Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #1

Oil drain plug too tight

Went to Speed co for an oil change and Genny service and they could not get the oil drain plug off the Genny.

Slapped some W D 40 on it and I tried with my socket wrench when I got home with no success. Wont budge. Now the socket slips on the nut. How the heck do I get this thing off? Any suggestions?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #2

Blow it or suck it out of the dipstick tube if you can't get the plug out.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #3

If the head of the plug is too rounded off to use a tight fitting socket or box end wrench, then your next best option is a pipe wrench with possibly a cheater over its handle. The extra torque may break it loose, but try applying a good penetrating oil (not WD40) and tap lightly on the plug with a hammer before straining a muscle pulling on the thing. Running the genset to warm up its crankcase may also help loosen its grip on the plug. Once removed I would replace it with a new plug, and "not so tight" this time! Good luck, Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #4

Buy a good expensive socket that won't break, use a breaker bar and hit the end with a heavy hammer. It will pop loose. I have changed the oil in three new Onan generators and that is how I removed the drain plugs.

Then, good luck with the oil filter.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #5

They make sockets just for stripped off bolts buy one and use a long breaker bar.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I tried everything on ours, every wrench I had, I even bought and tried splined sockets, that are supposed to work on almost any shape. Nothing worked, very exasperating. I was at the point of drilling it out. It was a square head plug, best guess 10mm. I finally had to take it in. They got it out and put a hex head plug in its place. Should be much better next time.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #7

2X on all the ideas. It might sound weird but first try to tighten it a little bit then try to remove it. It has worked for me a number of times on "too tight" bolts.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #8

A trick that's worked for me at times is to buy a six point impact socket that is just a bit smaller than what would be required if the drain bolt were new. Then hammer the socket on, and remove with a ratchet handle or breaker bar. With the breaker bar, you can continue to hammer as you apply torque to the bolt.

Swapping between metric and fractional is helpful for "in-between" sizes.

As an example, 13MM ia a bit smaller than 9/16 inch, and 12MM is a bit smaller than 1/2 inch.

Easy to compute with 1 inch = 25.4 MM
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
First, make sure you are turning it the correct direction to loosen it. If it is rounded, you will want to replace it and the gasket/washer anyway, get the pipe wrench and a cheater bar and break it loose.

When reinstalling, use a new gasket/washer and do not over tighten it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #10

Look at this link! The vice grip pictured in the lower left will remove items with rounded heads if you can get them locked on and then are able to grip them in some manner.
http://www.gooregonindustrial.com/ir...kingpliers.htm

Dick.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #11

Use a propane torch to heat the area around the bolt, some PB Blaster, a pipe wrench and cheater bar should do it.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #12

Appreciate all the feedback. Now I have some things to try. The comment about blowing or sucking the oil out.... was that a joke or is it actually something that can be done?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Appreciate all the feedback. Now I have some things to try. The comment about blowing or sucking the oil out.... was that a joke or is it actually something that can be done?
you can suck the oil out of the fill hole. harbor freight has a suction gun for this purpose.

Search results for: 'oil suction gun'
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:24 AM   #14

Some of the quick lube type places do it that way.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote