed $6500.01 in a calender year. From $0-$6500.00 your cash back will be 1% for food, fuel and drugstores and 1/2% on everything else.

-Tom

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I try to use Flying J for our fuel needs. They cater to MH folks and with the FJ RV Club card they offer discounts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A couple of thoughts from me after we completed a 7500 mile trip to the mid-west this summer.
1. Even with the Flying J discount, we found most stations down the road offered better prices than Flying J.
2. All stations will accept VISA, MASTERCARD, and most accept Discover and AMEX.
If you chose to use an oil company card you may very well pay higher prices for "the privelege". We always look for the lower price and shop the town for the best price, regardless of the brand.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
$425 is what I received from BP Visa (Chase) in the first 12 months.
5% gas, 2% restaurant and travel, 1% all other purchases.

10% for the first 60 days on gas. Plus I received a
$75 bonus for signing up and using the card, in the summer of 2006

Also have Discover but it limits you to 120.00 back on gas at 5%.

Use Discover only when I can't use the BP Visa.

When we travel this winter I will sign up for a new BP Visa in wife's name.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tom N,
You are correct on the AMEX ramp up to the full cash back. I guess the bottom line is each person needs to read the fine print on a CC and then subscribe to a card or two that gives their charging habits the best deal. Since I do over the ramp up amount each month, for me, AMEX is the best deal. Any card with a cap on the rebate, teaser rebate or I need to ask for my rebate and wait for a check, I run from. But that is just me, based on my CC purchases.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote