Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #15

If you are good with a dermatologist, borrow his or her liquid nitrogen can. cool the plug with at least one canfull of LN2 and hit with hammer. the plug should break into little pieces. If the plug does not break, while its cold remove with pipe wrench. I have removed many stuck bolts this way as heat will cause the bolt to expand and lock tighter. Warning__ the LN2 is cold enough to freeze tissue (your finger ect) so be very carefull and wear gloves and eye protection

stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Had the same problem a year ago with my Onan 7500. No way to get a pipe wrench, etc on the plug as it is recessed. I thought about ez out, but instead I went to an auto parts place and bought a stud removal set. There are several different sizes, like a socket. You tap the right one on, and the harder you have to turn them the more they bite in and grip the "stud". BUT BEFORE I removed it, I got a replacement plug. Interesting to note that the replacement has a larger head ...looks like a pipe plug.

This year the problem was the dessicant filter ...BOTH were last serviced by IP Trucks in Ft Worth where they apparently use gorillas for mechanics.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #17

sometimes you have to weld a washer onto the rounded plug to give you enough room for a nut big enough for the job, I have done this many times on my old tractor, loosen the drain plug as soon as you are through welding and then wait before removing it till cooler.an oil change pump will get almost 3 quarts out but is really hard to get into the onan. i did this on mine until a friend told me how to loosen the plug with a 3/8 " extension, drive the end that goes onto the rachet onto the plug and turn it with another wrench, but this of course is not going to work for you now.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Welding a nut to the existing one (or bolt) is where I'd start. It also applies enough heat to possible free it up (much more than a blow torch)...........
I lkie this idea. I also like the Pipe wrench idea as well.
one way or another the plug needs removed.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Wonderful advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDP243 View Post
...a friend told me how to loosen the plug with a 3/8 " extension, drive the end that goes onto the rachet onto the plug and turn it with another wrench, but this of course is not going to work for you now.
I tried everything to get a grip on the head of the oil drain and kept removing metal on the edge. Tried a 3/8" extension with a pipe wrench on the end and came out with NO problem. Thanks for the sharing!

Tom
Old 09-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #20

Well Gang,

Almost year ago to the day, I posted a series of problems I was having with my Onan 7.5QD. One of which was the infamous "sensor" that has given so many motor home owners a fit. Well, that sensor, was EXACTLY as hard to get out as the OP is having with his oil plug. I too used just about every tool in my tool box to try and get it out.

Well, in the end, with damage done beyond repair to that mean little sensor, I ended up using a can of "Freeze" on it. It's already been suggested but, not quite in the procedure I did. What I did was, heat the surrounding area with a pensile tipped propane torch and, then, sprayed directly on that sensor, some of that "Freeze". I did it for about 5-7 seconds. Now, up to this point, that sensor was winning the battle and the war.

But, as soon as I put the can of that Freeze down, and put on a vise grip that was already set for the proper size, what was left of that plug, almost spun out by hand. I didn't need any torque on those vise grips what so ever.

Now, I don't know if the OP could use the same tactics because there's oil still in the pan and that oil will draw the heat away from the surrounding threads of the plug. And, in my situation, there were two different metals involved, brass and aluminum. But, in his situation, I'm thinking both the plug and the threads of the pan are steel. Now, will that make any difference, heck, I don't know.

Will my tactic work in his situation, don't know that either. At this point in time, it might be worth a try. Never heard of an oil plug being that hard to remove. But, I'd have never, ever thought my temp sensor would have caused me the grief it did either.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #21

+1 on welding. The plug is a bit recessed if I recall so Mig may be hard to get access. If you cannot weld then just drill out as another poster said. Once you get a lot of the plug drilled out it will come out. If you do have to drill, I would rinse the oil pan with either oil or diesel to rinse any stray shavings out.

Oh, don't overtighten the new replacement nut ;-)
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #22

Sounds like an excellent time to install a Fumoto valve. They come with different sized threads. You could drill and tap new, smaller size threads (select the valve first) into the OEM plug, screw in the Fumoto valve and you're done. Never to deal with a stuck pan plug again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Sounds like an excellent time to install a Fumoto valve. They come with different sized threads. You could drill and tap new, smaller size threads (select the valve first) into the OEM plug, screw in the Fumoto valve and you're done. Never to deal with a stuck pan plug again.
I found an ez drain at O'Riellys. The size is 1/2"-20. Mine wasn't stripped yet.

It is similar in function to the one mentioned above. Manual recommends oil be changed every 150 hours. This will sure make it easier. Best $10 I have spent.

Tom
Old 09-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #24

Have a fumoto on my 7.3PSD, and love it with one exception. It drains slowly enough that a slight breeze blows the oil from hitting my drain pan.

Back to the OP - Any luck yet?
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #25

AKEYZOO... I had the same issue on my Duramax... get a length of clear plastic hose and fit it on the Fumoto nipple and feed it into the oil pan.
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem. The 3/8 extension worked great. Replaced the old plug with a new 1/4" cap plug from my local hardware store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wrench.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	57593   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	57595  

Old 03-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Using a torch, you'd have to get really hot because you have a few quarts of cooling media directly above the plug (a few quarts of oil).

Also, when welding, keep the ground clamp as close as possible to the electrode. Not sure where a good spot is since the Genset might be isolated from the frame by rubber mounts.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #28

Love Photos!