Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-02-2011, 05:12 AM   #15
iRV2 No Limits Club
To completely drain the oil you need to get the drain plug out, I would never darken the door of any place that sucked out oil from the fill tube. I would use an impact wrench after having soaked the plug in a penetrating oil for days (clean it off prior to trying to put a wrench on it). I had some bolts on a 72 Saab Sonett that I soaked with Kroil for three weeks prior to using an impact wrench, and the brake adjusters for the rear drum brakes required that I buy a square wrench.

Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #16
I learn something new everyday

2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
you can suck the oil out of the fill hole. harbor freight has a suction gun for this purpose.

Search results for: 'oil suction gun'
Fairly common on boats.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
Buy a good expensive socket that won't break, use a breaker bar and hit the end with a heavy hammer. It will pop loose. I have changed the oil in three new Onan generators and that is how I removed the drain plugs.

Then, good luck with the oil filter.
my onan 5500 marquis gold genny has a valve on the bottom aft side of the fill port with a drain line that goes under the genny for draining the oil. ims it is a 1/4-1/2 turn valve. it drains the oil very well, all 2 quarts of it. i don't know if my genny even has a below decks oil sump drain plug.
napa sells a 3 jaw cam type filter wrench that works well for removing the oil filter. the part number is 775-9018. the wrench works better if i keep a rubber band around the 3 jaws to keep it tight.
the op's question was specifically about draining the genny oil, not any engine oil sump.
imho sucking the oil out of the onan genny through the fill hole would be a very good alternative to removing a balky oil drain plug.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:08 AM   #19
Take your socket and use the square side of a socket that attaches to the rachet. Use the socket that the normal side will fit in the square post of a breakover bar and a little muscle will remove the plug. Remember, Onan probably used a Gorrilla to tighten the drain plug.
tucdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:24 AM   #20
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
FYI... Wintergreen oil available at most drug stores in 2 oz bottles is the best penetrating oil you will find. Liberally apply it with a cotton swab around the drain plug head. Wait a couple of days and do it again. Never found a seized bolt yet that that did not work on. In your case a little heat may help as well. Be carefull if it goes BANG, RUN.....!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins powered Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Honda CRV, tow-N-4 Down, U.S. Gear Unified Tow brake, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #21
The plug should have oil on it now, it sits in oil I would try the impact gun
then try a local machine shop to see if they have a secret
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #22
A picture might help figure out what to use.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #23
Pipe wrench if all else fails.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So I wasn't the only one that had trouble getting the oil plug out of the gen set. Who do they have installing these things and why so tight?

I was luckier than the OP, I did, eventually, get mine out without rounding it off, but what a PITA, and all while laying on your back with inches to work in.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #25

If all else fails you can try an easy out tool if you have the space to get a drill in that area. You can pick up the easy out a most auto parts stores. It'd be messy but it can be done.
Safe Travels
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #26
Winnebago Owners Club
Unfortunately, some of the quick lube places also cross thread and over-tighten drain nuts 'cause the workers know very little about what they are doing!
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
Seized plugs should be soaked with Kroil - It has been tested by laboratories and surpasses durn near every loosening agent - but wait ! A mixture of 50/50 acetone and tranny fluid has been tested to work almost as well as kroil. [That Wintergreen oil post must have been a funny.]
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #28
I finally got the plug out. Used one of those special sockets with teeth and a pry bar.

2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote